Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Making a glass carboy shatterproof?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
mikescooling
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 205

Default Making a glass carboy shatterproof?

Another brewer and I were talking about taping the carboy glass or wrapping it in cling wrap, so if dropped it would be more like shatterproof glass? And not blow big shards of glass all over. Anyone have some ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

There's actually a thread about this from several years ago. A guy tried several different things.

If I can manage to come up with a key word to do a search I will. It was a fascinating thread.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling View Post
Another brewer and I were talking about taping the carboy glass or wrapping it in cling wrap, so if dropped it would be more like shatterproof glass? And not blow big shards of glass all over. Anyone have some ideas?
Use a plastic milk crate for a holder/carrier. Makes life easier and less dangerous for you and your carboy.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1642 Times on 1235 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

There is only one way....and it involves a hammer.

The longer I brew, the more I wonder why anyone would ferment in a breakable light whore.

I actually had my bucket sitting wher the sun hit it for a few minutes. I moved it.

I am wierd though. I brew, seal it up with airlock and don't peek until I syphon. No samples, no readings, no peeking.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
sfrisby
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 165 Posts

Search for a thread about plastidip. You paint it on the carboy and dries like a plastic coating. Won't be waterproof, but will protect your limbs from gravity accidents.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Found them. I remembered that one of the solutions was "Plasti-dip"

Here's one of the threads. Trying to solve the carboy problem

And in there I actually had linked two other discussions I had recalled. But they never went anywhere. The one above did.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/carboy-protector-12749/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/clea...arboys-119405/

If I were doing this, I think I would first glue some window mesh around the glass to contain any shards if it did fail, like using fiberglass mesh when working with that stuff. Heck even clear plastic packing tape if it didn't react with the plasti-dip. THEN I would apply a ton of plasti-dip in multiple layers.

Hey, why not doing fiberglass over them?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
There is only one way....and it involves a hammer.

The longer I brew, the more I wonder why anyone would ferment in a breakable light whore.
Lol, how do you really feel about glass carboys?

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 11-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3472 Times on 2149 Posts
Likes Given: 2982

Before I dipped a whole glass carboy in plasti-dip or wrapped it in auto film or duct tape, I'd consider a Better Bottle. It's one of those things that makes me wonder.

zeg Likes This 
Old 11-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
ArcticBear
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 5

After the extreme fascination of studying my first few beers as they fermented and buying as many glass carboys as my wallet and fermenting closet could handle... i became a little more practical and switched to plastic buckets.

i no longer care to hurry up and watch every day as my carboy creates krausen. i dont enjoy lugging them around, i dont like cleaning them out, especially if i have dry hopped or added some adjunct in the secondary stages, and i was tired of opening the closet to find that my fancy polyurethane bung had rocketed off into one of the coat pockets leaving the opening of my carboy exposed.

i dont keep anything in buckets for longer than a few weeks, i put it in the closet and forget about it until i'm ready to keg it... i always catch it at what would be an acceptable FG because im not in a crazy rush anymore..

back to your question though, the thread revvy linked will give you an option or two as far as making them a tad bit safer, but do yourself a favor and just switch to buckets, it makes you life a hell of a lot easier and adds to some peace of mind...

Old 11-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1642 Times on 1235 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Easy fellas.

Pondering making a 6 gallon glass vessel break-proof() is the first step in denial. It wil soon lead to acceptance, and hopefully, to buckets.

Quick Reply