Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Looking for input from the general public.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 03:22 AM   #1
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Looking for input from the general public.

So I'm finally making some decent beers. Beers that I"m willing to share with anyone who is willing to try them. Problem is, the only response I seem to get from friends and family is "This isn't bad". I'm planning on bringing a couple from my lineup to a local brewery to have them try and give me some professional feedback. I"d also like to get some feedback from "non professionals". I want to know from people who buy beer, if they'd buy MY beer. So my thought was to bottle a batch to bring to my local distributor to just give away. In each six pack holder I'd leave a "feedback sheet" with a stamped envelope or an email address to drop me a line and see what the local drinkers think.

The problem of legality comes up. I'm wondering if it's legal to give beer away at a distributor. I'd have the owner only give away a 6 pack to people who are buying beer anyway. I could, of course, go on craigslist and offer up free beer to people, but i don't want a bunch of high school kids coming to my house begging for beer. If it in any way threatens the owner of the distributor, I wouldn't do it, but what do you guys think? Should I just do it on my own and not get anyone involved, or is there no risk whatsoever with my plan?

Mikeysab on untappd.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 03:26 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

I doubt the distributor will go for it, but there's no harm in trying I suppose.

Personally...I would keep my beer to myself. If you like it, who cares what other people think?

Another HERMS rig...

Old 08-04-2011, 03:32 AM   #3
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts

Hard to say if a distributor would go for it, but I think they would resist the idea. Perhaps you could go to some local homebrew club meetings and have some people taste your beer. You could also enter into some competitions which guarantees you get feedback.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 08-04-2011, 03:33 AM   #4
hattrick3518
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Lots of hoops to get through there, just simply dropping off a bottle with a "feedback sheet" will likely not fare too well. Competition is high, and big distributors are really only interested in volume. Best of luck.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:34 AM   #5
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I guess I should have mentioned that the idea of opening a brewpub has been fluttering around in my head. I went to culinary school and can whip up some tasty dishes. Here in SI, ther are no breweries or brewpubs, so I think the idea of people drinking beer that was brewed right here would appeal to people.

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:57 AM   #6
TexasSpartan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Not to be a dick, but why would a distributor take the time and money to give away a beer that they're not making any money off of, any sort of legality issues notwithstanding.

Find beer drinking friends who have opinions/palates you trust. Most of my friends that I give homebrew to tell me they like it. I have no idea if they actually do, or they're just "meh" on it but want me to keep giving them free beer. I do have a few that I can count on for actual feedback on my beer, what's good and what I need to work on.

Keg 1: Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 2: Honey Jalapeno Saison

Old 08-04-2011, 04:05 AM   #7
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Your second paragraph is what im trying to avoid. Like I said, im tired of hearing "its not bad". I want to know if people would buy it, from people who dont know

I was thinking that they could do a "Free six pack with purchase of any growler". It might help them move kegs quicker, instead of seeing the same crap on tap every time I go in there.

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:18 AM   #8
Scoobs95407
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have taken mine to a couple of local restaurants locally and if you can talk to the owner maybe he will be willing to pour some for the beer drinkers at the bar. when I did it it went real well. He just poured samples for folks drinking beer and I sat there and listened to them ask if they were going to start serving this and who is it made by. This is the best feedback I could get. Try it out and best of luck too you.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:21 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 999

You should enter a BJCP competition! You'll get back official scoresheets, with helpful hints and any notes to help you improve. Impartial BJCP judges will give you the best feedback.

A list of upcoming competitions; http://www.bjcp.org/apps/comp_schedu...n_schedule.php

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 08-04-2011, 04:21 AM   #10
Veinman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You're going to be much better off finding a local homebrew club to sample your beer and chat with or entering your beer in contests.

Both of those will be populated with people who like good beer, know why they like good beer, and are willing to offer specific, constructive feedback on how to improve your beers. All of these things are equally important in feeback if you're looking to improve your product and beer clubs and competitions are going to offer a lot more information in all of these areas.

There are way to many hurdles in trying to hand it out randomnly at distributiors and I think you'll be quite disappointed with the results in number of envelopes you get returned and the quality of information your feedback sheets contain.

Quick Reply