Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Looking to make a stainless mesh hop bag...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
bovineblitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewThruYou View Post
I was gonna say that's the one I have, but I actually have the large size and not the jumbo.

The large one will hold 2oz of pellet hops, but 2oz is jampacked. The jumbo one (5") looks quite a bit bigger...wish I would've got that one.
I have both. I don't put more than 1.5oz in the 4" ones, and 2.5" in the 5" one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TH- View Post
Would that work when you have multiple hop additions?
You need more than one then. If I have a TON of additions, I use a couple muslin bags in addition to my 4 mesh infusers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #12
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2033 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex View Post
You could also 'sew/weave' some SS mesh into cylinder shape with SS safety wire.
Which sounds cooler:

"Yeah, it's a hop strainer, I sewed it myself!"

or,

"Yeah, it's a hop strainer, I welded it myself!"

Old 02-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #13
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
I guess I'm going to need an explanation on the hop bag/paint strainer bag, and precisely what problem a stainless steel mesh fixes.
The pvc/paint strainer I tried is like here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/lil-sparky-tha-man-40738/ you’ll have to go to page 3 to see some sample pics I think. Anyway it didn’t work well for me because the bag stretched as wide as the pot so I couldn’t stir at all, plus I got a lot of foam/bubbles even though I use fermcap. I tried it 4 or 5 times and just didn’t like it. I could probably make it work somehow, but I like the idea of making something else out of stainless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex View Post
You could also 'sew/weave' some SS mesh into cylinder shape with SS safety wire.
This is basically what I had in mind. Just wondered if anyone else had done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Which sounds cooler:

"Yeah, it's a hop strainer, I sewed it myself!"

or,

"Yeah, it's a hop strainer, I welded it myself!"
No question welded is cooler. Unfortunately the welder I have access to doesn't have SS wire in it.

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 02-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #14
metaltim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i use the SS tea balls for dry hopping in the keg. works great cause you can just drop it in, and not have to worry about it getting sucked up and blocking the dip tube like a mesh bag would.

You can use them in boil, but as stated, you can't really add more hops once it's in. Solution? Well, for only $3.50 ea. just buy about 5-6 of em. use one for each addition.
http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Stainless-Steel-Mesh-Ball/dp/B00004RIZ7/ref=pd_bxgy_k_img_b

Old 02-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #15
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you stirring in your wort during the boil?

Old 02-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #16
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you stirring in your wort during the boil?
I guess when I used a hop bag then nothing, except to try to move the paint strainer back to the middle, which was difficult because the pressure wanting to expand it was so great. Back then I used an IC and had nowhere to put it which was a real PITA. I suppose i could try it again now that I use a CFC but I'd rather come up with something else.

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 02-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #17
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaltim View Post
i use the SS tea balls for dry hopping in the keg. works great cause you can just drop it in, and not have to worry about it getting sucked up and blocking the dip tube like a mesh bag would.

You can use them in boil, but as stated, you can't really add more hops once it's in. Solution? Well, for only $3.50 ea. just buy about 5-6 of em. use one for each addition.
http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Stainless-Steel-Mesh-Ball/dp/B00004RIZ7/ref=pd_bxgy_k_img_b
I have one of those tiny ones. I wouldn't put more than a half ounce in those, personally. The hops form such a thick ball I think the surface area/utilization suffers a lot

Old 02-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #18
Hex
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Sounds like a SS mesh hop spider could be fabricated that took up half the kettle (half cylinder) while allowing stirring access to both the bottom of the kettle and the hops side. It could clip over the side of the kettle and go nearly to the bottom.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #19
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2033 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

The problem that I have is bending the stuff. It's pretty stiff and hard to work with. I suppose if I really sat down and tried it it might work out, but it would be best for someone with metal bending experience and the right tools.

That's one reason I thought using a frame to hold open a paint strainer would work better. Cheaper to build and anyone can buy replaceable bags once they have a frame.

Then again, the SS mesh would be infinitely reusable.

Quick Reply