Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Long night of bottling ahead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
1stTimer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Long night of bottling ahead

This is just me getting something off my chest. Due to a babysitter canceling on me yesterday I now have a night of bottling 100 brew ahead. When i get home a little after 5 I will have to get all 100 bottles sanitized first. This means boiling most of them. Usually I just go with the star sanz but some of the bottle I’m using this time has been sitting in my garage for two year. Rinsed several times as soon as I poured them. But sitting around for 2 years can’t be good for them.

Then after all that non sense I will get to bottling. I have to do this tonight so I will have another empty carboy for the brew I am making on Wednesday. I have to make it on Wednesday because I have some friends coming up shortly to do a tasting of this brew for a special day coming up. Don’t get me wrong, this is a great problem to have. I just hate bottling and I don’t have the funds for kegging yet. Oh well. Music and homebrew will get me through it. And coffee and more coffee will get me through tomorrow. CHEERS!

Secondary: Black RyePA, Sour
Currently in Bottles: Zaporter part deux, Black Betty Oaked Bourbon Porter
Currently in Kegs: Donkey Milk Stout, Galaxy IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I got three batches bottled this weekend, 2 on Saturday night and 1 first thing when I woke up on Sunday morning. Not the funnest part of brewing, just crank some good music, and having a helping hand is always a great thing. My dad helps sanitize and cap the bottles while I fill them, so bottling isn't nearly half as bad as it used to be.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
1stTimer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think I am going to have to draft SWMBO on this one. Its my first 10 gallon batch. I am not a fan of bottling 5 gallons so I know I am going to be burned out. But she is working tomorrow. Its more a question of whether or not the 10 month old will give her enough of a break.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
tojo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Sell something, anything, and get yourself a kegging system!!!!!

It's all good times either way though.

I love a good train wreck!!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
mewithstewpid
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 164

vinerator and bottle tree will help immensely

Old 01-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Dude, if they're clean you don't need to boil them just because they've been sitting around for 2 years....It's GLASS. Just give them a rinse and sanitize like you normally would.

You don't need to make this harder that you need to.

If you really feel you need to do something "special" which you really don't, stop at the LHBS and get yourself a jet bottle rinser,

If you have a basement sink, crank it to hot and blast them with the jet. Then "hit it with starsan."

You don't need to boil....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo View Post
Sell something, anything, and get yourself a kegging system!!!!!
Why? Not everyone kegs, nor does everyone choose to keg. And nor do folks who are talking about bottling usually appreciate the "keg" comment every freaking time we're talking about bottling. Most folks by now, know kegs exist, so we don't need to have someone "help" us by talking about them, contrary to what you might think, the word "keg" is usually not the answer to a bottling question.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 762

Try larger bottles...I know, I know, you mentioned a limited budget...but I use 16oz flip-top bottles and while bottling still isn't the highlight of my brew process, its lightning fast.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Why? Not everyone kegs, nor does everyone choose to keg. And nor do folks who are talking about bottling usually appreciate the "keg" comment every freaking time we're talking about bottling. Most folks by now, know kegs exist, so we don't need to have someone "help" us by talking about them, contrary to what you might think, the word "keg" is usually not the answer to a bottling question.....
Yes! Amen... I tried kegging, and disliked it.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
1stTimer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Ive actually got a good number of empty "bombers" I will be using. So that should knock the number down some. I appreciate everyones comments. Kegging is certainly not an option at the moment. Im dropping all my money into building my single tier system. I am gonig to try it eventually, just not anytime soon.

I know I most likely dont need to boil them but I get all spooked when its a bottle thats this old. And I may end of giving in and not doing it. its just nice to know that there is nothing to worry about. Maybe I can just fill the sink with a starsan mix and submerged them in it. Again, thanks for the feedback from everyone.

Quick Reply