Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > looking for a quality reciepie for Mr beer.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 01:30 AM   #11
mojo_wire
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Doing mead in a Mr. Beer is no big deal, but that would take about a year.

Sometimes there's no substitute for time and patience.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 01:30 AM   #12
Nembrionic
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolidaze View Post
thank u so if im trying to speed things up i may want not use honey at all?
Ask yourself this: WHY would you like to use honey?

For flavor or for fermentation?

In case of flavor: add it at the end of your boiling. For fermentation: add it after cooling;

Old 03-04-2012, 02:05 AM   #13
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

If you want more flavor from it, I'd also add at cooled wort, or even as the bulk of fermentation dies down. The less you heat honey, the more likely you are to retain some of the more delicate flavors. Of course, if you're adding a smallish amount of honey to an otherwise big beer, you're probably not going to taste the honey anyway. Add it when it's convenient.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:56 AM   #14
DocHolidaze
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nembrionic View Post
Ask yourself this: WHY would you like to use honey?

For flavor or for fermentation?

In case of flavor: add it at the end of your boiling. For fermentation: add it after cooling;
reason i choose honey is i have a cheap fresh supply of it available to me, this is my first brew today i don't have preferences based on experience. all i know i want is highest gravity, least amount of time any suggestions for this?

Old 03-04-2012, 02:59 AM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Every post of yours in here is about two things, "Fast" and "High"

So it appears basically you just care about a cheap quick buzz over anything else??? Most of us on here care about flavor and quality over alcoholic content, and are willing to be patient to achieve it. If you want quick and strong, then just go by a couple 40's of malt liquor and call it a day.

We keep telling you high gravity and quick turnover don't go together.

If you really want to make good beer, we'll help you, if all you want is hooch, then maybe you should look elsewhere.

If you want to learn about making great beer, start by reading this.... How To Brew. And get an understanding about ingredients and the process and what works and what doesn't....

We're not making koolaid, this stuff takes time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-04-2012, 03:48 AM   #16
DocHolidaze
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Every post of yours in here is about two things, "Fast" and "High"
So it appears basically you just care about a cheap quick buzz over anything else??? Most of us on here care about flavor and quality over alcoholic content, and are willing to be patient to achieve it. If you want quick and strong, then just go by a couple 40's of malt liquor and call it a day.
We keep telling you high gravity and quick turnover don't go together.
If you really want to make good beer, we'll help you, if all you want is hooch, then maybe you should look elsewhere.
If you want to learn about making great beer, start by reading this.... How To Brew. And get an understanding about ingredients and the process and what works and what doesn't....
We're not making koolaid, this stuff takes time.
u must be the welcoming committee that is spoken so highly of, or your some experienced brewer that gets his kicks by looking down on new guys for asking questions that, surprise.... they want to know about, either way im more than happy to be your stepping stone to a better self image, i just want a recipe or suggestions that would yield most alcohol percentage in the least amount of time i don't want "hooch" as u put it, i want to be able to use fresh quality ingredients of my choosing and by the end of summer of ingredients of my own garden, since this is my first round at brewing, im going with what i know and i know i like high gravity and i know how many gallons im capable of producing so to obtain a recipe that gives me the highest gravity in around 30 days is what i know i want. Is it that disrespectful to the home brewers community to seek out what i want? if it is i apologize, but i don't believe anyone should be looked down upon because they seek knowledge

Old 03-04-2012, 04:39 AM   #17
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Schramm's "Hefty Braggot" might be just what you're looking for. I'd still give it at least 2 months to be drinkable, and I'd bet a year of aging would turn it into something very nice. I'd also recommend using an ale yeast with this recipe. It's around the interwebz, if you search.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:43 AM   #18
DocHolidaze
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuldTuborg View Post
Schramm's "Hefty Braggot" might be just what you're looking for. I'd still give it at least 2 months to be drinkable, and I'd bet a year of aging would turn it into something very nice. I'd also recommend using an ale yeast with this recipe. It's around the interwebz, if you search.
thank u i was just looking into braggorts

Old 03-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #19
veritas524
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolidaze View Post
u must be the welcoming committee that is spoken so highly of, or your some experienced brewer that gets his kicks by looking down on new guys for asking questions that, surprise.... they want to know about, either way im more than happy to be your stepping stone to a better self image, i just want a recipe or suggestions that would yield most alcohol percentage in the least amount of time i don't want "hooch" as u put it, i want to be able to use fresh quality ingredients of my choosing and by the end of summer of ingredients of my own garden, since this is my first round at brewing, im going with what i know and i know i like high gravity and i know how many gallons im capable of producing so to obtain a recipe that gives me the highest gravity in around 30 days is what i know i want. Is it that disrespectful to the home brewers community to seek out what i want? if it is i apologize, but i don't believe anyone should be looked down upon because they seek knowledge

He's not slamming you, in fact he's one of the most helpful people on these forums. He's simply trying to tell you that if you want a high ABV beer that doesn't taste like nuclear horse piss you need to let it age. If you want something that you can drink relatively fast (still six weeks if you're bottle conditioning) look at a wheat based beer. If you want to brew a big beer with big flavors, it takes time for everything to meld. Read the How to Brew links that Revvy gave you, it'll tell you everything you need to know to get started.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #20
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritas524 View Post
If you want something that you can drink relatively fast (still six weeks if you're bottle conditioning) look at a wheat based beer.
You can get a decent Pale Ale in the glass in 4 weeks:

- 2 weeks Primary.
- 2 weeks in bottle at 70+F

That's way too quick for me as I like to let them clear in the fermenter.

However, the higher the abv, the longer it will take to be balanced and refreshing.

A big problem we have is that we really don't know what he wants to brew. All we have is he wants to use a lot of honey, and to me that means it is going to take a while, even if I could think of a decent beer style with lots of honey.

Quick Reply