Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Losing weight and inches without giving up beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #11
Matt Up North
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

as has been said above, try to exercise in order to be able to drink, or at least try to get in some exercise time in order to assist in burning calories. If you do that prior to eating dinner, you will lose weight more easily than cutting back on meals. Try to add a hike, walk with the dogs, run, bike ride in during the day and you will have a loss of weight. Remember lastly that beer is a filler, so that you can have a full meal and still find room for beer. The opposite isn't as true. Both ways though are more calories than if you only had 2000 calories per day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #12
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2432 Times on 1718 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

I concur. Exercise not only helps counter the calories from beer, but builds muscle and improves cardiovascular condition. You're not only lighter, but more fit too.

Of course I'm just talking for your benefit. I find it very hard to get exercise, because I don't like repetitive exercise. I'd love to shoot hoops, or play badmiton or bike, but hate doing it alone. I find it easier to fast than to exercise, but it's not as healthy.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 06-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4941 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 995

I eat very well, no junk at all, and get plenty of exercise. I haven't had a Big Mac in probably 20-25 years, and it's probably been 30 years since I've had a doughnut. I drink about 2-3 pints every night, which is alot of calories, so I need to exercise or I'd gain weight.

I weigh 135 pounds, and am very fit. I'm in better shape than my 19 year old daughter. I just had all of my blood tests done (first time to a doctor in many years) and my cholesterol is 185, and my blood pressure is 100/50. In the winter, I play hockey at least three days a week, but in the summer I bike, kayak, hike, play soccer, etc. It's fun if you make it part of your life.

It's about priorities, really. I WANT to drink beer, so I'm willing to give up the high calorie foods, and I'm willing to exercise to "earn" those beers.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #14
BittererPlease
Recipes 

I may only be 22, but I drink far more than I should and I am in great shape. 6'1", 190 pounds, 32 inch waste. It may be due to all the running, lifting and mountain biking, but I also eat very healthy. When you work out, use as little rest time as your body allows you, which in turn keeps your heart rate up and it burns energy. I've noticed that if I load up on dietary fiber, vegies, antioxidents and stay away from fats, sodium and processed sugars that I am in the clear. Eat natural, not processed foods!

Old 06-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #15
juvinious
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
It's (almost) impossible to walk/run and drink....
Bah who says!? Tell it to this group of hash runners! Now get to drinking and running!

Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Members often describe their group as "a drinking club with a running problem," indicating that the social element of an event is as important, if not more so, than any athleticism involved. Beer remains an integral part of a Hash, though the balance between running and drinking differs between kennels, with some groups placing more focus on socializing and others on running.
Bottled: Pyment | Strawberry Melomel

Old 06-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #16
Mike M
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 37

For me it’s all a matter of calories in vs calories out.

That means watching consumption and some form of regular exercise. I watch what I eat. More whole grains, fresh vegetables, smaller portions and I skip the sweets and snacks (I prefer my calories in beer). Truth be told, I really don’t miss the junk and rather enjoy the foods that I eat.

The biggest sacrifice is no beer during the week, well there are occasions and sometimes I consider Thursday nights part of the weekend…

Find a sustainable exercise program. One that won’t be derailed by weather or money or what ever other excuse pops up. I guarantee an overall improvement in the quality of your life and you get to drink more beer … ahhh beer.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #17
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BittererPlease View Post
Eat natural, not processed foods!
Thats the key there, for me anyway. My triglicerids(sp) were right at 500, and all my other good and bad cholosteral were way high and low 3 years ago. I am 5'10.5" tall and weighed 206. My doctor wanted to put me on meds for the bloodwork. I asked if there was another way. He suggested two books:

1. The Miami Mediterranean diet

2. The South beach diet (same as above but more laxed)

We bought both books but only used the first one. Gave away all the processed food in the house and bought all fresh, non processed. Which made for 2-3 trips a week to the grocery store (no preservatives).

After 6 months I went back. Weighed 172 and all blood work was right in line except my good cholesteral which was one point too low. Still havent done a lick of exercise (although I need to). I am 44 years old.

If you eat what God/Nature (whatever your beliefs) intended you will reach your target weight for your height. Then excercise for your health.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #18
Sharkeydude
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Since I have been back to homebrewing I have actually lost weight. Today I'm at a 32lb loss since February.
I think the key here is that I actually drink less of my home brew as compared to the majors in the same amount of time. The reason for me is, it has more taste, and a better kick so, I drink a little less. During the week I keep it to one 12oz a day and sometimes only half of that. Not to say that I don't blow it out every now and then on the weekends. I just savor it more than I would a 12 of MHL! Just regulate your intake and make room for the beer. I like to call it Beersert.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #19
flylock_jac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Exercise - limited to 12 oz curls.
I weigh the same now as I did when I turned legal in 1974. Some people gain weight just by looking at beer. I'm lucky I eat and drink what ever I want it don't gain an ounce.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #20
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've lost 25 lbs and two belt sizes in 12 months by doing two pretty easy things:

1) I cut all soda (even diet), juices, etc. out of my diet. The only liquids I drink now are water, beer, wine and black coffee (maybe a glass of OJ once a week or so). I'd probably add milk to that list too, but my stomach isn't happy when I drink it. I still drink 2 beers or glasses of wine a night. If I used to drink 1.5 sodas per day on average, that's about 200 calories per day--good enough for probably one beer.

2) I turned a 12" typical lunchtime Subway sub to 6" (no mayo, no cheese, no chips, no soda (see #1). That's probably another 300-400 calories per day right there.

Quick Reply