Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Look out, Miller Lite is now triple hopped.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2009, 08:00 PM   #21
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdnoona View Post
I'm glad to see someone beat me to the punch in bringing this up here. This marketing campaign is so ridiculous. It pisses me off everytime I hear one of their commercials. I used to like beer commercials, but that was before they assumed I was an idiot.

They'd sell so much more beer and retain their integrity if they went back to the bikini clad women cat fighting in the water fountain.
They went from 'don't fruit your beer' to lime beer in less than a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #22
bdnoona
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
They went from 'don't fruit your beer' to lime beer in less than a year.
That may be, but when there were bikini babes selling their beer instead of insults, I at least enjoyed their commercials.

Fermenting, aging, kegged, bottled, drinking, etc... Who's got time to keep their sig updated?
The answer to all is: something (hopefully good).

Go White Sox! http://www.sox35th.com/

Old 02-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #23
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus View Post
Like I sad then, you've got to give them credit. Craft beer is chewing up their sales more and more each year, so they need to start spending their millions making it sound like their beers have some of the same qualities.
Or spending their millions just to make sure that people know they aren't drinking water or soda. I always loved Bud's slogan of "Budweiser, this is beer." You don't see commercials stating, "Oscar Meyer, these are hot dogs."

EDIT: I found this linky with some slogan funz in it.
http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/9938...e/arch128.html

Last edited by fezzman; 02-25-2009 at 09:28 PM.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:41 AM   #24
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My 120minute IPA was is 41 hopped...

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-27-2009, 03:16 AM   #25
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just saw this commerical... It's way better than the new MickeyD's Filet of Fish commercial...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 02-27-2009, 11:07 AM   #26
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Stand back folks, I'm going to try Science!

According to my digital-multiscale-torque wrench/hopometer, it turns out Miller Light contains exactly 3 times as much hops as (and has 3 times the IBUs of) water.

So that's what they mean!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #27
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1932 Times on 1398 Posts
Likes Given: 1055

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus View Post
This ad doesn't tick me off as much as those ads that AB was running last year though. I nearly went into a rampage everytime I was one of those ads stating that dark beers hid imperfections and off flavors.
But isn't this what we say when anyone asked about us making BMC beers? It's hard because that style doesn't allow you to hide any off-flavors? SO it's more difficult to brew?

Well, I don't prefer Lite anything to real beer, but I must say that I would probably drink miller lite more now because it has 3X the hops. At least I know I'm getting my money's worth.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #28
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
But isn't this what we say when anyone asked about us making BMC beers? It's hard because that style doesn't allow you to hide any off-flavors? SO it's more difficult to brew?

Well, I don't prefer Lite anything to real beer, but I must say that I would probably drink miller lite more now because it has 3X the hops. At least I know I'm getting my money's worth.
It's harder for *us* to brew them simply because of the additional requipment required (temperature control). In their commercials, AB seems to be attempting to convey the message that darker beers are all inferior. That certainly is not the case.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #29
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post

And as far as I've been able to tell, they haven't changed their recipe substantially. It seems much more likely that they simply add a tiny bit of hops in the last 15, 10, and 5 minutes of the boil. Hey, 3X hop additions! Woohoo, now we'll attract some IPA fans!

Misguided marketing at it's best.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #30
wreckinball9
Recipes 

yeah this commercial pisses me off wicked bad too. i figured there must be a thread about it, so im glad there is.

at least with Bud Light's "drinkability" campaign they more or less are admitting the stuff is similar to water making it easy to drink a lot of.

but dont BS me with saying Miller Lite has any sort of hop characteristics. (or that American Ale is "dry hopped for a full body") ,

makes me so angry i could punch a baby

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Quick Reply