Looking for pointers. First timer mistakes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bourbeusebrew

Reaction score
First brew with a decent set up. I'm cooking up an Irish Red Ale and I want to know I anyone has some pointers on typical first brew mistakes. Thanks for any and all tips.

Yeah relax and drink a few beers while brewing and more importantly enjoy yourself!

But seriously make sure you have a plan for everything and sanatize everything.

I assume it's an extract kit. Follow the instructions exact, monitor ferm temps best you can, sanitize every thing that touches beer like it's a tool used to operate on someone with, drink beer, have fun.

The best thing you can do is to relax and enjoy the brew day. Have a few brews. Have a plan of attack for the brew. I like to write everything down that's going to happen during the boil in an outline. I also use a brew timer on phone so I don't miss any additions to the boil. The biggest bit of advice is to make sure you have good sanitary practices. If you have good sanitary practices, the worse thing that will happen is that you'll have beer to drink. Sanitation and proper fermentation are the biggest factors, in my opinion, to a successful beer.

Also, welcome to the forum!

Have fun! You will soon understand that on brew day something will go wrong. You can freakout, run in circles yelling,"ZOMG!, ZOMG!, ZOMG!" OR you can come to terms that sometimes this happens. Beer is REALLY hard to screw up. It may not be perfect but you will think it is anyway!

The best advice is: Start planning your second batch ASAP! Patience is much easier while you have a home brew in hand vs. drinking all the 1st batch and waiting for the second one to be done! aka pipeline.

Have fun!

Thanks for all the tips! One day when my brew pub opens up there will be a cold one waiting for you!

The one mistake I made on my 1st ale was high pitch temp. Like 30C (87F) wrong. From now on,I always take the completed wort to the sink for an ice water bath with a floating thermometer in it. I get it down to between 67-70F.
No more off flavors from high pitch temp/initial ferment temps. Also,chilling the wort quickly is supposed to help cut chill haze. I think that,& getting a mini hot break using half my DME in the boil,& the quick wort chill helps with that. It now takes overnight in the fridge for it to haze up.
So I can chill some for my wife & I for a few hours with no chill haze. But the settled yeast/trub isn't as compacted either,due to the short chill time.

First brew with a decent set up. I'm cooking up an Irish Red Ale and I want to know I anyone has some pointers on typical first brew mistakes. Thanks for any and all tips.

Tip #1- Either be of legal age, or at least smart enough to lie about your age when registering for a forum that requires this.

According to the rules you agreed to when you registered, "you must be of legal age to brew in the state and country in which you reside". If you're not, at least be smart enough to figure out what year you should have been born in to be 21.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back