Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Looking for good examples of various mouthfeel characteristics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 06:35 AM   #1
RoseburgBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Looking for good examples of various mouthfeel characteristics

I recently read the mouthfeel article in the Aug./Sept. edition of BYO . After reeding the article I thought it would be a good idea for my local brew club to do some tasting to get familiar with different types or descripitons of mouthfeel. The only problem with this is that I don't know of any good examples that are easily available. The article mentioned a few beers do compare with but alot of these beers are beers that I have never had or had acces to. So I'm looking for some suggestions on beers that have strong charteristics of different types of mouthfeel. I live in SW Oregon so I have some options, but I don't know of any good examples to try so I am looking for suggestions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Um, try a blonde/cream ale compared to an oatmeal stout. Try going to the BJCP website and look at some of the style descriptions, they also include mouthfeel. From there maybe go to Beer Advocate - Respect Beer. to search for commercial brands of the styles you looked at.

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 09-05-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
RoseburgBrewer
Recipes 

thanks for the tips

Old 09-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
Nanobru
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The most obvious demonstration would be to brew duplicate batches of your favorite brew. The first would mash at 150, and the second at 158. You would be amazed. Compare a store bought Force Carbonated vs Natural Carbonation vs Cask Conditioned vs Nitro.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

It's not always as easy as doing two different mash temps because you might construe the hot mash (higher FG) as simply be sweet or cloying if you don't acheive the same balance as the lower FG beer. You'd get closer to that goal by slightly increasing the IBU on the hotter mashed beer.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply