low efficiency...add sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjohnson29

Reaction score
I typically hit 75-80% efficiency, but just built a small mashtun for test batches (1gallon)...got terrible efficiency. Used 5.25# grain...can I add .3# brown sugar to boost the gravity?

3 lb of brown sugar in a one gallon batch will most likely make an awful brew. For 1 gallon batches you'd probably do better with BIAB. I make my yeast starters from 2 row on my stovetop. Crack the grain, add it to a pot of hot water, wrap everything up in a blanket for an hour, pour it through colanders/sieves to remove most of the grain -- I get over 70% efficiency this way. I crush my grain pretty fearlessly.

No worries. 1.5 gallons...preboil gravity of 1062, hoping for 1090. Yah, TERRIBLE efficiency. Added. 3# of brown sugar to boost the abv by drying it out a bit...don't know the og yet, but should know pretty soon...

Honestly don't know much about BIAB, but will look into it for this weekend. Used to 5-8g batches...lot of work for just 1g, but wanted to do something small to see how this test batch turns out

bjohnson29 said:
Honestly don't know much about BIAB, but will look into it for this weekend. Used to 5-8g batches...lot of work for just 1g, but wanted to do something small to see how this test batch turns out

You'll need to use a lot of grain to get 1090 and you'll find terrible efficiency getting there with BIAB. Biab has an upper limit of about 1060 or so. To get above that takes some tricks and juggling.

Thanks for the headsup...not sure my efficiency was any better w the traditional AG way sadly. Oh well...give it another go on Sat.

Back