Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Mad Scienctific Expermients

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
Raffie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mad Scienctific Expermients

Well for a while now I have known about the effects of music on living things like plants and animlas and people too.
So wondering if anyone has tried putting on a raido with music like clasical music or easy listening near the primary fermentor and see it there is any reaction with the yeast or flavor. Proably not but still interesting.

Other one I was thinking was wrapping a thin copper wire around fermentor till you had like a 3-6" wide strip and running a very light current throught it while it ferments.

Any thought on these 2 ideas and would we see a result or nothing at all?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
BioBeing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Nothing at all.

Can you propose some biological method whereby some effect might be transmitted to the yeast?

Old 03-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In addition to those ideas I would put my fermenter under a pyrimad shaped covering, that should really do something.

But seriously, I am always up for trying new ways of doing things but I would never spend my time on those experiments. I would expect nothing. But hey, if you want to try it go for it.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
TurboBrew
Recipes 

I bet if you rock some ACDC really loud next to a pale ale, it'll turn into a barleywine.

My roomate loves jazz and I did notice a distinct jazz flavor in my last batch.

I'm married to yeast.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
So wondering if anyone has tried putting on a raido with music like clasical music or easy listening near the primary fermentor and see it there is any reaction with the yeast or flavor.
Seems like they'd fall asleep. Maybe try Dream Theater.

EDIT: or at least give 'em some Coltrane.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 03-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #6
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 27 Posts

Talking to the fermenting beer helps too.

Also, my carboys wear tinfoil hats, which serves as an airlock as well as protection from alien mind control rays.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

On a serious note though; I think you would have a hard time determining if the music or current had anything to do with a change unless you had some really, really consistent beers to measure against and I think that would be difficult. If you produced a bad beer how would you know if your experiment had caused it? If it came out better how would you know if it came out better because of something you did, something different in the ingredients? There are so many variables to consider it would take a lot of controlled research to really know.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #8
Raffie
Recipes 

They had proved classical music does make plants healthier and grow better, I am wondering it it would make happy yeast and in return ferment the beer out better and at a higher %.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:08 PM   #9
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think it would be neat to wrap the carboy in magnetic wire and pass some DC through it. Decent magnetic field passing through the carboy and "aligning" the yeast. Probably wouldn't do anything but would be fun!!

I have seriously considered exposing a clear bottle or two of a light beer to white LED's. I have a ton and would like to see how much time is needed to skunk. I know someone here uses sunlight for skunking (BierMuncher?? perhaps).

That way I could control the skunkage to a desirable level.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 03-25-2009, 09:11 PM   #10
TheTower
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mythbusters showed that hardcore heavy metal had more of an impact on plant growth than classical. It would be an interesting experiment, you would have to find a way to get the music/current through the fermenter into the beer as well as find a way to make incredibly consistent beer.

TreeTop Brewing

Primary:
Bottled: ESB, Belgian Pale, Belgian Dubbel, Pumpkin Ale, Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Chile Pepper Porter

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS