Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Making homemade specialty malts, Caramels, Chocolates, Toasted, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
MVKTR2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Making homemade specialty malts, Caramels, Chocolates, Toasted, etc.

Guys I'm kicking around the idea of creating my own specialty grains. I'm wondering if there is a guideline for creating the standard basic grains like;
Crystal 20, Crystal 60, Crystal 120, Chocolate, Roasted Barley, maybe Victory etc. I've seen the recent roasted/caramelized malt episode on Basic Brewing, and it could be a starting point. Just wondering if there's a resource, or some input from "the braintrust."

No matter how it turns out, I think it'll be fun. The greatest challenge should be the highly roasted malts which might be easy to burn.

Begin input NOW! I'll check in later tonight/in the morning, off to the HBC meeting.

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4838 Times on 4438 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Check the science books threads for pdf links. IIRC, Brewing Science and Practice has some lengthy descriptors of heat ranges used for many of the specialties.

that, or any other text on malting practices should be a good springboard.

Good luck.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Basic Brewing did a show on roasting malted barley. Google it and check it out.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:53 AM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4838 Times on 4438 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerkrump View Post
Basic Brewing did a show on roasting malted barley. Google it and check it out.
Shut up and count Gilbert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
Guys I'm kicking around the idea of creating my own specialty grains......... I've seen the recent roasted/caramelized malt episode on Basic Brewing, .....

Old 08-21-2009, 05:00 AM   #5
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
. . I'm wondering if there is a guideline for creating the standard basic grains like;
Crystal 20, Crystal 60, Crystal 120, Chocolate, Roasted Barley, maybe Victory etc. . . .
I haven't seen a listing of guidelines all in one place, also I believe most maltings have their own specific guidelines and procedures that may or may not differ from others. The closest thing I've found is here:

BMG - Beeston Malting Company
Which says this towards the bottom of the linked page: "Beeston Crystal Malts
Beeston's caramalt and crystal malts are all produced from green two-row malt using the following method: The surface moisture is dried off at about 122 °F (50 °C) for approximately five minutes. The malt is then stewed at approximately 149-167 °F (65-75 °C) for about 40 minutes to stimulate the conversion of starches to sugars (crystallization). Drying and curing then takes place at about 176 °F (80 °C) for another 40 minutes, depending on the color required. The final drying and curing temperature varies among products; curing is typically done at about 275 °F (135 °C) for approximately two hours, depending on the color required. The darker the colors, the more intense the flavor."

There is a listing of a bunch of malt houses on the link and some of them have specifics as to time(s) and Temperature(s) for making their different specialty malts, as well as base malts. Some of them however don't give any details. Hope it helps.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Thanks for the hints GilaMinum/COLObrew

I'll have to look into some of this deeper.

I'm seriously wondering how someone goes about making the darker malts, choc. & roasted barley. It seems it would take a close watch to keep from burning them.

For the record I know I can purchase this stuff for a lot less pain in the neck than it will cost to make them. I'm just curious about making my own & tasting the results at some point.

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 08-22-2009, 03:26 AM   #7
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
I'm seriously wondering how someone goes about making the darker malts, choc. & roasted barley. It seems it would take a close watch to keep from burning them.
I made some black and chocolate malts and roasted barley as noted in this thread, don't know if you've seen it yet: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/happ...ml#post1392078

But I haven't tried them yet. Also I have no idea what lovibond they are, etc. more research is needed. If you find some specs regarding any of this, please post them.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:53 AM   #8
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 975 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

Randy Mosher's book "Radical Brewing" has detailed instructions on both roasting grains and making crystal malts

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Old 08-23-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers View Post
Randy Mosher's book "Radical Brewing" has detailed instructions on both roasting grains and making crystal malts
I have that one, I'll have to peruse it again.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:39 AM   #10
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLObrewer View Post
I made some black and chocolate malts and roasted barley as noted in this thread, don't know if you've seen it yet: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/happ...ml#post1392078

But I haven't tried them yet. Also I have no idea what lovibond they are, etc. more research is needed. If you find some specs regarding any of this, please post them.
Going to check it out now, thanks! Knew I wasn't alone in this quest, genius loves company Edit: Oh that's the famous "home malting" thread... wasn't expecting that, thought you were simply roasting, not doing the full monty... I'm not that crazy man!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers View Post
Thank you. I've been kicking around which book would be my next to purchase; Radical Brewing, Designing Great Beers, or the Sam Caglionie (sp?) book the name excapes me right now!

Schlante,
Phillip

Quick Reply