I was kinda disappointed at the fact with my limited budget I could only buy enough Maris Otter for 1 batch, I didn't think it was anything special to be had so I balked at the $.50 increase over 2 row. I did go with my gut and bought the recipe ingredients for my MO SMaSH rather than Biermunchers Cream of Three Crops.
1) Holy shnikey there was a ton of trub, I didn't whirlpool cause up to this point I havn't needed to. I used 5lb for a 2.5g batch. This was mistake #1
2) After 2 weeks in the fermenter I was transferring it into the bottling bucket and notices that I still had so much trub that my Mr. Beer keg, with the spigot as low as it was, was pulling a fair amount of the trub along with it. Mistake #2 was that each bottle had a little bit of protien break trub, and the last bottle is almost all trub.
3) I also noticed when transferring to the bottling bucket that I still had yeast that hadn't died off yet, so it was still working on the beer when I bottled it.
Hoping that I don't get bottle bombs, knowing that I will have to keep more than 1/4in of beer in the bottle to keep the junk out, and realizing if I keep doing all-grain I really need to whirlpool...
I tasted one today, and while it is only 1 day after bottling it actually tastes remarkably good. You can tell it's green, and you also get a flavor profile that tastes "meaty" from the various bits of stuff that was still floating around in suspension. At least that's what I assumed it was from. I am going to try another batch exactly the same with whirlpool this time to see how much the protein break affected the flavor vs. how much was the Maris Otter itself.
I have no idea how efficient I was, I still don't own a hydrometer for my BIAB batches so I'm kinda winging it and hoping everything is working as directed.