Making up a recipe - sound good or nasty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbg96

Reaction score
Yet another throw out thread to the wiser heads.

I'm going to bottle a recipe-followed IPA this weekend. First ever batch, things seem to be going well, yay me. I'm thinking I'm inclined to turn right around and try another batch but this time just make up a very, very basic recipe.

I've got a hops vine - from pictures on the ol' web, I'm pretty sure they're Millenium. I'm thinking using these plus probably about five or six pounds of DME and some kind of smack pack ale yeast and see what happens. I'm hoping for kind of an aleish result with an alcohol percentage in the 5-6 range.

1) Any ideas on what I can expect?

2) Think it'll suck? Be decent? Wha?

3) Think I'm in the ballpark on alcohol?

4) Etc?

Thanks...:mug:

I'd add some caramel/crystal grains, say half pound of 20L-60L. Here is a beer calculator. You will only be able to factor in color and OG since your unsure of your IBUs.

Alrighty. I looked at the beer calculator link, became thoroughly confused due to not coming near understanding everything I was being asked let alone what various terms meant etc. Then the technology began to frighten me, so I began hitting my computer with a stick out of lack of any better ideas. That proved ineffective for giving me guidance although it did eventually close the browser and remove the site from my screen.

I think the only thing I really got out of that was expected color.:drunk:

Back