Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > For the love of Dry Yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
Diablotastic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default For the love of Dry Yeast?

So I'm relatively new to Homebrewing (extremely new to AG) and I know it depends on the style of beer but it seems that Dry Yeast seems to be a wonderful thing. It's like 1/3 the cost of liquid and doesn't seem to need a starter from what I've read. Of course I'm working of a 55lb bag of base US 2 row so it's seems that most recipes I've been trying can use a Safale or Notty and this may change when I start a run of Belgians but other then that....why does it seem that the LHBS and online stores try and push the more expensive Liquid versions when a dry yeast seems to work just as good if not better for alot of styles?

PRIMARY:Empty
SECONDARY:Empty
KEGGED:Orange Kolsch (BM's)
KEGGED:House Rye Pale Ale
ON DECK:Centennial Blonde

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Easy, they are more expensive. What I find amazing are people buying liquid yeast strains that are identical to dried strains.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

^+1

Right now I'm stocked up on US-05 and S-04, and that's all I'll be using for a while, but I think they have found that many strains don't take well to being dried, which is why there is still such a market for the liquid. Also, drying the yeast is probably an expensive process and is made economical by doing it in mass. Trying to maintain the same variety of yeast strains in dried yeast would be difficult.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 10-25-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
Diablotastic
Recipes 

yeah that's the conclusion that I was thinking too....when I started extract kit brewing...the only yeast option in the drop down choices are liquids. Now that I'm doin AG and putting together recipes from researching info here for the most part....I haven't picked a liquid yeast yet.

What's kinda funny is one of the better resluts I had with Extract was my 1st home brew which was a brown that came with a Notty. Of course this coulda have been a bit of a placebo affect where I was blinded by the love of homebrew in tasting my 1st creation

PRIMARY:Empty
SECONDARY:Empty
KEGGED:Orange Kolsch (BM's)
KEGGED:House Rye Pale Ale
ON DECK:Centennial Blonde

Old 10-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Dry yeasts are great. Just limited as to variety as has been mentioned. I rely almost solely on dry. SO-4 and US-05. I have used Notty and like that too but my LHBS only carries Windsor and I have not enjoyed the results of that.

It is a question of availability for me. My LHBS carries dry yeast or a locally produced liquid yeast which is TERRIBLE. Never certain if you are going to get a pure batch of yeast or if it will be infected with other microbes, wild yeasts, etc.

So I stick with dry yeast. If I want to use a particular liquid yeast I wait until I have a big order of things I can get from one of the online suppliers with flat-rate shipping. I really do not want to buy a $5-7 vial/pouch of yeast anf then pay another $5-7 shipping! Or If I happen to be traveling and I stop at another shop I buy the yeast then. I have used a belgian strain, Steam beer strains, and Scottish ale yeast. I try and plan several brews around a liquid yeast to get the most out of it too. Other than that dry works for the beers I brew.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 10-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
jpuf
Recipes 

I jumped on the dry yeast bandwagon a couple years ago. I guess before that I figured if liquid was five times the price it had to be better. WRONG! Now days I only use liquid in hefes.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 513 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Until I can brew with absolute consistency, and am sure I have my method down, then, and only then will I play around with different pitching methods. Dry yeast works just fine for me at the moment, and until I can judge my beer knowing that the only variable is a different pitching method I don't see the point in spending any extra cash.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #8
BPD
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I've only brewed 7 extract batches but recently started using the dry for the reasons above and also so that I do not have to worry about when to brew, usually I order once a month or 6 weeks. I did a search on the forums and went thru the first 10 pages of titles and didn't see what I was looking for.

Is there a good summary of the dry yeasts and what each strain is best for, aside from the catalog descriptions? and their fermentation ranges. If not that may be my winter research project

An example: The two kits I just ordered from MWS. They are usually supplied with the Muntons Fision yeast. The kits are a cream ale and a red ale, I will also be looking at an english mild and a scottish ale. (not sure yet from which supplier). For approx 2$ more would there have been a better choice of yeast?

Last edited by BPD; 10-25-2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: spelling and clarifying

Old 10-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #9
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I like dry yeast well enough. From hanghing round here recently I think I'll avoid Munton's though. I like Safale o4 and always keep a few packs on hand for emergencies. If given a choice though I'd pick liquid no matter what strain.

Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA

"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum

Old 10-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #10
faber
Recipes 

I went through my liquid yeast phase in my first year or so. Now, I only use them for hefes/wits.

Even for Belgians, I get it from a bottle of whatever.

For everything else, even lagers, dry yeast is the schiz. I look at my collection of WLP empties and think, "What the hell was I thinking...?"

Quick Reply