Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Making a glass carboy shatterproof?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 03:51 AM   #131
iambeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I'm tempted to make a new thread: "How to commit to glass... a guide and prep guide on how glass is awesome but it allows light and it will shatter itself all over you randomly. Know thyself and make the right decision." PS I'd rather buy a huge unwieldy glass carboy and take my chance than buying all new better bottle bungs. I've already paid $5 on 5 bungs which is totally ****ing out there. Give me free bungs or give me death.

If you are trying to make glass shatterproof for real then you are too sexy or awesome.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #132
mbbarnes
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I guess this guys invention is pretty shatter proof. I think this product would be great if it included straps or handles to assist in lifting the carboy. He had a crowd-source funding site on indiegogo, but not sure if he is still pursuing this project. Check out the video. I can't believe he held on to the bottle as he was slamming it on the concrete.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #133
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Quote:
the vessel gives way more spectacularly
That's what I was thinking about this subject. I don't know that it's a good idea to even try to make glass shatter-proof. You might get more then you bargained for. And I don't think what that guy in the video is doing is a good idea either. Don't try this at home, kids.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #134
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Wow. No golves and bare arms. He was just itching for a trip to the ER.

Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 12-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #135
Arrheinous
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I'd like to see what happened to the prototypes.

Fermenting: No Boil Saison
Aging: Winter Siege ESB (Oak/Brett C), Fire Badger (Ancho Chile Berliner Weisse on Brett C/B/L), Bear Force One (Wee Rye Stout)
On Tap: Lawn Gnomad Saison

Old 12-08-2012, 04:18 AM   #136
Dave37
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 382 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 34

That's all well and good but when and if you drop your carboy how likely is it that the carboy will land perfectly vertical and not tip or land on its side or diagonally. I'd like to see a video of what happened to that carboy in a scenario like I described above.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #137
a_hard
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Rather than shatterproof I picture a safety glass type deal. Some sort of coating, like plastic dip or bedliner which would contain the carnage of a shattered carboy. Car windshield are designed to break into tiny pieces so they don't gore you open. Follow? The only way to be shatter proof, emphasis on proof, would be fiber glass. My two cents

Old 12-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #138
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3042 Times on 1916 Posts
Likes Given: 2569

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_hard View Post
Rather than shatterproof I picture a safety glass type deal. Some sort of coating, like plastic dip or bedliner which would contain the carnage of a shattered carboy. Car windshield are designed to break into tiny pieces so they don't gore you open. Follow? The only way to be shatter proof, emphasis on proof, would be fiber glass. My two cents
Kevlar is the way to go. It is extremely difficult to puncture, which is why it can stop a bullet. This is exactly the type of protection you want around the carboy.

Kevlar can come in a woven fabric: they do make clothes out of it. I suppose a carboy cover could be made from it, sort of like a brew hauler. Believe me, the shards aren't coming through that stuff.

Check this out - Kevlar Clothing for Glass Handlers

And you're waiting there, not a care in the world

Old 12-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #139
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This idea is moot and really not worth investigating. Want a shatterproof carboy? use a sanke keg.

The reason the idea of wrapping up/coating a carboy is silly is because anything that will do what you want will also insulate the heck out of it and/or be hard to clean. Even with a temp controlled environment the internal temp of that carboy is going to get WAY to high...

HOWEVER, If you REALLY are hell bent on doing it this is what I would do: I would take sand paper to the outside of the carboy to scratch it up. Head to Walmart and buy a roll of blue camp pad (used under a sleeping bag) cut the appropriate circle for the bottom then a rectangle for the side, sand the surfaces that are going to be against the glass. Take an old paint brush and a can of DAP woodweld apply it to the bottom of the carboy and the sanded pad when the DAP is tacky carefully roll the pad on. Repeat the process for the side piece. Cover the edges with Gorrilla tape to hold the pad in place while the DAP dries. Apply as many layers of foam until you feel it is "safe" Once it is all dry, Plasti-dip it.

Note: you will get 1 attempt at the application. DAP is HIGHLY flammable and so is it's fumes, which are heavier than air. Use it outside! When you get it on your skin use cooking spray like Pam to get it off.

Quick Reply