New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > looking for a quality reciepie for Mr beer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
DocHolidaze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default looking for a quality reciepie for Mr beer.

I have access to quality raw honey, i would like to be able to drink it 30 days from starting fermentation and i enjoy higher percentage beers, dark or light,is there any receipies that anybody want to suggest that would fit this situation

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
moorerm04
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

30 days!? That is a stretch for any high gravity beer. Your best bet is to try and find a honey Hefe recipe scaled down to 2.5 gallons.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

Nothing....Higher gravity beers usually take longer than 30 days. My "NORMAL" gravity beers tend to take 8 weeks from grain to glass. Higher grav beers can take weeks to months longer.

For one thing bottle carbing ALONE is going to take a minimum 3 weeks, actually those big PETE bottles that come with a mr beer kit, it would be a minimum 1 month just to carb and hopefully condition the beer.

This cartoon by Lazy Llama should give you an idea.

If you want high gravity beers, you have to be more realistic in your time table.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
DocHolidaze
Recipes 

nice this is the stuff i need to hear, so to get a beer lets call it 8.0 what kind of time table am i looking at, and could i do straight mead in a mr beer?

Old 03-04-2012, 01:04 AM   #5
moorerm04
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

8%.... You are looking at more like 6-8 weeks at best IMO.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #6
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolidaze View Post
nice this is the stuff i need to hear, so to get a beer lets call it 8.0 what kind of time table am i looking at, and could i do straight mead in a mr beer?
Also, honey is slow to ferment. If you have a high concentration of honey, it will take longer to ferment than a regular malt beer.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:15 AM   #7
GuldTuborg

Recipes 

Liked 298 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
Also, honey is slow to ferment. If you have a high concentration of honey, it will take longer to ferment than a regular malt beer.
No, it really shouldn't. It might take longer for the flavors to even out (if it's a big beer), but honey usually ferments very quickly in wort.

I'm in agreement with the poster above - an 8% beer or braggot will take at least 2 months to be drinkable, but longer would be much better. A straight mead will take probably double that time.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #8
DocHolidaze
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
thank u so if im trying to speed things up i may want not use honey at all?

Old 03-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #9
DocHolidaze
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuldTuborg View Post
No, it really shouldn't. It might take longer for the flavors to even out (if it's a big beer), but honey usually ferments very quickly in wort.
r u saying honey is faster? im hearing two different things now what to do?

Old 03-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #10
GuldTuborg

Recipes 

Liked 298 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 160

A lot of people tend to state that honey ferments slowly, because meads used to ferment slowly back when most brewers/meadmakers didn't know as much about yeast and yeast nutrition. There's nothing about honey that makes for slow fermentation in wort; it's just sugar, basically, and ferments quickly. When making a straight mead (just honey, water, and yeast), though, honey makes for a high acid, (frequently) high gravity, low nutrient must, which of course takes a long time to ferment. Add honey to beer wort, where the acid is lower and the nutrients are higher, and there's no problem, just like there's no problem for modern meadmakers who use nutrient regimens, ensure proper yeast health, and sometimes even control for acidity. That's my take on the matter, anyway.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Quick Reply