Looking for a good first lager to brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polarbearbrewing

Reaction score
So I recently decided I needed to gain better control of my fermentation temps than a swamp cooler allowed so I took the plunge and bought a 5cf GE chest freezer and a Johnson A419 digital controller. I built an 8" collar around it today so that I can fit two plastic fermenters with airlocks inside.
I've got at least 3 more ale's planned this summer, but I'm itching to do my first lager. I figure I can brew it in the fall and let it go throughout the cold winter when I don't feel like many a brew day.
What are you guys' suggestions for a tasty first lager to brew? I tend to go for the darker german beers, but I'm open to any suggestions! :mug:

Munich Dunkel is the way to go. Shoot for 1.050 SG.
97% Munich malt
3%carafa special 2
Mash @ 154

25 IBU from a noble hop ( I like hallertau)
1/2 oz hallertau @ 15 minutes

WLP830

This beer is the essence of malt.

I would go with something "small" in regard to gravity (1.045)... So, the lighter end of pilsner, helles, dunkel, vienna..... One challenge of lagers is pitching enough yeast. You will already need to make a big starter for even a "small" lager. But, starting on the small end makes the starter more manageable, and then you can repitch the yeast into a couple more bigger lagers after that.... like oktoberfest, bock, maibock, etc.

Anyone of those first 4 are great drinking beers though.

Back