Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Making the best of a bad tripel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #21
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy

OK let me dump a tablespoon of bleach into your next batch during primary and you tell me how to fix it.
I didn't think of open sabotage... sorry. I just meant that most any beer that has undergone the more natural rigors of less fortunate brewing is salvagable.
Bandaids? Throw it on brandied oak chips and win a competition.

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #22
ReverseApacheMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

You're going to have to blend it in the glass with something dry, use it for cooking/baking/grilling/marinade/etc., or dump it. There's not really a good solution once it's bottled. Popping open all the bottles and dumping it into another fermenter risks getting that cardboard-oxidation flavor. I'm not saying you couldn't do it but the chance of improving it may not be worth the risk of making it worse. It might be ok if you could siphon out of each bottle. Sounds like a ton of work.

My thought on blending would be to make a 2 or 3 gallon batch of 80% pilsner malt and 20% table sugar with just enough hops to clear 10IBUs and ferment it with champagne yeast. Get it crazy dry. Then bottle it and blend at a ratio of 1/3-1/2 glass dry stuff and the rest of the glass the tripel. Should cut it down.

In the alternative, you could mix it with Coors or Miller (in small amounts) to cut down on the syrupy mouthfeel and sweetness. I know some people will hate on the idea, but it could be done. If you wanted to go the other direction, you could get experimental with blending with mead or champagne.

One other thing to say is that not all tripels are bone dry. Piraat and similar tripels are much more malty and thicker than something like the Chimay tripel. I don't know if you dislike it just because you dislike it or because you thought it was supposed to be dryer because that's what you thought a tripel should be.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #23
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearRich

Oh im sure it would win a competition... if the category was beers that taste like your licking Satans anus.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #24
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearRich View Post
I didn't think of open sabotage... sorry. I just meant that most any beer that has undergone the more natural rigors of less fortunate brewing is salvagable.
Oakey bandaids yeah I think I will pass and have a beer I actually enjoy drinking. Same goes for contaminated beers. Just dump it for crying out loud. I would rather just brew something else that I will enjoy drinking.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #25
rinhaak
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Bandaid brown definitely makes my recent failure (which is closer to cardamom extract than beer) look like a winner!

Old 06-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #26
norsk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 43

A while back I brewed a Triple that was stuck at 1.020 which resisted all my attempts to mitigate the fermentation. I'm not so anal about most of my beers but I get a little perfectionist with the Triples...I was about to dump it when the wife convinced me to bottle it and give it time...and this from a women with zero patience who would drink it out of the bucket if I let her. Anyway...I bottled it and stuck it out of sight for 5 months and it became one of my all time favorite Triples. Go figure.

veteransforpeace.org

VALHALLA BREWERY

Old 06-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #27
DTM84
Recipes 

With my trippel I'm still waiting on carbonation, but putting it in the bottles sense to have really changed the taste. Hoping that a good couple of months will make this an excellent beer. No exploding bottles just yet and slight carbination. May end up throwing in those carbination pills or repitching a yeast with a higher alcohol tolerance.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #28
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM84
With my trippel I'm still waiting on carbonation, but putting it in the bottles sense to have really changed the taste. Hoping that a good couple of months will make this an excellent beer. No exploding bottles just yet and slight carbination. May end up throwing in those carbination pills or repitching a yeast with a higher alcohol tolerance.
Are you suggesting opening bottles and pitching yeast into them?

Old 06-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #29
apreswho
Recipes 

ReverseApache, Trust me, i've had many many tripels of all sorts and this one just isnt doing it. Its less about preference and more about execution.

For whoever had asked, i think what i did wrong was move it to a secondary a bit preemptively. i took it off the original yeast that was best suited to do the fermenting, and then all was weird after that. even pitched a new yeast and everything and after 3 months of waiting, simply could not get the beer to hit the FG i was looking for. I cant remember what it was supposed to be, but the OG was something like 1.09 Figured i'd bottle and hope for the best.

I've certainly got some time so i'll let it sit for quite some time and hopefully mellow it out. though i do like the idea of brewing something light with a mead or champagne yeast and combining the two

Old 06-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #30
DTM84
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber

Are you suggesting opening bottles and pitching yeast into them?
Na. They have carbonating pills that you toss into individual beers and cap.

Quick Reply