Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > M.O. & Fuggles SMASH - Aging?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Tiroux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default M.O. & Fuggles SMASH - Aging?

Hi Guys!

A big event is coming in October 2014 (My Dad 60th) and another one somewhere in 2014-2015 (My childhood friend's Wedding). For both I want (and been asked) to brew a big big. I wanted something big and strong, but not exagerate of excentric (I mean... not a Quintuple Chocolate Vanilla Stout, ya know...). I was looking for something simple, but noble, elegent, classy... Then I had the idea of a traditionnal english style Barleywine, or Burton Ale of some sort. Then I said to my self, why not 100% Marris Otter and 100% Fuggles?

Then I realized it have been done hundreds of time. I guess that's mean I wasn't off the road with my idea!

So, I'm asking for your experience with this particular SMASH.

How does it age? Which way it's taking after 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years?

I'm planning OG 1085 and 80-100 IBUs, oh and with WLP007 Dry English Ale

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 255

i have no experience aging such a SMaSH. however, it seems to me that aging won't do a whole lot - mostly just mellow out the hot alcohols (if there are any). i'd want to toss in 5-10% darker crytals to lend a little color. dark malts also change the most over time. something like 3-4% english chocolate and 3-4% english medium (AKA 50-60).

it's not that an all-MO beer won't change over time, it will, i just prefer the taste of age dark malts over the taste of aged all-pale malt.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 01-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
i have no experience aging such a SMaSH. however, it seems to me that aging won't do a whole lot - mostly just mellow out the hot alcohols (if there are any). i'd want to toss in 5-10% darker crytals to lend a little color. dark malts also change the most over time. something like 3-4% english chocolate and 3-4% english medium (AKA 50-60).

it's not that an all-MO beer won't change over time, it will, i just prefer the taste of age dark malts over the taste of aged all-pale malt.
Yhea, I was thinking about adding a pound of some Crystal 40 and maybe a tiny bit of roasted something.. still not decided.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2554 Times on 1504 Posts
Likes Given: 5748

I did a MO SMaSH once about two years and it came out great. It was a low grav beer, though and got consumed rather quickly. If you're going to make a Burton ale, I'd say don't age it, but as a barleywine I think it would age nicely.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 01-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #5
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Make the best beer you can; typically this is not a SMaSH. I hope whatever you decide works out.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

sweetcell Likes This 
Old 01-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #6
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I have some leftover from my german lagers... 1lb of Munich and 0.5lb of Vienna. It would do 6% and 3% of the grist. It could add a little german touch to it.

What do you think?

12lb Maris Otter
1lb Caramel 30L
1lb Munich
1lb Vienna

6oz of Fuggles

A Sherlock's Bock.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:19 AM   #7
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
Make the best beer you can; typically this is not a SMaSH. I hope whatever you decide works out.
woa... excellent advice. you make a smash to explore a particular malt and a hop. not to say that the beer can't be excellent, but excellence isn't the primary goal.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 01-11-2013, 03:02 AM   #8
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
woa... excellent advice. you make a smash to explore a particular malt and a hop. not to say that the beer can't be excellent, but excellence isn't the primary goal.
Well in my case, I want to do the best beer I can. I thought SMASH with MO and Fuggles could be a good idea, but if some crystal and/or small amount of other malts can improve the beer, I'll go this way. I don't really care if I call if Smash or not.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:37 AM   #9
looneybomber
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I like your idea of making a barleywine. I'm looking to make one for my 5th wedding anniversary, late Nov 2014. There are only a couple recipes mentioned in this thread, but Denny's recipe oughta be pretty good.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/big-...ations-379453/

Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Okay, I think I'm set.

Next month, I'll brew one barleywine.
Maris Otter, 1 lb Cara, 1lb Munich, and Fuggles

Next summer, I'll brew the one for my Dad. Same thing, but really SMASH with homegrown fresh Fuggles.

Then a few months later, I'll brew the one for the wedding, with a bit of roasted this time.

Then I'll keep a few bottles of each and mark them: 1 year, 2year, 3 year and 5 year.

So I'll have a sight on the evolution of the three

Quick Reply