Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Making the best of a bad tripel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 02:19 AM   #11
norsk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Since it is already in the bottle I'd stick them somewhere warm for a few months and hope for the best. Next time I'd try some other things prior to bottling...Good luck

BTW, what was the OG and FG...and did you pitch yeast at bottling?

veteransforpeace.org

VALHALLA BREWERY

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 02:34 AM   #12
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Im going to take a guess and say if he was considering mixing it with something that its in a keg

Old 06-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #13
norsk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 43

"Im going to take a guess and say if he was considering mixing it with something that its in a keg" bottlebomber

"...bottled at the end of may." OP

I could be wrong.....wouldn't be the first time.....

veteransforpeace.org

VALHALLA BREWERY

Old 06-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Ooh yeah missed that. Fail. Cracking open a bunch of bottle and trying to dump them into something else doesn't sound like such a good solution then... +1 to dumping it. I just dumped my first batch ever over the weekend. It hurt as I watched it go down the drain, but I got over it immediately and the bottles were filled with something else by the evening

Old 06-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #15
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Good god what is wrong with you dumpers! Beer is never so bad to dump. Ever! I would try to attenuate this further. Un carb it, dump it all into a bucket and seal it with an airlock. Add some white camdi and either a nice starter, or some of a yeast cake.

Its alot of.work, but this is a serious beer we're talking about, and it takes work to get it right.

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Old 06-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #16
bottlebomber
Recipes 

There's too much great beer out there to waste time with a crappy one... sounds like women doesn't it?

Old 06-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #17
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber
There's too much great beer out there to waste time with a crappy one... sounds like women doesn't it?
Just like women, even the best require a lot of work. The worst are always just fine in desperate times, they still do the trick! Lol.
Seriously, I will never waste a batch. I don't care what it tastes like, it can be made to be great. Just rename the style! It might not be.what you planned for, but it.can be fixed into a tasty brew. After an arduous brewday and the grainBILL, I don't see the sense in wasting the already accounted for time and money.

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Old 06-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #18
Big_Belgian
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you don't want to try to re-ferment or mix it with something (I wouldn't want to do that either), why not just box it up, stick it away in a dark cool corner of your basement, and try one in about six months? I bottled a strong Belgian ale in January that was absolutely undrinkable in the first few months after bottling. It was hot, like fingernail polish, and sickly sweet. It still wasn't very good as of about a month ago, but it is definitely getting better. I am pretty confident that it is going to be a great beer to drink this winter.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #19
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearRich View Post
Just like women, even the best require a lot of work. The worst are always just fine in desperate times, they still do the trick! Lol.
Seriously, I will never waste a batch. I don't care what it tastes like, it can be made to be great.
OK let me dump a tablespoon of bleach into your next batch during primary and you tell me how to fix it.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #20
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearRich

Seriously, I will never waste a batch. I don't care what it tastes like, it can be made to be great. Just rename the style!
Im sure my BandAid Brown would have been a huge hit at the homebrew club meeting...

Quick Reply