Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Making a glass carboy shatterproof?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #31
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Yes......

And the results, I'm not going to answer, you can skim it yourself. I skimmed it earlier. It took all of 5 minutes. A scroll button is a great thing for skimming forums.
Thanks for being helpful....

Anyways, the only test that I was able to find via pictures wasn't enough to convince me that plastidip would do anything more than contain the largest glass debris. Dropping a carboy into a cardboard box onto slate in the grass is far from a worst case scenario. I'd venture a guess and say a full, plastidipped glass carboy dropped from waist height onto a concrete floor would still explode into glass shards.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #32
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG View Post
Thanks for being helpful....

Anyways, the only test that I was able to find via pictures wasn't enough to convince me that plastidip would do anything more than contain the largest glass debris. Dropping a carboy into a cardboard box onto slate in the grass is far from a worst case scenario. I'd venture a guess and say a full, plastidipped glass carboy dropped from waist height onto a concrete floor would still explode into glass shards.
IMO, your best bet would probably be with the spray-on bed-liner material. It's cheap (under $10 for the can I linked to earlier) and should do a good job. The stuff is typically designed to withstand impacts of decent intensity.

You could do a test with a glass bottle (so you don't risk your carboy) and see how it worked. If it seems good, ramp up to the carboy and go at it. I do think that Revvy's earlier suggestion about adding mesh screen is a good one. Especially if you use the metal screening (less risk of it being cut).

I don't use carboys (glass or plastic) to ferment in anymore. Nor do I use buckets. So, I don't have anything to test with here. What I use to ferment in has more potential to damage what it gets dropped onto than itself.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #33
tinman1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I use a cobination of web holders I made myself or the milk crate transport method. They are an inherent danger, but for long term storage, nothin beats glass. Just a note to ponder.... My LHBS had "trade in days" last year that allowed you to swap your good clean non-chipped glass carboys for better bottles. You might ask your LHBS if that is something they would consider...IF using glass has got you worried.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #34
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman1 View Post
I use a cobination of web holders I made myself or the milk crate transport method. They are an inherent danger, but for long term storage, nothin beats glass. Just a note to ponder.... My LHBS had "trade in days" last year that allowed you to swap your good clean non-chipped glass carboys for better bottles. You might ask your LHBS if that is something they would consider...IF using glass has got you worried.
Actually, that myth has been busted already. HDPE is just fine for long term aging (members here have done it for over a year without negative impact).

Personally, stainless beats the snot out of glass (and plastic). NO light can penetrate stainless, where some can penetrate the plastic buckets used.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
People Like This 
Old 11-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #35
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticBear View Post
After the extreme fascination of studying my first few beers as they fermented and buying as many glass carboys as my wallet and fermenting closet could handle... i became a little more practical and switched to plastic buckets.
I have a bunch of glass carboys, but I really like buckets. They just work so well. Easy to use, easy to clean. And since I can't see what's going on, I don't dick with them as much.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #36
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4940 Times on 4513 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
I might be wrong, can't find what I read before. But IIRC, PET/PETE only leeches chemicals if they get really hot (like leaving water bottles in your car in the summer) or after very long storage. Since most beer is only in the bucket for 3-4 weeks it is not a long enough time to leech anything significant.
If I remember correctly, there have also been lots of threads about PET/PETE and glass carboys containing lethal amounts of dihydrogen monoxide. It's a wonder any of these things are considered safe for anything.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #37
adamjackson
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Just switch to better bottles. Shipping them to your house is cheaper, they themselves are cheaper, easier to clean and tote around..just all around better.

I've had two carboys break in 6 months and I'm done.

I'm a bit crazy...about beer.
My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Old 11-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #38
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2773 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjackson View Post
Just switch to better bottles. Shipping them to your house is cheaper, they themselves are cheaper, easier to clean and tote around..just all around better.

I've had two carboys break in 6 months and I'm done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon View Post
I have a bunch of glass carboys, but I really like buckets. They just work so well. Easy to use, easy to clean. And since I can't see what's going on, I don't dick with them as much.
Have you guys not read the comments in here about NOT making this a plastic vs glass vs bucket thread? The PREMISE OF THIS THREAD is to share ideas about how one WOULD MAKE A GLASS CARBOY SHATTER PROOF. The MODS have even come in and said to keep conversation to the topic at hand.

From the mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakbarn View Post
Moderator note: There are plenty of other threads encouraging brewers not to use glass carboys. Please feel free to add to those threads or start a new one on that topic. Lets keep this thread on the OP's topic - using glass carboys safely.

Pappers_

We ALL know about plastic, hell, I prefer it, BUT THE PURPOSE OF THE THREAD IS TO COME UP WITH IDEAS TO MAKE GLASS CARBOYS SHATTERPROOF for those who want to have this discussion.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #39
jcam91
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

How about foam wrapped around and under carboy. Seems to me if it was thick enough a 4 foot drop wouldn't mean buying a new carboy. Also would keep it insulated and light proof. Not permanent either.

Brew on folks!

Old 11-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #40
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4940 Times on 4513 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Have you guys not read the comments in here about NOT making this a plastic vs glass vs bucket thread? The PREMISE OF THIS THREAD is to share ideas about how one WOULD MAKE A GLASS CARBOY SHATTER PROOF. The MODS have even come in and said to keep conversation to the topic at hand.

We ALL know about plastic, hell, I prefer it, BUT THE PURPOSE OF THE THREAD IS TO COME UP WITH IDEAS TO MAKE GLASS CARBOYS SHATTERPROOF for those who want to have this discussion.
But Revvy, replacing glass carboys with Better Bottles DOES make the glass carboy shatterproof. I mean, duh!

Quick Reply