Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Maerzen yeast starter smells sour

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
silvervan83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Maerzen yeast starter smells sour

Its been 4 days and now its starting to smell sour.

"What do I do?" - Marty Chang

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Starters often go sour unless you add a hop pellet or two to the wort. That's one of the roles that hops play, as a preservative.

You can decant off the majority of the beer on top and still pitch the yeast, the yeast is fine..it's just the beer on top...or if you plan on pitching in the next couple days, I would make a fresh wort and pour your yeast into that....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-09-2009, 03:31 AM   #3
Aspera
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Really? I've heard both Charlie Papazian and JZ weigh in on opposite sides of the "hop your starter issue". Neither sited primary literature and my impression was that Charlie (hop it) is right for kitchen sanitation, JZ (wins again) is right for laboratory technique, and neither is really duplicating what large lager brewers do commercially. Just my flawed perception?

Old 05-09-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspera View Post
Really? I've heard both Charlie Papazian and JZ weigh in on opposite sides of the "hop your starter issue". Neither sited primary literature and my impression was that Charlie (hop it) is right for kitchen sanitation, JZ (wins again) is right for laboratory technique, and neither is really duplicating what large lager brewers do commercially. Just my flawed perception?
Well I don't really care what JX or charlies says...a lot of times people like to spout with no practicall experience in the matter, even the big guns....And I have had starters go sour after a few days....Especially in the summer.

And we KNOW that hops are a preservative to keep beer from souring (ever heard of an IPA?)....so it doesn't need to be a big argument or a logic leap to go reach the conclusion that adding a hop pellet will give you a longer window before it goes sour....

You don't really need to worry if you are going to brew in 24 hours or so....but like the op, if you start a few days earlier, you might want to consider a little insurance. Like if you are bottle harvesting yeast and trying do grow a huge volume over a few days.

These Basic Brewing Videos confirm it from PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE...

Quote:
May 15, 2008 - Base Malt Experiment
We get unexpected results when we compare unhopped beers made with three different base malts.
Basic Brewingâ„¢ : Home Brewing Beer Podcast and DVD - May 15, 2008 - Base Malt Experiment

May 27, 2008 - Base Malt Experiment II
Our Base Malt Experiment continues as we compare beer with and wtihout hops.
Basic Brewingâ„¢ : Home Brewing Beer Podcast and DVD - May 28, 2008 - Base Malt Experiment II

August 8, 2008 - Base Malt Experiment III
It's the final installment of the Base Malt Experiment as we use liquid yeast to ferment beers made with and without hops.
Basic Brewingâ„¢ : Home Brewing Beer Podcast and DVD - August 8, 2008 - Base Malt Experiment III

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply