The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Lowest price best quality supply store online

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
jcomiskey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lowest price best quality supply store online

Hi all!
I just started brewing yesterday. I picked up all the supplies at a somewhat local store. After checking online I came across Bells.com which had the 3lb bag of DME for $10.99 while I paid $15.99...big difference.
So I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get DME and others (barley, etc.) at even lower costs? I am willing to buy bulk, up to 50lbs, DME as well should that help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
Bear419
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Northern Brewer and Midwest Supplies have good selection and decent prices. NB has flat rate shipping on many items which can be a real boon depending where you live.

That said, if you are new to brewing, it may be worth paying the premium at you LHBS from time to time. Build a relationship and tap into their expert knowledge.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
JoeBronco
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 14

You have to really look for lowest prices on each product. I find it best to stick to just a few online places and your LHBS. Grain is normally cheaper at your home brew store due to shipping unless your close to a Northern Brewer. Grow a relationship and go from there. Sometimes the knowledge and tips you learn from your LHBS is worth more than the extra few dollars your spending. I know that HopTech (my LHBS) has saved more than a handful of my batches of beers since i started. I personally use the following.

Niko - Hops in bulk
Brew brothers out of Oregon - Hard to find Hops
Ebay

On Deck ______________ Tasty's Brown (Brown with NB)
1st Primary ____________ Sour Pliny
Kegged________________ Sangio.Port Wine
Bottle Ageing __________ Giddy Gremlin, RyIIIPAWhiskey Vanilla Porter (Bottled 4-20)

SILVER - BABO - "Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter"
SILVER - Celebrewtion - "Bourbon Vanilla Porter"
GOLD - BABO - "Hoptop"
SILVER - BABO - "Screaming Cream"
Honorable Mention: (x2) Giddy Gremlin RyIIpa (x1) Pliny The Mexican

Old 06-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Of you want the cheapest prices you have to buy in bulk. Probably 50 lb bags for grains or dme. Look in the group buy section and see if there is one local to you. Most guys are getting grain but most grain suppliers should sell sacks of dme as well.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:01 AM   #5
MultumInParvo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear419 View Post
That said, if you are new to brewing, it may be worth paying the premium at you LHBS from time to time. Build a relationship and tap into their expert knowledge.
I agree with this here.

There are a ton of online stores that are great (many with a presents here). Some things will be cheaper from some places, more expensive than others. You'll find people have their own preference as to store maybe due to costs or maybe due to website design.

For how I brew I tend to go with Brew Masters Warehouse. Things are cheap, shipping is stupid fast, and their customer service has reached all expectations. Plus, their brew builder makes my life easy. I tend to brew the same english mild every 3-4 batches so I can just click it and it is in my cart.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
BigBill
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Farmhouse brewing sells 3lbs of DME for $8.99. It is the cheapest that I know of....

Old 06-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

I would be leery of buying online from a vendor of which I didn't know the reputation. I don't want to buy cheap ingredients if they are cheap because they are old or of poor quality. That said, I do buy some ingredients locally but I find brewmasters warehouse has cheaper grains than my local stores so it's cheaper when I want to buy grain for several batches (if you put them together through the brewbuilder it's 10% off) but due to shipping it's not cheaper to buy one or two beers worth of grain. I also like hopsdirect.com for bulk hops.

I agree with the advice above about making some purchases locally; it's fine if you want to cultivate those relationships but mainly I think as a new brewery it's hard to know how fast you will want to advance to more complex brewing techniques and it doesn't make sense to have a lot of bulk DME or grain around if you aren't going to use it.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
mugzz819
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBill
Farmhouse brewing sells 3lbs of DME for $8.99. It is the cheapest that I know of....
They also sell hops pretty cheap in 4 Oz quantities which is great if you don't want a whole pound of one kind. I also use them for the specialty grains that I don't want to buy in bulk. Although if I only need a couple things it's off to my lhbs, mostly cause their awesome and I like supporting the little guys too

Old 06-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 226

I have used Austin Homembrew exclusively. Their prices are competitive, they have cheap flat rate shipping, and the service and quality are superb.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 06-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 865 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 1920

One of the subforums here is a listing of HBT Vendors - suppliers who support HBT. Take a look through there. Also, in the HomeBrew Community forum is a subforum for reviewing businesses (whether they are HBT Vendors or not), where you can find more info.

Quick Reply