Man, I've got to start making more Low Grav beers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a nice porter in my basement right now. 3%ABV maybe 20IBU's with a slightly fruity/malty nose from the windsor yeast and munich, with a coffee-like roasty character underneath from the chocolate malt and some black patent . Every morning, I get home from work at around 6:30am. No reason to really get drunk, I'm already tired and have plenty of stuff to do around the house, but a good light ale really hits the spot. I quaff a good 20-40 ounces of beer and I haven't even lost my urge to do the stuff that needs to get done.

Man, the old Londoners had it right! Beer for breakfast, beer for lunch, beer for dinner! :ban:

I just brewed my first mild and I am so surprised at how full and rich it tastes. Low gravity does not compromise flavor!

I'm with you.... I need low alcohol. My cut-off switch seems to be volume more than intox.

I've made a rash of low ABVs

Ed's PA
Summit PA
BierMunchers Cream of three Crop Ale
Very soon Jamil's Blonde

I can't drink two Qrts & be half-in-the-bag. Especially when SWMBO is gonna be saying go get more diapers. :D

Numero uno on the way....

I have a nice porter in my basement right now. 3%ABV maybe 20IBU's with a slightly fruity/malty nose from the windsor yeast and munich, with a coffee-like roasty character underneath from the chocolate malt and some black patent...

Recipe or it didn't happen ;)

Sounds tasty, I like the lower gravity beers but the few I've brewed so far seem to be 'empty', like they need more flavour or body or something.

Small beers are fun to make, but there isn't much room for error. I find adding some rye malt, aromatic malt or corn (if you're mashing) can fill out the flavor. Maltodextrine adds body without ABV.

90% of the beers I make are below 4% alcohol. I love the flavour but I don't like all the alcohol. Plus they're fun to make because you have to be really careful with your ingredient selections as there is much less room for error. Not too mention they tend to be quite a bit cheaper to make. :)

Recipe or it didn't happen ;)

Ok, here's what you do... Start with 18lbs of 2 row, 2lbs of munich, and 1 lb of aromatic malt. Take about 3 gallons of wort to use as a base for a barleywine which will receive later additions of DME. Then add 1/2 lb of crystal 60 and 1/3 lb of chocolate and take another 6 gallons.

Now add in 1/2lb of carapils, 1/4lb black patent, 1lb munich, and 3/4lb chocolate. Run off the last 6 gallons.

Then I did a 45 minute boil because I was lazy. 1oz fuggles at 45, 1/2oz at 20.

OG 1.032; FG 1.010; IBU 20.6; 2.9%ABV.

Yep- I'm a fan of low-gravity brews for this very reason. I like a good IIPA or RIS sometimes (I really do enjoy those beers), but find myself wanting a nice flavorful session ale a lot more often.

...they're fun to make because you have to be really careful with your ingredient selections as there is much less room for error.

Depends on how you make them. For me, I added about 15-30% more grain to whatever recipe I'm brewing and squeeze out another 6 gallons. It makes the sparge really easy since I'm not worried about minimizing sparge water and the cost is almost nothing- a packet of yeast, an ounce or two of hops, and 2 or 3 pounds of grain. An extra batch for $12 or so

Back