Look out, Miller Lite is now triple hopped.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
Has anyone else seen this commercial yet? I saw it last night and it gave me a good laugh. Miller Lite is now touting that they add hops 3 times during the brewing process instead of adding them all at once like others.

The last time I had a Miller Lite I certainly don't remember any hop flavor or aroma, so maybe they add 1 oz/bbl at 60, 59 and 58 minutes. :D

I did a quick search but I can't find it anywhere to link here.

Saw this as well. They even tout this on their interzwebz page.

av_bg.jpg

I saw this and wanted to post it here just so people could see how phony it was.

The sky is the limit in marketing when your customers are so dumb about the product. ;)

On the upside...it's apparent that BMC producers recognize the growing popularity of hop oriented beers (even thought they don't produce them).

At the very least, it exposes beer ignoramuses to a key ingredient used in brewing that they might have been oblivious to previously.

On the upside...it's apparent that BMC producers recognize the growing popularity of hop oriented beers (even thought they don't produce them).

At the very least, it exposes beer ignoramuses to a key ingredient used in brewing that they might have been oblivious to previously.

True, but a multi-billion dollar brewery touting hops in a sub 10 IBU beer (from what I can find on the intergoogle anyway) also gives the beer ignoramuses the wrong impression of what hops are used for, what they taste like and what they smell like.

It doesn't say it's "triple hopped" it says "triple hopS" - which sounds to me like they just use 3 varieties in their minimally existant quantities.

The last time I had a Miller Lite I certainly don't remember any hop flavor or aroma, so maybe they add 1 oz/bbl at 60, 59 and 58 minutes.

Craft and home beer have rendered me totally unabale to smell any hop aroma in any light BMC.... :eek:

It doesn't say it's "triple hopped" it says "triple hopS" - which sounds to me like they just use 3 varieties in their minimally existant quantities.

But they follow it with 'added 3 times, not just once ' to make it sound 3x better. :rolleyes:

Why would you brew in any quantity and not want good hop utilization? :confused:

Purely a misleading commercial. :(

In the TV commercial they explicity state that they add hops 3 times in the brewing process rather than just once.

I'm going to brew a beer and add hops 600 times. 1/2 of a pellet every 6 seconds. Man that would be awesome :rolleyes:

I think the going rate is 1 pounds of hops per 1600 cans. That's about 1/2 oz. per 5 gallons. I remember Samuel Adams bragging about using a whole pound per barrel.

True, but a multi-billion dollar brewery touting hops in a sub 10 IBU beer (from what I can find on the intergoogle anyway) also gives the beer ignoramuses the wrong impression of what hops are used for, what they taste like and what they smell like.

+1.

Just a matter of time before Sam Adams picks up on the message and throws it back in their face with a commercial of their own.

If only Stone Brewery were a mass producing, advertising giant.

Looks like the "Triple Hops Brewed" is a registered TM for Miller/Coors now... there's something dangling behind the words on the image....

Ugh.

It was my understanding that they use a hop extract anyway. I guess then they must use an eye dropper and drop "three times" into the boil.

I'm glad to see someone beat me to the punch in bringing this up here. This marketing campaign is so ridiculous. It pisses me off everytime I hear one of their commercials. I used to like beer commercials, but that was before they assumed I was an idiot.

They'd sell so much more beer and retain their integrity if they went back to the bikini clad women cat fighting in the water fountain.

This ad doesn't tick me off as much as those ads that AB was running last year though. I nearly went into a rampage everytime I was one of those ads stating that dark beers hid imperfections and off flavors.

Like I sad then, you've got to give them credit. Craft beer is chewing up their sales more and more each year, so they need to start spending their millions making it sound like their beers have some of the same qualities. Most people who aren't homebrewers or beer afficianados won't know the difference.

I'm glad to see someone beat me to the punch in bringing this up here. This marketing campaign is so ridiculous. It pisses me off everytime I hear one of their commercials. I used to like beer commercials, but that was before they assumed I was an idiot.

They'd sell so much more beer and retain their integrity if they went back to the bikini clad women cat fighting in the water fountain.

They went from 'don't fruit your beer' to lime beer in less than a year. :(

Like I sad then, you've got to give them credit. Craft beer is chewing up their sales more and more each year, so they need to start spending their millions making it sound like their beers have some of the same qualities.

Or spending their millions just to make sure that people know they aren't drinking water or soda. I always loved Bud's slogan of "Budweiser, this is beer." You don't see commercials stating, "Oscar Meyer, these are hot dogs." :p

EDIT: I found this linky with some slogan funz in it.
http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/9938/archive/arch128.html

Stand back folks, I'm going to try Science!

According to my digital-multiscale-torque wrench/hopometer, it turns out Miller Light contains exactly 3 times as much hops as (and has 3 times the IBUs of) water.

So that's what they mean!

This ad doesn't tick me off as much as those ads that AB was running last year though. I nearly went into a rampage everytime I was one of those ads stating that dark beers hid imperfections and off flavors.

But isn't this what we say when anyone asked about us making BMC beers? It's hard because that style doesn't allow you to hide any off-flavors? SO it's more difficult to brew?

Well, I don't prefer Lite anything to real beer, but I must say that I would probably drink miller lite more now because it has 3X the hops. At least I know I'm getting my money's worth.

But isn't this what we say when anyone asked about us making BMC beers? It's hard because that style doesn't allow you to hide any off-flavors? SO it's more difficult to brew?

Well, I don't prefer Lite anything to real beer, but I must say that I would probably drink miller lite more now because it has 3X the hops. At least I know I'm getting my money's worth.

It's harder for *us* to brew them simply because of the additional requipment required (temperature control). In their commercials, AB seems to be attempting to convey the message that darker beers are all inferior. That certainly is not the case.

And as far as I've been able to tell, they haven't changed their recipe substantially. It seems much more likely that they simply add a tiny bit of hops in the last 15, 10, and 5 minutes of the boil. Hey, 3X hop additions! Woohoo, now we'll attract some IPA fans!

Misguided marketing at it's best.

yeah this commercial pisses me off wicked bad too. i figured there must be a thread about it, so im glad there is.

at least with Bud Light's "drinkability" campaign they more or less are admitting the stuff is similar to water making it easy to drink a lot of.

but dont BS me with saying Miller Lite has any sort of hop characteristics. (or that American Ale is "dry hopped for a full body") ,

makes me so angry i could punch a baby

Stand back folks, I'm going to try Science!

According to my digital-multiscale-torque wrench/hopometer, it turns out Miller Light contains exactly 3 times as much hops as (and has 3 times the IBUs of) water.

So that's what they mean!

is that a left handed or right handed digital-multiscale-torque wrench/hopometer because that is going to make a difference on your reading?

Wow, that is probably my all time most hated beer. I'll drink just about anything over a miller lite.

That's a bold statement. You'd rather drink a bud, natural ice, beast of any type or the worst of all Jacobs Best

I honestly don't mind Miller Lite. I'd rather have that than coors or bud that's for sure.

I just remember the "No more bitter beer face" comercials of the late 80's early 90's. Think about how much that would get killed around here now.

That's a bold statement. You'd rather drink a bud, natural ice, beast of any type or the worst of all Jacobs Best

I honestly don't mind Miller Lite. I'd rather have that than coors or bud that's for sure.

I agree with Big10. I'll drink anything over Bud, Miller Lite, or Coors. In my fridge next to the Avery, Great Divide, SA Bigfoot, Franziskaner, and Leinenkugel's, I have Colt 45, Milwaukee's Best Ice, and Keystone Ice.

I guess I'm a minority in preferring crappy adjunct brew over flavorless brew. At least there is some sort of 'flavor' in those cans. :drunk::cross: Money is tight these days so I tend to have a good beer or two followed with the cheap stuffs.

First, ML's 3x hops means that someone walked a wheel barrow of hops through the bottling room three times (they were lost).

Second, :off: I work in a homebrew shop (dream job!!!). Today someone came in to learn about geting started, asking "Do you have any kits for dark beer?"

I pointed out some partial mash kits for stouts and a porter that I'm pretty fond of, when he continued, "I don't want anything heavy like Guinness, but like Budweiser's American Ale." I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cringe...

Unfortunately this is a pretty regular occurance, someone wanting to make BMCs. We usually point out the liquor store down the street.

First, ML's 3x hops means that someone walked a wheel barrow of hops through the bottling room three times (they were lost).

Second, :off: I work in a homebrew shop (dream job!!!). Today someone came in to learn about geting started, asking "Do you have any kits for dark beer?"

I pointed out some partial mash kits for stouts and a porter that I'm pretty fond of, when he continued, "I don't want anything heavy like Guinness, but like Budweiser's American Ale." I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cringe...

Unfortunately this is a pretty regular occurance, someone wanting to make BMCs. We usually point out the liquor store down the street.

Reminds me of a recent trip to a country bar (wifey likes to line dance). Waitress asked what I want and I took a stab for a Sam Adams. She replied, "The only DARK beer we have is Heineken, Landshark, Amstel Light, and Guinness." At least she got the color of one correct. :rolleyes:

Column I wrote on the topic. Apologies in advance for errors...wrote this very quickly in wordpad.

Miller Lite contains corn syrup; Miller-Coors, morons

Industrial beer company Miller-Coors recently began an ad campaign in support of it's Miller Lite brand emphasising that they "triple hops" their beer during the brewing process to give it that 'big pilsner flavor'. While, as a craft beer lover, I am happy to see that a giant at least mentioned the name of the greatest of all flowers in a TV ad, I can't help but laugh every time this graces my screen.
"Triple Hops"...does this mean three varieties, or hops added at three times during the process? I guarantee this doesn't mean dry hopping...cause thats just too ****in' complicated for the good time boys down at Miller-Coors. I looked on their page to see what variety of hops they use, but found no descriptor other than that their hops are the "choicest". I'm sure they are. I really am. However, I think that adding 4 cones to each batch of beer negates that fact...
Come one guys...If you're going to talk about hops, give me something to work with. I'll go out on a limb and assume noble hops (used for aromatic purposes), because god forbid a macro would EVER use bittering hops.
This hop talk is getting away from a really under-reported fact about this giant: Miller Lite contains corn syrup. And here I thought we were trying to make a respectable beer when we used the world "Pilsner" on TV, but nope, it's soda pop. At this point, I'd say "case closed", but theres more...really.
If you know anything about brewing, a Pilsner isn't supposed to have "big" flavor. It is supposed to have alot of hop definition, but very little malt body as compared to the Ale conterpart, the Pale Ale. (Not that a pilsner is nessecarily more hoppy than the vastly superior [in my opinion] Pale Ale) They contain only Pilsner malts raised for the purpose of a lighter, crisper, gold beer. Pilsners, but definition, are not big. This is, of course, a nitpicking point when compared with the rest of the ad and the fact that fructose is involved.
On the website for this 'brew', the company talks about the three steps. Steps in brewing? Steps in tasting? Who knows. This vagueness is cleverly veiled by snazzy flash graphics.
Maybe they are referring to the ABC's of beer tasting talked about my the Boston Beer Company? (Amount of flavor, Balance of flavor, Complexity of flavor)
Nope.
"STEP ONE! With your first sip, our hop flavor will take your taste buds to happy town."
I can only respond to this by saying you guys are lying. Moving on.
"The SECOND STEP! Hops are added for balance, ensuring perfect body and hop taste in every beer. And we know how much you appreciate a good body."
Wink wink.
Wait! I thought the hops were added for flavor...but now they're being added for body? This makes no sense and I only assume you're just intentionally lying to your consumers because as brewers you must know that HOPS DO NOT CONTRIBUTE TO BODY. Malt contributes to body. If you're going for body, you are not looking for a Pilsner because Pilsner malt is designed to be lighter feeling and tasting. Yet, inspite of this ridiculous claim, the keg standers of America rally behind this and pretend like they know about hops. Also...props to the Miller-Coors boys for that sexual reference. Hehehe...we get it...good body...it's a pun. I'm going to go m*******e in my tears.
THIRD STEP! The hops apparently "add to Miller Lite's perfect head and lock in it's great taste from start to finish." Also, they add, you get a sweet beer mustache. I guess this is possible if you pour down the center of the glass and then chug. Otherwise the head is gone in about a second and a half. You can blame the adjunct corn syrup for this. Again...these guys really are in the wrong style here. Pilsner isn't designed to have head. Head comes from the type of malt used and pilsner malt does not produce head. Hops have little affect on head, though head does help release the aroma of the hops into the air.
The only conclusion I can reach is that the boys at Miller-Coors know absoultely nothing about beer.

Latest posts

Back