New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > maintaining temperature question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
Plinythelderphan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default maintaining temperature question

Good afternoon,

I am looking to brew the Oktoberfest from the most recent Zymurgy using California Lager Yeast . This yeast will maintain lagering characteristics up to 65 degrees. It is not recommended for cold fermentation. My basement is a pretty steady 67-8 degrees...does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the fermenter at 60-65 in a 67-8 degree environment (short of turning the AC on!).

I'd really like to brew that all grain recipe and this is the only thing holding me back!

Thanks as always for your help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Search around these forums for a swamp cooler.

Basically, put your fermentor in a Rubbermaid tub, fill the tub with water and put a t shirt over your fermenter to wick water up onto the bucket, and turn a fan in it.

That may be enough, and if you want cooler than float some frozen bottles of water in the tub and replace them every 12 hours.

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Skagdog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Conduction with the concrete garage floor has been working for me. I've built a box without a bottom and that serves to keep the cool in and the light out....it's not officially lagering but it's good enough for G'ment work.

I should say I use glass ferms so I think that helps the process.

Quick Reply