Making a glass carboy shatterproof?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikescooling

Reaction score
Another brewer and I were talking about taping the carboy glass or wrapping it in cling wrap, so if dropped it would be more like shatterproof glass? And not blow big shards of glass all over. Anyone have some ideas?

There's actually a thread about this from several years ago. A guy tried several different things.

If I can manage to come up with a key word to do a search I will. It was a fascinating thread.

Another brewer and I were talking about taping the carboy glass or wrapping it in cling wrap, so if dropped it would be more like shatterproof glass? And not blow big shards of glass all over. Anyone have some ideas?

Use a plastic milk crate for a holder/carrier. Makes life easier and less dangerous for you and your carboy.

There is only one way....and it involves a hammer.

The longer I brew, the more I wonder why anyone would ferment in a breakable light whore.;)

I actually had my bucket sitting wher the sun hit it for a few minutes. I moved it.

I am wierd though. I brew, seal it up with airlock and don't peek until I syphon. No samples, no readings, no peeking.

Search for a thread about plastidip. You paint it on the carboy and dries like a plastic coating. Won't be waterproof, but will protect your limbs from gravity accidents.

Found them. I remembered that one of the solutions was "Plasti-dip"

Here's one of the threads. Trying to solve the carboy problem

And in there I actually had linked two other discussions I had recalled. But they never went anywhere. The one above did.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/carboy-protector-12749/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/clear-plasti-dip-glass-carboys-119405/

PICT1131.jpg

317644751.jpg

If I were doing this, I think I would first glue some window mesh around the glass to contain any shards if it did fail, like using fiberglass mesh when working with that stuff. Heck even clear plastic packing tape if it didn't react with the plasti-dip. THEN I would apply a ton of plasti-dip in multiple layers.

Hey, why not doing fiberglass over them?

After the extreme fascination of studying my first few beers as they fermented and buying as many glass carboys as my wallet and fermenting closet could handle... i became a little more practical and switched to plastic buckets.

i no longer care to hurry up and watch every day as my carboy creates krausen. i dont enjoy lugging them around, i dont like cleaning them out, especially if i have dry hopped or added some adjunct in the secondary stages, and i was tired of opening the closet to find that my fancy polyurethane bung had rocketed off into one of the coat pockets leaving the opening of my carboy exposed.

i dont keep anything in buckets for longer than a few weeks, i put it in the closet and forget about it until i'm ready to keg it... i always catch it at what would be an acceptable FG because im not in a crazy rush anymore..

back to your question though, the thread revvy linked will give you an option or two as far as making them a tad bit safer, but do yourself a favor and just switch to buckets, it makes you life a hell of a lot easier and adds to some peace of mind...

Before I dipped a whole glass carboy in plasti-dip or wrapped it in auto film or duct tape, I'd consider a Better Bottle. It's one of those things that makes me wonder.

I believe this discussion, just like the discussion in the original thread I posted, where people tried all sorts of ideas, is for people who ALREADY OWN GLASS, and want to continue to use them, and be safe about them.

For example someone just posted within the week, that they scored 6 glass carboys. I can see, like I did years ago in that thread, how this would be appealing to folks who have them, or still find the superior to plastic.

Me personally, I use buckets and Better bottles, and am slowly going all Better Bottles as my buckets get replaced. But I can STILL see the merits of this idea for those who want to use glass.

Heck I could see even plast-dipping better bottles might be a valid thing to do if it didn't eat the plastic. They do flex and crack if not handled properly (Tennis ball under them if rotating) and many folks wish that the better bottle, just like the carboy, were opaque.

I'm going to quote what I wrote in the last thread on this topic, when the Nay Sayer's and armchair quaterbacks came out to troll the thread.....

Well we managed to get through nearly 70 plus posts before the armchair quarterbacks started chiming in with negative.

That's gotta be some sort of a record.

The "point" of doing this, is to see if it will be beneficial to do it....Just like someone decided to use a turkey fryer, or a gott cooler, or an coil of copper referigerator tubing plunged into boiling wort with cold water running in it, or the stone at the bottom of an aquarium hooked up to a red oxygen bottle.

We don't think twice about any of the above non traditional/non brewing gear...but at some point someone thought out of the box and decided to try it.

It is how new ideas get incorporated into things....New ground gets broken.

There have been countless threads about broken carboys, so if this makes them safer then it's a good thing...there have been threads about how great opaque carboys would be and even using glass paint on them to make them more light tight...so if this helps then that is another niche that this could fill.

So there are enough reasons why this could potentially have merit. And I bet if the op HAD just posted a complete thread with it done...even you nay saysers and can't understand whyers would be sporting a chubby about how great it is....but no...because people actually want to collaborate, to brainstorm you feel the need to pee in our potty?

Why dontcha start a "why plastic dipping won't work on a carboy" thread of your own, instead of taking a dump in here? I don't walk into your home and pee in a corner. Why do you nay sayers feel the need to do it here?

If you all folks want to do is say why it won't work (which the other thread proved it did) or tell people to use buckets, why not go have that discussion elsewhere, and leave this thread for folks who think this idea might have merit, whether they do it or not?

I believe this discussion, just like the discussion in the original thread I posted, where people tried all sorts of ideas, is for people who ALREADY OWN GLASS, and want to continue to use them, and be safe about them.

For example someone just posted within the week, that they scored 6 glass carboys. I can see, like I did years ago in that thread, how this would be appealing to folks who have them, or still find the superior to plastic.

Me personally, I use buckets and Better bottles, and am slowly going all Better Bottles as my buckets get replaced. But I can STILL see the merits of this idea for those who want to use glass.

you are right. However, if I was given 6 glass carboys today, they would go STRAIGHT on Craigslist and the proceeds would buy BUCKETS.

I would NOT use them, no matter how many I had.

How many "I smashed my carboys on purpose" threads are there? Not a ton, but a lot.

And in there I actually had linked two other discussions I had recalled. But they never went anywhere. The one above did.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/carboy-protector-12749/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/clear-plasti-dip-glass-carboys-119405/

PICT1131.jpg

317644751.jpg

If I were doing this, I think I would first glue some window mesh around the glass to contain any shards if it did fail, like using fiberglass mesh when working with that stuff. Heck even clear plastic packing tape if it didn't react with the plasti-dip. THEN I would apply a ton of plasti-dip in multiple layers.

Hey, why not doing fiberglass over them?

PlastiDip is what I was going to say before I scrolled down to your answer. At work we're using a new product for water proofing a shower pan. It's a liquid that you paint on with a roller or brush that dries with a rubber-like texture (very similar to plastidip). I would try it if I used glass...

you are right. However, if I was given 6 glass carboys today, they would go STRAIGHT on Craigslist and the proceeds would buy BUCKETS.

How many "I smashed my carboys on purpose" threads are there? Not a ton, but a lot.

I agree, BUT THE PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD IS TO DISCUSS MAKING THEM SHATTERPROOF, not opining on the old glass vs plastic vs bucket debate.

The OP and some of us would like to actually DISCUSS this, even for me if it only an intellectual discussion about it.

I would try it if I used glass...

the rest of the post is interesting, but it comes down to this.

OK If I used glass, I would put the carboy in an Ale Pale or similar bucket and squish in a lot of rubber cement or some other slightly viscous material.

You're right. I got sucked into the old glass-plastic thing again. Gawd, sometimes I'm weak.

Carry on, all!

(but I did recommend auto film; I've been looking at "foiling" cars - not the window stuff but used as an alternative to paint. Very cool. It would work for a carboy I think).

PlastiDip is what I was going to say before I scrolled down to your answer. At work we're using a new product for water proofing a shower pan. It's a liquid that you paint on with a roller or brush that dries with a rubber-like texture (very similar to plastidip). I would try it if I used glass...

Yeah, there's also some new products that have come out since then that might even work better. There's that "spray can tar" that the have commercials for, the one where they put a screen door on the bottom of a bass boat and then spray this black glop over everything and send the boat out on the water. That has the benefit of being black. And there's a ton of truck bed liner sprays out there now that might be usable as well.

You're right. I got sucked into the old glass-plastic thing again. Gawd, sometimes I'm weak.

Carry on, all!

(but I did recommend auto film; I've been looking at "foiling" cars - not the window stuff but used as an alternative to paint. Very cool. It would work for a carboy I think).

I think that would probably work great actually. I think there are a lot of ways to go about it, some from various industries. The Idea I had for liquid rubber came from all the stuff I used to use it for when I made bamboo flutes, and drums and such.

We all have different backgrounds and come across different materials in our lives, I think it's fun to brainstorm and share ideas and materials like this.

Before I dipped a whole glass carboy in plasti-dip or wrapped it in auto film or duct tape, I'd consider a Better Bottle. It's one of those things that makes me wonder.

I think you misunderstood this, Revvy. What I was saying was that you buy a Better Bottle, cut it in half lengthwise, then tape it around the glass carboy. ;)

I use glass carboys almost exclusively and I love them, however I haven't ended up in the ER because of one either. I recognize that they are GLASS and thus are fragile, not to mention they are large panes of curved glass that get heavy and slippery. I got it and I attempt to be very careful when moving them around but recognize that accidents can happen. I switched from buckets to glass about 17 years ago and if I had to do it again today I would probably go with better bottles; assuming my research proved that they are inert and safe for long storage of acidic liquids. Actually, I'm considering adding to my fermenting arsenal and am looking at better bottles as an option for the "it's safer" issue already mentioned (BTW, do they make PET buckets? I would go that route if they did).

Regardless, about ideas to make glass carboys shatterproof. I have one issue with most of the ideas given, with the exception of plastidip, and that is that when I clean my carboy I like to get them clean inside and out. Tape will deteriorate and flake overtime which I can only imagine would eventually end up inside the carboy. I like the idea of plastidip but does it actually "grab" on to glass or is it a loose coating held in place by it's dried shape? One material I thought of was a foil tape (I know, it's still tape) that has about a 1mm backing of gummy rubber. I think it's commonly used for ducting work and to make airtight seals. I've used it for ducting where duct tape eventually came loose, and have used it on the roof of my house for sealing a small leak between two pieces of flashing where it sits exposed to UV all day everyday, and it still clings fast. It's moderate in price. To cover an entire carboy would certainly cost maybe $10 (hopefully no more), but it's also light impervious so would accomplish a couple tasks. I can't see it breaking down very quickly but it very well could. Anyway, it's food-for-thought.

Back to PET bottles, is there such a thing as a 7+ gallon PET bucket?

Edit:
So I just came across this site describing PET/PETE and the potential of leeching antimony trioxide?? Is this true?
http://beerlegends.com/fermenting-buckets-and-plastic-carboys

Edit:
So I just came across this site describing PET/PETE and the potential of leeching antimony trioxide?? Is this true?
http://beerlegends.com/fermenting-buckets-and-plastic-carboys

I might be wrong, can't find what I read before. But IIRC, PET/PETE only leeches chemicals if they get really hot (like leaving water bottles in your car in the summer) or after very long storage. Since most beer is only in the bucket for 3-4 weeks it is not a long enough time to leech anything significant.

I believe this is the third post in this thread's first two pages where you've said that. Its been heard. Many people prefer carboys for many reasons. Let them discuss it, please.

Moderator note: There are plenty of other threads encouraging brewers not to use glass carboys. Please feel free to add to those threads or start a new one on that topic. Lets keep this thread on the OP's topic - using glass carboys safely.

Pappers_

Moderator note: There are plenty of other threads encouraging brewers not to use glass carboys. Please feel free to add to those threads or start a new one on that topic. Lets keep this thread on the OP's topic - using glass carboys safely.

Pappers_

I don't feel like wading through 15 pages of discussion... did anyone take the plunge and break a glass carboy coated in plastidip (either intentionally or accidentally)?

I don't feel like wading through 15 pages of discussion... did anyone take the plunge and break a glass carboy coated in plastidip (either intentionally or accidentally)?

Yes......

And the results, I'm not going to answer, you can skim it yourself. I skimmed it earlier. It took all of 5 minutes. A scroll button is a great thing for skimming forums. ;)

Yes......

And the results, I'm not going to answer, you can skim it yourself. I skimmed it earlier. It took all of 5 minutes. A scroll button is a great thing for skimming forums. ;)

Thanks for being helpful....

Anyways, the only test that I was able to find via pictures wasn't enough to convince me that plastidip would do anything more than contain the largest glass debris. Dropping a carboy into a cardboard box onto slate in the grass is far from a worst case scenario. I'd venture a guess and say a full, plastidipped glass carboy dropped from waist height onto a concrete floor would still explode into glass shards.

Thanks for being helpful....

Anyways, the only test that I was able to find via pictures wasn't enough to convince me that plastidip would do anything more than contain the largest glass debris. Dropping a carboy into a cardboard box onto slate in the grass is far from a worst case scenario. I'd venture a guess and say a full, plastidipped glass carboy dropped from waist height onto a concrete floor would still explode into glass shards.

IMO, your best bet would probably be with the spray-on bed-liner material. It's cheap (under $10 for the can I linked to earlier) and should do a good job. The stuff is typically designed to withstand impacts of decent intensity.

You could do a test with a glass bottle (so you don't risk your carboy) and see how it worked. If it seems good, ramp up to the carboy and go at it. I do think that Revvy's earlier suggestion about adding mesh screen is a good one. Especially if you use the metal screening (less risk of it being cut).

I don't use carboys (glass or plastic) to ferment in anymore. Nor do I use buckets. So, I don't have anything to test with here. :rockin: What I use to ferment in has more potential to damage what it gets dropped onto than itself. :ban:

I use a cobination of web holders I made myself or the milk crate transport method. They are an inherent danger, but for long term storage, nothin beats glass. Just a note to ponder.... My LHBS had "trade in days" last year that allowed you to swap your good clean non-chipped glass carboys for better bottles. You might ask your LHBS if that is something they would consider...IF using glass has got you worried.

I use a cobination of web holders I made myself or the milk crate transport method. They are an inherent danger, but for long term storage, nothin beats glass. Just a note to ponder.... My LHBS had "trade in days" last year that allowed you to swap your good clean non-chipped glass carboys for better bottles. You might ask your LHBS if that is something they would consider...IF using glass has got you worried.

Actually, that myth has been busted already. HDPE is just fine for long term aging (members here have done it for over a year without negative impact).

Personally, stainless beats the snot out of glass (and plastic). NO light can penetrate stainless, where some can penetrate the plastic buckets used. :D

After the extreme fascination of studying my first few beers as they fermented and buying as many glass carboys as my wallet and fermenting closet could handle... i became a little more practical and switched to plastic buckets.

I have a bunch of glass carboys, but I really like buckets. They just work so well. Easy to use, easy to clean. And since I can't see what's going on, I don't dick with them as much.

I might be wrong, can't find what I read before. But IIRC, PET/PETE only leeches chemicals if they get really hot (like leaving water bottles in your car in the summer) or after very long storage. Since most beer is only in the bucket for 3-4 weeks it is not a long enough time to leech anything significant.

If I remember correctly, there have also been lots of threads about PET/PETE and glass carboys containing lethal amounts of dihydrogen monoxide. It's a wonder any of these things are considered safe for anything.

Just switch to better bottles. Shipping them to your house is cheaper, they themselves are cheaper, easier to clean and tote around..just all around better.

I've had two carboys break in 6 months and I'm done.

Just switch to better bottles. Shipping them to your house is cheaper, they themselves are cheaper, easier to clean and tote around..just all around better.

I've had two carboys break in 6 months and I'm done.

I have a bunch of glass carboys, but I really like buckets. They just work so well. Easy to use, easy to clean. And since I can't see what's going on, I don't dick with them as much.

Have you guys not read the comments in here about NOT making this a plastic vs glass vs bucket thread? The PREMISE OF THIS THREAD is to share ideas about how one WOULD MAKE A GLASS CARBOY SHATTER PROOF. The MODS have even come in and said to keep conversation to the topic at hand.

From the mods

Pappers_

We ALL know about plastic, hell, I prefer it, BUT THE PURPOSE OF THE THREAD IS TO COME UP WITH IDEAS TO MAKE GLASS CARBOYS SHATTERPROOF for those who want to have this discussion.

How about foam wrapped around and under carboy. Seems to me if it was thick enough a 4 foot drop wouldn't mean buying a new carboy. Also would keep it insulated and light proof. Not permanent either.

Have you guys not read the comments in here about NOT making this a plastic vs glass vs bucket thread? The PREMISE OF THIS THREAD is to share ideas about how one WOULD MAKE A GLASS CARBOY SHATTER PROOF. The MODS have even come in and said to keep conversation to the topic at hand.

We ALL know about plastic, hell, I prefer it, BUT THE PURPOSE OF THE THREAD IS TO COME UP WITH IDEAS TO MAKE GLASS CARBOYS SHATTERPROOF for those who want to have this discussion.

But Revvy, replacing glass carboys with Better Bottles DOES make the glass carboy shatterproof. I mean, duh!

Back