New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Losing weight and inches without giving up beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #21
MMW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ever hear of a full bar? I use beer the same way...when I drink a nice beer 30 min or so before dinner I find I eat way less (and I get to drink beer instead of eating some cardboard bran brick). Combine with a good high protein breakfast and a fresh, healthy lunch everyday and my weight has become manageable. There's room for beer in most diets.

Now if I could just find the time to exercise...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #22
TexasSpartan
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have a friend who swears by the lite beer diet. The problem is, of course, you have to drink lite beer.

Keg 1: Eve's Downfall Pomegranate Cider
Keg 2: Black Hops Down Black IPA

Old 06-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #23
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm fat and really miserable, I really want to lose weight and have for years but I am such a piece of **** weak minded person I have never been able to stick with it to make a difference.

I finally decided instead of cutting out everything to just start piling on the activity. That way I can drink and mostly eat what I want. Luckily for me I stopped gaining weight at around 240 and have not gone any higher. So I am hoping with just a simple lifestyle change of bike riding it can help bring me back to earth.

I bought a couple of bikes, rack and picking up a kid trailer this weekend. Here's to getting in better shape!

PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 06-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #24
Brewster2256
Recipes 

The secret is to combine the two, grab a couple friends and a couple six packs and take long hikes in isolated mountainous parks. Just don't fall off any cliffs and avoid whiskey (bad for hikes)

Old 06-04-2009, 04:33 PM   #25
artfldodger
Recipes 

another tip to help things out is instead of 3 big meals a day, eat 6 or so smaller, almost snack size meals.

this also helps your energy levels through out the day immensely. At work after a big lunch I was always dead tired for an hour or two. Now I split my lunch into 3 parts and eat it over a period of 2-3 hours, no more afternoon crash!

Old 06-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #26
Evan
Recipes 

I got into running (5K, 10K and mini's) this spring, and i've lost 10 pounds without changing my diet. but i only drink maybe two beers Monday-Thursday and maybe 5-6 the other days.

Primary 1: British IPA
Primary 2: Air

Tap 1: Drunk Elf Christmas Ale
Tap 2: Winfield Bitter (WLP002)
Tap 3: UFO Stout
Tap 4: Winfield Bitter (WLP013)

Kegged: FLP Wheat

Coming up: Citra Pale Ale

Old 06-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #27
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

You might try Eat Right For Your Type by Peter J. D'Adamo. It focuses on the right foods (and excercise) for persons of the 4 blood types; O, A, B, and AB. Bodies with different blood types can tolerate different foods. I'm type O so I can eat meat fine but starches are something I must eat in moderation and my body just doesn't like wheat at all (so pasta got cut WAY back in my diet). All I did was tweek my diet towards what it recommends and my acid reflux completely went away and I maintain a good body weight without even exercising.

For me it's either beer or dessert but not both. Beer almost always wins.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 06-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #28
HorribleCatfish
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
For me it’s all a matter of calories in vs calories out.

That means watching consumption and some form of regular exercise. I watch what I eat. More whole grains, fresh vegetables, smaller portions and I skip the sweets and snacks (I prefer my calories in beer). Truth be told, I really don’t miss the junk and rather enjoy the foods that I eat.

The biggest sacrifice is no beer during the week, well there are occasions and sometimes I consider Thursday nights part of the weekend…

Find a sustainable exercise program. One that won’t be derailed by weather or money or what ever other excuse pops up. I guarantee an overall improvement in the quality of your life and you get to drink more beer … ahhh beer.

Calories in vs. calories out...Occam's razor. This is what works for me. I do however indulge in junk food, I just step up my mileage when I go overboard with the food and beer. Currently, I'm seriously contemplating the 100 miles, 100 beers in a week challenge

Old 06-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #29
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJet View Post
Currently, I'm seriously contemplating the 100 miles, 100 beers in a week challenge
Details, I want details.
This sounds like my kind of fun.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #30
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've never been overweight, but lately I'd been gaining a pound or two here and there and not taking it back off. So three months or so ago, I decided I needed to lose 10 pounds to get back down to where I wanted to be. The only thing that has helped me is actually keeping track of every single thing I eat and drink, and learning how many calories are in everything.

I downloaded a really great (and free) iPhone app called "Lose It!" that helped me tremendously.

Once I learned how many calories were in the things I ate, I learned what was worth the calories and what wasn't. I stopped drinking sugary drinks...that was the bulk of my diet modification, along with a little portion control. I still have a Coke every once in a while, and as long as at the end of the week I've eaten an average of 1850 calories a day that week, I can eat whatever I want. I haven't cut out beer at all. I'd rather save the calories for a couple of good beers than have french fries with lunch.

Now that I pretty much know the caloric content of what I take in, I don't keep track every day, I just have a pretty accurate general idea of how many calories I eat and drink, and how many I have left for the day at any given time.

I allow for the occasional splurge without feeling guilty; I just make it up by eating a little less on other days during the week. Even better, the app I mentioned starts on Monday and ends on Sunday, so you can proactively save up a little during the week , for the weekend.

Last edited by Rick500; 06-04-2009 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply