Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Making a glass carboy shatterproof?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Before I dipped a whole glass carboy in plasti-dip or wrapped it in auto film or duct tape, I'd consider a Better Bottle. It's one of those things that makes me wonder.
I believe this discussion, just like the discussion in the original thread I posted, where people tried all sorts of ideas, is for people who ALREADY OWN GLASS, and want to continue to use them, and be safe about them.

For example someone just posted within the week, that they scored 6 glass carboys. I can see, like I did years ago in that thread, how this would be appealing to folks who have them, or still find the superior to plastic.

Me personally, I use buckets and Better bottles, and am slowly going all Better Bottles as my buckets get replaced. But I can STILL see the merits of this idea for those who want to use glass.

Heck I could see even plast-dipping better bottles might be a valid thing to do if it didn't eat the plastic. They do flex and crack if not handled properly (Tennis ball under them if rotating) and many folks wish that the better bottle, just like the carboy, were opaque.

I'm going to quote what I wrote in the last thread on this topic, when the Nay Sayer's and armchair quaterbacks came out to troll the thread.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Well we managed to get through nearly 70 plus posts before the armchair quarterbacks started chiming in with negative.

That's gotta be some sort of a record.

The "point" of doing this, is to see if it will be beneficial to do it....Just like someone decided to use a turkey fryer, or a gott cooler, or an coil of copper referigerator tubing plunged into boiling wort with cold water running in it, or the stone at the bottom of an aquarium hooked up to a red oxygen bottle.

We don't think twice about any of the above non traditional/non brewing gear...but at some point someone thought out of the box and decided to try it.

It is how new ideas get incorporated into things....New ground gets broken.

There have been countless threads about broken carboys, so if this makes them safer then it's a good thing...there have been threads about how great opaque carboys would be and even using glass paint on them to make them more light tight...so if this helps then that is another niche that this could fill.

So there are enough reasons why this could potentially have merit. And I bet if the op HAD just posted a complete thread with it done...even you nay saysers and can't understand whyers would be sporting a chubby about how great it is....but no...because people actually want to collaborate, to brainstorm you feel the need to pee in our potty?

Why dontcha start a "why plastic dipping won't work on a carboy" thread of your own, instead of taking a dump in here? I don't walk into your home and pee in a corner. Why do you nay sayers feel the need to do it here?
If you all folks want to do is say why it won't work (which the other thread proved it did) or tell people to use buckets, why not go have that discussion elsewhere, and leave this thread for folks who think this idea might have merit, whether they do it or not?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #12
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1577 Times on 1192 Posts
Likes Given: 2832

Quote:
I believe this discussion, just like the discussion in the original thread I posted, where people tried all sorts of ideas, is for people who ALREADY OWN GLASS, and want to continue to use them, and be safe about them.

For example someone just posted within the week, that they scored 6 glass carboys. I can see, like I did years ago in that thread, how this would be appealing to folks who have them, or still find the superior to plastic.

Me personally, I use buckets and Better bottles, and am slowly going all Better Bottles as my buckets get replaced. But I can STILL see the merits of this idea for those who want to use glass.
you are right. However, if I was given 6 glass carboys today, they would go STRAIGHT on Craigslist and the proceeds would buy BUCKETS.

I would NOT use them, no matter how many I had.

How many "I smashed my carboys on purpose" threads are there? Not a ton, but a lot.

"Thanks but when should I put employees in? This is my first time trying to add a flavor like this to a beer so I'm kinda clueless...."

-EMPLOYEE FLAVORED BEER........

(my new hero....) pbohanna

Old 11-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #13
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1000 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

Quote:
Found them. I remembered that one of the solutions was "Plasti-dip"

Here's one of the threads. Trying to solve the carboy problem

And in there I actually had linked two other discussions I had recalled. But they never went anywhere. The one above did.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/carboy-protector-12749/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/clea...arboys-119405/

If I were doing this, I think I would first glue some window mesh around the glass to contain any shards if it did fail, like using fiberglass mesh when working with that stuff. Heck even clear plastic packing tape if it didn't react with the plasti-dip. THEN I would apply a ton of plasti-dip in multiple layers.

Hey, why not doing fiberglass over them?
PlastiDip is what I was going to say before I scrolled down to your answer. At work we're using a new product for water proofing a shower pan. It's a liquid that you paint on with a roller or brush that dries with a rubber-like texture (very similar to plastidip). I would try it if I used glass...

Old 11-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
you are right. However, if I was given 6 glass carboys today, they would go STRAIGHT on Craigslist and the proceeds would buy BUCKETS.

I would NOT use them, no matter how many I had.

How many "I smashed my carboys on purpose" threads are there? Not a ton, but a lot.
I agree, BUT THE PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD IS TO DISCUSS MAKING THEM SHATTERPROOF, not opining on the old glass vs plastic vs bucket debate.

The OP and some of us would like to actually DISCUSS this, even for me if it only an intellectual discussion about it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 11-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #15
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1577 Times on 1192 Posts
Likes Given: 2832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
I would try it if I used glass...
the rest of the post is interesting, but it comes down to this.

OK If I used glass, I would put the carboy in an Ale Pale or similar bucket and squish in a lot of rubber cement or some other slightly viscous material.

"Thanks but when should I put employees in? This is my first time trying to add a flavor like this to a beer so I'm kinda clueless...."

-EMPLOYEE FLAVORED BEER........

(my new hero....) pbohanna

Revvy Likes This 
Old 11-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #16
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 695 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Hmm ... How about bedliner?

Old 11-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #17
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3064 Times on 1927 Posts
Likes Given: 2602

Quote:
You're right. I got sucked into the old glass-plastic thing again. Gawd, sometimes I'm weak.

Carry on, all!

(but I did recommend auto film; I've been looking at "foiling" cars - not the window stuff but used as an alternative to paint. Very cool. It would work for a carboy I think).

Old 11-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #18
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
PlastiDip is what I was going to say before I scrolled down to your answer. At work we're using a new product for water proofing a shower pan. It's a liquid that you paint on with a roller or brush that dries with a rubber-like texture (very similar to plastidip). I would try it if I used glass...
Yeah, there's also some new products that have come out since then that might even work better. There's that "spray can tar" that the have commercials for, the one where they put a screen door on the bottom of a bass boat and then spray this black glop over everything and send the boat out on the water. That has the benefit of being black. And there's a ton of truck bed liner sprays out there now that might be usable as well.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #19
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
You're right. I got sucked into the old glass-plastic thing again. Gawd, sometimes I'm weak.

Carry on, all!

(but I did recommend auto film; I've been looking at "foiling" cars - not the window stuff but used as an alternative to paint. Very cool. It would work for a carboy I think).
I think that would probably work great actually. I think there are a lot of ways to go about it, some from various industries. The Idea I had for liquid rubber came from all the stuff I used to use it for when I made bamboo flutes, and drums and such.

We all have different backgrounds and come across different materials in our lives, I think it's fun to brainstorm and share ideas and materials like this.

TedsExcellentAdventure Likes This 
Old 11-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #20
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3064 Times on 1927 Posts
Likes Given: 2602

Quote:
Before I dipped a whole glass carboy in plasti-dip or wrapped it in auto film or duct tape, I'd consider a Better Bottle. It's one of those things that makes me wonder.
I think you misunderstood this, Revvy. What I was saying was that you buy a Better Bottle, cut it in half lengthwise, then tape it around the glass carboy.
People Like This 

Quick Reply