Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Looking to brew something out of my comfort zone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #11
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1926 Times on 1694 Posts
Likes Given: 1428

I & nordeastbrewer77 were fooling around with the old victorian #3 Burton ale. His AG,mine extract-but both firmly set in the strong ale category. A bit sweet,& somewhat hoppy. Mine needed more for the longer aging. Although I think I aged it too long. Anyway,they're sorta like taking a barleywine (Burton#1),& scaling it down to a slightly sweet pale ale sort of thing. Although more like the color of a rusty bitter. I'm pretty sure we both have our recipes listed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #12
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have brewed some gruits (check out www.gruitale.com to get a start). Reading up on and finding all the different herbs was kind of an adventure. I definitely tend toward the "F*c! the Rheinheitsgebot!" school of brewing, so what I did early on in my exploration of the craft was seek out sources of good ideas -- here, other brewing boards, books such as Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing (probably the best book on the vast spectrum that can still be tied together loosely as 'brewing beer').

I did my fair share of brewing big beers, but like others, I have found that brewing the really flavorful session ale that can be turned around in 2-3 weeks is really satisfying too. Notwithstanding though, I like brewing big stuff that has to age too, and I like my vanilla oak bourbon porters, my smoked hoppy ales with corriander, my quest to brew a tasty bacon oatmeal stout. There's no shortage of ideas out there...give some a try, don't be afraid to fail, and remember, it's just beer...

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 08-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #13
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3177 Times on 1984 Posts
Likes Given: 2698

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budzien View Post
I normally drink what I brew. I haven't ever brewed the same thing twice, with two exceptions; an awesome porter and (my favorite) a Belgian Dubbel. Otherwise, I drink everything. I like the idea of a sour beer, I've never had one. I'm, also, thinking about trying a lambic. As soon as I can lager, a whole new world will open up to me and I'm really looking forward to that. I've brewed over 20 AG batches and am having a blast!
If you haven't brewed lagers or sours, then I guess your path is pretty obvious. Lagers take some reliable temp control. If you have that, make an octoberfest and get ready for the season. In october you'll be ready to start comparing against the commercial ones.

If you can't do lagers, a sour beer is very easy to make. Follow the Flanders Red recipe in Brewing Classic Styles. Use the Roeselare blend for yeast. Stick it in a cabinet somewhere and forget about it (maybe add tart cherries or oak later, but not necessary). Easy peezy.

Quick Reply