Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Making a glass carboy shatterproof?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 02:32 AM   #111
iambeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbuster View Post
The OP asked about glass carboys.
Not only was the question 'axed' rhetorical but it was as well or better a tautologous display of the compleat mastery of teh perverse.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 02:36 AM   #112
pwkblue
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default what

remind me....just WHY the mods deleted several posts in this thread that were ON TOPIC, but taking things in a logical direction (although that horse is long dead)....and now we get a bunch of sophmoric Monty Python references...

get over it people it was 40 years ago...since then we have these things called PC's, and plastics have evolved...instead of trying to spend another $20 bucks to pad an inherently breakable object...buy a Better Bottle if you are worried about being safe. If you prefer glass...live with the risk.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:36 AM   #113
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3071 Times on 1931 Posts
Likes Given: 2608

I'm thinking something in regard to the direction of this thread, but I'll keep it to myself. For now. But if one more person says tautalogous, I'm going off.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:39 AM   #114
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I'm thinking something in regard to the direction of this thread, but I'll keep it to myself. For now. But if one more person says tautalogous, I'm going off.
emmm.. epoxy the ****? is that for reals/better? encase the glass in molten lava an allow 24 hour hardening.

put the carboy through ninja school....

are you serious

the whole thing is a joke, so better to enjoy the craziness... that is what the title of the post attracts.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:45 AM   #115
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3071 Times on 1931 Posts
Likes Given: 2608

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer View Post
emmm.. epoxy the ****? is that for reals/better? encase the glass in molten lava an allow 24 hour hardening.

put the carboy through ninja school....

are you serious

the whole thing is a joke, so better to enjoy the craziness... that is what the title of the post attracts.
I really liked my idea of encasing the glass carboy in a split Better Bottle. If I hadn't given away all my glass carboys, I'd do it and document it for posterity.

Craziness? Well well, that's a requisite quality if you are going to be part of this hysteria. Nothing surprises me from you fools. Fools like me.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:28 AM   #116
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 182

I'm the OP and this thread is tautalogous. I liked the idea of a carboy/R2D2 that was remote controlled. It would be safe and fun. Lots of good info keep it coming..

Old 11-30-2012, 03:54 AM   #117
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling View Post
I'm the OP and this thread is tautalogous. I liked the idea of a carboy/R2D2 that was remote controlled. It would be safe and fun. Lots of good info keep it coming..
Now you're using them there $10 words...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #118
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 890 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwkblue View Post
remind me....just WHY the mods deleted several posts in this thread that were ON TOPIC, but taking things in a logical direction (although that horse is long dead)....and now we get a bunch of sophmoric Monty Python references...
If you really are interested in a discussion of the relative merits of glass carboys v. better bottles v. buckets v. conicals v. corny kegs as fermentation vessels, there are lots of threads about that, or start a new thread on that topic.

I deleted the posts because they were off topic. If someone asks about how to bottle, telling them to keg is not on topic. If someone asks about where to find organic ingredients, arguing with them about the value of organic brewing is off topic. If someone asks how to use glass carboys safely, telling them not to use glass carboys repeatedly is off topic.

More importantly, its obnoxious. When members are obnoxious, their posts get reported and moderators are obliged to come take look and respond. General rule - don't be obnoxious.
People Like This 
Old 11-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #119
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 911 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I use a few glass carboys because you can't get a 6.5 gallon better bottle. Every once in a while a large vendor will tease us with stories of a 7 gallon PET bottle with a 4-5" wide mouth and then they find out the mold setup cost is in the five digits and....

I think I'm at minimum, putting a thick coat of plastidip on the bottom makes sense for avoiding chipping the glass on concrete floors unless you take the practical route of using milk crates and NEVER taking them out.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?
Revvy Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #120
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1578 Times on 1193 Posts
Likes Given: 2839

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I use a few glass carboys because you can't get a 6.5 gallon better bottle. Every once in a while a large vendor will tease us with stories of a 7 gallon PET bottle with a 4-5" wide mouth and then they find out the mold setup cost is in the five digits and....

I think I'm at minimum, putting a thick coat of plastidip on the bottom makes sense for avoiding chipping the glass on concrete floors unless you take the practical route of using milk crates and NEVER taking them out.
Ale Pail 6.5 gallons sir.

One method of Egg breakability avoidance, is to suspend the egg in a box in a bag of pantyhose or other flexible material.

It would be a huge box, but perhaps some non static material that was strong enough would hold a full carboy but keep it from contacting the sides of the box it is in.

"Thanks but when should I put employees in? This is my first time trying to add a flavor like this to a beer so I'm kinda clueless...."

-EMPLOYEE FLAVORED BEER........

(my new hero....) pbohanna

Quick Reply