Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Looking for a good LHBS in/around Lansing/E Lansing MI

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
jmiracle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Looking for a good LHBS in/around Lansing/E Lansing MI

It looks very likely that this fall I'll be moving in or around East Lansing, MI (to attend MSU Law School BOOYA! Sorry I'm still a little excited). I'm not very familiar with the area and I was wondering if anybody could recommend a good LHBS. When I google I get Red Salamander in Grand Ledge and Capital Draft Services in Lansing. Red Salamander sounds good, does anybody have any experience with it? While I'm at it any good brewpubs or breweries would be kickin rad as well. Thanks a lot in advance. I'm excited that I might be near enough to a quality LHBS, the only one around here sports such exciting items as 1 pound bags of uncrushed 2 row for $3.50 (and they've been there for years), only selling HOPPED DME, some dusty cans of LME and some Brewer's Best kits and no-boil kits, and about the only thing I buy from them now is tubing, bottle caps, corn sugar and yeast if there's an emergency.

Bottled & carbing: Nothin
drinking: Poet on Payday Wee Heavy
gone but not forgotten: Wilford (Oatmeal Stout) Samhain Surprise Porter, J's Mirac-Ale (Brown Ale), Altered Beast Ale (German Alt), Chucks Not Ballys Cali Common, S'Wheat (Honey Weizen), NIHs (Numerous Identical Hefes), Wittler Farms Maple Brown, Failed Experimental Yarrow Beer, O'Mega Red (Irish Red)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 01:44 AM   #2
BrianP

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Look no further than "Things Beer" which is part of Michigan Brewing Company in Webberville (I-96, exit 122, a few miles east of Okemos).

http://www.michiganbrewing.com/mbc.htm

Nice selection of brewing supplies, and fantastic prices on grains. Plus they have a killer brewpub with probably a dozen of their beers on tap.

Around Christmas, I bought 50# of Breiss 2-row for $33. Specialty grains are in the 1.50 to 2.00 range in pre-packaged 1# lots.

There are others in the area, but this one is a winner for me.

Cheers,

BP

-------------------------------
Fermenter 1: Best bitter (1)
Fermenter 2: Best bitter (2)
Fermenter 3: APA
Fermenter 4: APA

Old 02-19-2008, 01:48 AM   #3
missing link
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My thoughts exactly. Michigan brewery will fill a Cornie for $37. Pints are just over $3 and they seem to have a decent homebrew supply shop.

Linc

Tap#1 = Beer
Tap#2 = Beer

THey change to often to keep up with the Sig.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
jmiracle

Recipes 

Nice, thanks guys! I'll most likely be moving to cornies after the move so that'll time perfectly.

gone but not forgotten: Wilford (Oatmeal Stout) Samhain Surprise Porter, J's Mirac-Ale (Brown Ale), Altered Beast Ale (German Alt), Chucks Not Ballys Cali Common, S'Wheat (Honey Weizen), NIHs (Numerous Identical Hefes), Wittler Farms Maple Brown, Failed Experimental Yarrow Beer, O'Mega Red (Irish Red)

Old 02-19-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
Dustin_J
Recipes 

I've bought stuff at both places, and I don't think you can go wrong with either. The Red Salamander is pretty comparable to Things Beer I think, and Karl, the owner, is a nice guy and is really helpful with all kinds of things brewing related.

Also, there's a brewpub in town call Harper's that is close to campus and has pretty good beer. Plus they fill cornies for $25 (maybe $30 now), which is pretty sick.

"People who choose Bud and Coors over a microbrew are the same people that put catsup on their steak." - Some guy on the internet

Old 02-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
jmiracle

Recipes 

Well that's good to know Dustin thanks a lot. I'm sure I'll check out both places eventually but it sounds like I definitely need to get at least one corny. The good part about moving near a major university is I bet I can score a good kegerator for cheap/free if I get to it at the right time.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:06 AM   #7
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing link
My thoughts exactly. Michigan brewery will fill a Cornie for $37. Pints are just over $3 and they seem to have a decent homebrew supply shop.

Linc
Cornys filled for $40, pints are $4.

BrianP is dead-on.

Oh, it's sixteen taps...

RICLARK can tell you about the Red Salamander. I've heard OK, just no brewery or pub....
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 03-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiracle
It looks very likely that this fall I'll be moving in or around East Lansing, MI (to attend MSU Law School BOOYA! Sorry I'm still a little excited). I'm not very familiar with the area and I was wondering if anybody could recommend a good LHBS. When I google I get Red Salamander in Grand Ledge and Capital Draft Services in Lansing. Red Salamander sounds good, does anybody have any experience with it? While I'm at it any good brewpubs or breweries would be kickin rad as well. Thanks a lot in advance. I'm excited that I might be near enough to a quality LHBS, the only one around here sports such exciting items as 1 pound bags of uncrushed 2 row for $3.50 (and they've been there for years), only selling HOPPED DME, some dusty cans of LME and some Brewer's Best kits and no-boil kits, and about the only thing I buy from them now is tubing, bottle caps, corn sugar and yeast if there's an emergency.
I didn't even know this thread existed, Did you make in to The Red Salamander yet? There great knowledgable guys that go out of there way to help you with anything you need, If you can't find what you need in there, then well you wont find it except of course for certain hops.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 03-28-2008, 03:15 PM   #9
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just heard that Harper's Brewpub in East Lansing is CLOSING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 03-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #10
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill
Just heard that Harper's Brewpub in East Lansing is CLOSING.
No ****? Where did you hear that? They do a booming buisness down there.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Quick Reply