Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Making a glass carboy shatterproof?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #21
stpug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 368 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 171

I use glass carboys almost exclusively and I love them, however I haven't ended up in the ER because of one either. I recognize that they are GLASS and thus are fragile, not to mention they are large panes of curved glass that get heavy and slippery. I got it and I attempt to be very careful when moving them around but recognize that accidents can happen. I switched from buckets to glass about 17 years ago and if I had to do it again today I would probably go with better bottles; assuming my research proved that they are inert and safe for long storage of acidic liquids. Actually, I'm considering adding to my fermenting arsenal and am looking at better bottles as an option for the "it's safer" issue already mentioned (BTW, do they make PET buckets? I would go that route if they did).

Regardless, about ideas to make glass carboys shatterproof. I have one issue with most of the ideas given, with the exception of plastidip, and that is that when I clean my carboy I like to get them clean inside and out. Tape will deteriorate and flake overtime which I can only imagine would eventually end up inside the carboy. I like the idea of plastidip but does it actually "grab" on to glass or is it a loose coating held in place by it's dried shape? One material I thought of was a foil tape (I know, it's still tape) that has about a 1mm backing of gummy rubber. I think it's commonly used for ducting work and to make airtight seals. I've used it for ducting where duct tape eventually came loose, and have used it on the roof of my house for sealing a small leak between two pieces of flashing where it sits exposed to UV all day everyday, and it still clings fast. It's moderate in price. To cover an entire carboy would certainly cost maybe $10 (hopefully no more), but it's also light impervious so would accomplish a couple tasks. I can't see it breaking down very quickly but it very well could. Anyway, it's food-for-thought.

Back to PET bottles, is there such a thing as a 7+ gallon PET bucket?

Edit:
So I just came across this site describing PET/PETE and the potential of leeching antimony trioxide?? Is this true?
http://beerlegends.com/fermenting-bu...lastic-carboys

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #22
AMonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 336 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpug View Post
Edit:
So I just came across this site describing PET/PETE and the potential of leeching antimony trioxide?? Is this true?
http://beerlegends.com/fermenting-bu...lastic-carboys
I might be wrong, can't find what I read before. But IIRC, PET/PETE only leeches chemicals if they get really hot (like leaving water bottles in your car in the summer) or after very long storage. Since most beer is only in the bucket for 3-4 weeks it is not a long enough time to leech anything significant.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #23
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1034 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 2110

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
you are right. However, if I was given 6 glass carboys today, they would go STRAIGHT on Craigslist and the proceeds would buy BUCKETS.

I would NOT use them, no matter how many I had.

How many "I smashed my carboys on purpose" threads are there? Not a ton, but a lot.
I believe this is the third post in this thread's first two pages where you've said that. Its been heard. Many people prefer carboys for many reasons. Let them discuss it, please.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

"People who ask a question want a conversation as much as they want an answer." b-boy
Revvy Likes This 
Old 11-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #24
oakbarn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Moderator note: There are plenty of other threads encouraging brewers not to use glass carboys. Please feel free to add to those threads or start a new one on that topic. Lets keep this thread on the OP's topic - using glass carboys safely.

Pappers_

Old 11-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #25
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 682 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Moderator note: There are plenty of other threads encouraging brewers not to use glass carboys. Please feel free to add to those threads or start a new one on that topic. Lets keep this thread on the OP's topic - using glass carboys safely.

Pappers_

Old 11-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #26
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Found them. I remembered that one of the solutions was "Plasti-dip"

Here's one of the threads. Trying to solve the carboy problem

And in there I actually had linked two other discussions I had recalled. But they never went anywhere. The one above did.
I don't feel like wading through 15 pages of discussion... did anyone take the plunge and break a glass carboy coated in plastidip (either intentionally or accidentally)?

Old 11-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #27
kblankenship11
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I wonder what a Gorilla-Glass carboy would cost...

Old 11-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #28
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Hmm ... How about bedliner?
Yeah, you can even get it in a spray can.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #29
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG View Post
I don't feel like wading through 15 pages of discussion... did anyone take the plunge and break a glass carboy coated in plastidip (either intentionally or accidentally)?
Yes......

And the results, I'm not going to answer, you can skim it yourself. I skimmed it earlier. It took all of 5 minutes. A scroll button is a great thing for skimming forums.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #30
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Going back to Fiberglass....imagine the possibilites???? You could shape it any way you wanted.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Stauffbier Likes This 

Quick Reply