New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Magnum as an "all around" bittering hop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
jasonsbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Magnum as an "all around" bittering hop

I'm thinking about planting hops this spring. Thinking long term about what I use to determine what to plant. I probably have room for 3-4 hills. I am thinking about planting a hill of Magnum with the intent of become a one size fits all solution for bittering.

I make a wide variety of styles - primarily stouts, oktoberfests, witbier, amber ales.

Logic is that a bittering hop adds little to no aroma or other flavors - why not standardize on one bittering hop for all beers.

There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true.

Winston Churchill

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
pdxal
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Magnum is a good choice for a neutral bittering hop suitable to use in basically everything. It'll supply bittering and stay out of the way of your flavor and aroma hops. You'll get a tiny bit of flavor from it, but it is a faint noble/floral flavor when used @60+minutes.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 5729 Times on 5097 Posts
Likes Given: 568

The problem with homegrown hops is that you can't reliably know the AA% without testing.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
kirkosaurus

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sierra Nevada uses Magnum for bittering, flavor and aroma hops in their Torpedo IPA. I'd say it's a good all around hop for all of those.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:49 AM   #5
tcory77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkosaurus
Sierra Nevada uses Magnum for bittering, flavor and aroma hops in their Torpedo IPA. I'd say it's a good all around hop for all of those.
I just used an ounce of magnum as a dry hop with some citra. It is a great all around hop. I have a torpedo type IPA recipe and it has magnum all through it.

Solid hop, but I agree that you don't know the AA% with home grown hops. Not to say that you can't or shouldn't do it, but something to think about. I grow cascades myself, for late additions.

Quick Reply