Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > looking for a quality reciepie for Mr beer.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 01:30 AM   #11
mojo_wire
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 203
Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Doing mead in a Mr. Beer is no big deal, but that would take about a year.

Sometimes there's no substitute for time and patience.

__________________
mojo_wire is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 01:30 AM   #12
Nembrionic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolidaze View Post
thank u so if im trying to speed things up i may want not use honey at all?
Ask yourself this: WHY would you like to use honey?

For flavor or for fermentation?

In case of flavor: add it at the end of your boiling. For fermentation: add it after cooling;
__________________
Nembrionic is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 02:05 AM   #13
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: OH
Posts: 3,379
Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Default

If you want more flavor from it, I'd also add at cooled wort, or even as the bulk of fermentation dies down. The less you heat honey, the more likely you are to retain some of the more delicate flavors. Of course, if you're adding a smallish amount of honey to an otherwise big beer, you're probably not going to taste the honey anyway. Add it when it's convenient.

__________________

Don't worry, be hoppy.

GuldTuborg is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 02:56 AM   #14
DocHolidaze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: nor, cal
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nembrionic View Post
Ask yourself this: WHY would you like to use honey?

For flavor or for fermentation?

In case of flavor: add it at the end of your boiling. For fermentation: add it after cooling;
reason i choose honey is i have a cheap fresh supply of it available to me, this is my first brew today i don't have preferences based on experience. all i know i want is highest gravity, least amount of time any suggestions for this?
__________________
DocHolidaze is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 02:59 AM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,804
Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Default

Every post of yours in here is about two things, "Fast" and "High"

So it appears basically you just care about a cheap quick buzz over anything else??? Most of us on here care about flavor and quality over alcoholic content, and are willing to be patient to achieve it. If you want quick and strong, then just go by a couple 40's of malt liquor and call it a day.

We keep telling you high gravity and quick turnover don't go together.

If you really want to make good beer, we'll help you, if all you want is hooch, then maybe you should look elsewhere.

If you want to learn about making great beer, start by reading this.... How To Brew. And get an understanding about ingredients and the process and what works and what doesn't....

We're not making koolaid, this stuff takes time.

__________________

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 03:48 AM   #16
DocHolidaze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: nor, cal
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Every post of yours in here is about two things, "Fast" and "High"
So it appears basically you just care about a cheap quick buzz over anything else??? Most of us on here care about flavor and quality over alcoholic content, and are willing to be patient to achieve it. If you want quick and strong, then just go by a couple 40's of malt liquor and call it a day.
We keep telling you high gravity and quick turnover don't go together.
If you really want to make good beer, we'll help you, if all you want is hooch, then maybe you should look elsewhere.
If you want to learn about making great beer, start by reading this.... How To Brew. And get an understanding about ingredients and the process and what works and what doesn't....
We're not making koolaid, this stuff takes time.
u must be the welcoming committee that is spoken so highly of, or your some experienced brewer that gets his kicks by looking down on new guys for asking questions that, surprise.... they want to know about, either way im more than happy to be your stepping stone to a better self image, i just want a recipe or suggestions that would yield most alcohol percentage in the least amount of time i don't want "hooch" as u put it, i want to be able to use fresh quality ingredients of my choosing and by the end of summer of ingredients of my own garden, since this is my first round at brewing, im going with what i know and i know i like high gravity and i know how many gallons im capable of producing so to obtain a recipe that gives me the highest gravity in around 30 days is what i know i want. Is it that disrespectful to the home brewers community to seek out what i want? if it is i apologize, but i don't believe anyone should be looked down upon because they seek knowledge
__________________
DocHolidaze is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 04:39 AM   #17
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: OH
Posts: 3,379
Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Default

Schramm's "Hefty Braggot" might be just what you're looking for. I'd still give it at least 2 months to be drinkable, and I'd bet a year of aging would turn it into something very nice. I'd also recommend using an ale yeast with this recipe. It's around the interwebz, if you search.

__________________

Don't worry, be hoppy.

GuldTuborg is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 04:43 AM   #18
DocHolidaze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: nor, cal
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuldTuborg View Post
Schramm's "Hefty Braggot" might be just what you're looking for. I'd still give it at least 2 months to be drinkable, and I'd bet a year of aging would turn it into something very nice. I'd also recommend using an ale yeast with this recipe. It's around the interwebz, if you search.
thank u i was just looking into braggorts
__________________
DocHolidaze is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #19
veritas524
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Adana, Turkey, Turkey
Posts: 332
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolidaze View Post
u must be the welcoming committee that is spoken so highly of, or your some experienced brewer that gets his kicks by looking down on new guys for asking questions that, surprise.... they want to know about, either way im more than happy to be your stepping stone to a better self image, i just want a recipe or suggestions that would yield most alcohol percentage in the least amount of time i don't want "hooch" as u put it, i want to be able to use fresh quality ingredients of my choosing and by the end of summer of ingredients of my own garden, since this is my first round at brewing, im going with what i know and i know i like high gravity and i know how many gallons im capable of producing so to obtain a recipe that gives me the highest gravity in around 30 days is what i know i want. Is it that disrespectful to the home brewers community to seek out what i want? if it is i apologize, but i don't believe anyone should be looked down upon because they seek knowledge


He's not slamming you, in fact he's one of the most helpful people on these forums. He's simply trying to tell you that if you want a high ABV beer that doesn't taste like nuclear horse piss you need to let it age. If you want something that you can drink relatively fast (still six weeks if you're bottle conditioning) look at a wheat based beer. If you want to brew a big beer with big flavors, it takes time for everything to meld. Read the How to Brew links that Revvy gave you, it'll tell you everything you need to know to get started.
__________________
veritas524 is offline
Revvy Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #20
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,540
Liked 255 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritas524 View Post
If you want something that you can drink relatively fast (still six weeks if you're bottle conditioning) look at a wheat based beer.
You can get a decent Pale Ale in the glass in 4 weeks:

- 2 weeks Primary.
- 2 weeks in bottle at 70+F

That's way too quick for me as I like to let them clear in the fermenter.

However, the higher the abv, the longer it will take to be balanced and refreshing.

A big problem we have is that we really don't know what he wants to brew. All we have is he wants to use a lot of honey, and to me that means it is going to take a while, even if I could think of a decent beer style with lots of honey.
__________________
Calder is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brew Quality -- I'm not quite there yet baron General Beer Discussion 12 11-18-2011 09:22 PM
Anyone know of good quality beer stores in the Twin Cities? msa8967 General Beer Discussion 32 08-11-2011 05:58 PM
quality control issues in commercial beer rexbanner General Beer Discussion 13 01-11-2011 06:55 PM
Out of town without quality beer Dannypittman General Beer Discussion 2 01-19-2010 02:27 PM
Quality Saterday Dinbin General Beer Discussion 2 09-09-2007 07:16 AM