Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Looking for a good brew book

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 09:54 PM   #11
fat x nub
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Carlie Papazian will cover everything you need to know about homebrewing. Brewing Classic styles by Jamil Zainasheff and John J. Palmer have GREAT recipes. And this book doesn't tell you really how to brew but it is my FAVORITE beer book i read when i take dumps all the time. Its called Microbrewed Adventures by Charlie Papazian. ANd after it talks about the microbrewed beer it gives you a homebrew recipe. It has some amazing recips. And i am going to order radical brewing....seems like a great book

Primary 1-This Bud's for you
Primary 2- Cream Ale
Secondary 1- Strong Scotch Ale
Secondary 2- empty
Bottled/Kegged- Centinneal Blonde, Apfelwein
Up Next- MyCastle (N.English Brown Ale), Hooch Pale Ale
Thinking About: Tripple Bock, Chocolate Stout, open to suggestions

"Every beer is a good beer if I can taste the brewer's intent"
-Jim Koch

Is this guy serious??:

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabeach1 View Post
so barley is a leaves of hops? or barley is a different plant? and blend with hops? I need that to be cleared thanks..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #12
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4946 Times on 4515 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Daniels, Designing Great Beers

Noonan, New Brewing Lager Beer

Both are technical and thorough to all aspects of brewing and both are a little out dated.

The most current book you will find is teh "Palmer/Zaineychef"

Old 08-13-2008, 11:23 PM   #13
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I absolutely love Radical Brewing. I flew through it and after I finished it, its still the book I pick up the most. Anytime I need some inspiration, I pick up Radical Brewing and flip through it for a few minutes.... It doesn't take long before I have my next beer picked out. I've never actually brewed any of the recipes.... come to think of it, I haven't brewed the recipes in any of my books... but the book is great.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:25 PM   #14
shertz
Recipes 

On a related note, can anyone recommend a book geared more to the science of brewing. I saw some text books on Amazon, but don't want to spend $200. Anyone read Brewing by Michael Lewis? It seems pretty technical and much cheaper at $47.

I'm surprised there aren't more DIY books for brewing, unless I just didn't see them. Also, it seems like a lot of the material is a little out of date.

Have Brewing Like a Monk and Radical Brewing on the way. Can't wait to read them.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:38 PM   #15
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

Brew Chem 101 is pretty good.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 08-14-2008, 12:10 AM   #16
cmcarpenter
Recipes 

Default good books

I am kinda new to breing and I have found "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" and "The Homebrewers Companion" by Charlie Papazian bot very helpfull I also own "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels and its great too.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:24 AM   #17
philhead1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

cool thanks guys, looks like I have a few books to look into, and yes I know once I buy one I'll have another right behind it. not sure If I'm ready to try my own recipe since my 2nd brew is only in primary now but hope to by the early part of 09. thanks

Old 08-15-2008, 05:35 AM   #18
yermej
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shertz View Post
On a related note, can anyone recommend a book geared more to the science of brewing. I saw some text books on Amazon, but don't want to spend $200. Anyone read Brewing by Michael Lewis? It seems pretty technical and much cheaper at $47.
That's sort of what I'm looking for. From reviews I've read (haven't gotten any of the books yet), Brew Chem 101 is good if you don't have a strong chemistry background.

If you have the chem background or don't mind doing the extra research, George Fix's Principles of Brewing Science seems to be recommended and is only $20.

The classic in-depth text seems to be De Clerck's A Textbook of Brewing (in two volumes). It was first published in English in '57, but seems to still be well regarded for the basics of brewing science. If you go for this one, get it directly from The Siebel Institute of Technology (the publisher) as most places sell the two volumes for $75 each ($150 total) while the institute sells both for $95 total (or so it seems).

As I mentioned, I've been looking for a nerdy beer book (McGee's On Food and Cooking is one of my favorite food books), but haven't read any of these yet, only reviews. I could be completely wrong.

Quick Reply