The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > locking out my tap ?..any ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2006, 01:31 PM   #11
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I think so, I'd buy a good one. Better not to screw around with this. I'm sure I'm not the only parent who cringed when reading this, my girl's not even two but I know she'll do some stupid stuff before all is said and done (unless she's a lot more like her mom than her dad). Still need to have "The Talk," I'm sure you've already had that with her, she clearly doesn't or didn't know how to handle drinking. Just be glad she didn't end up poisoning herself.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2006, 02:30 PM   #12
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrand65
ok it's a kegerator,i'm a single parent,i live about 3 miles from any house in the country and i work second shift...i was just wondering if anyone had made something that worked...guess i'll have to buy one..
Did you read my suggestion? It is a very low cost option.

Put a nylon ball valve (they are very cheap) in the beer line between the keg and the tap *inside* the kegerator. Buy a hasp lock hinge like this one and affix it to the door. (You can get them for less cost at a hardware store.) Lock with a pad lock. The screws are not accessible while it is locked, so she can't just unscrew it to take it off.

When you are home and plan to enjoy a few brews, unlock the box, open the ball value, and you're in business. When you're done, close the ball value, lock the kegerator, and your protection mechanism is in place.

Anything, even a fancy expensive keg lock, can be defeated by someone with ample time and desire to do so. Any solution you come up with needs to be coupled with sound parenting strategies for dealing with the core issues, but I'm sure you know that.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:34 PM   #13
seyahmit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaLTy
I bet that how she will feel for the next day will be a good reminder for her.
I wish I had a dollar everytime I swore off drinking the next day.

Seriously though, I hope you find a good solution to your problem. I'm lucky my little one is only three months old. I still have a few years before I have to worry about that.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:53 PM   #14
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer4breakfast
Put a nylon ball valve (they are very cheap) in the beer line between the keg and the tap *inside* the kegerator. Buy a hasp lock hinge like this one and affix it to the door. (You can get them for less cost at a hardware store.) Lock with a pad lock. The screws are not accessible while it is locked, so she can't just unscrew it to take it off.
This is a good, simple, and inexpensive plan that I would invoke if I ever found my 17 year old daughter passed out in front of the tripple tapper.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:59 PM   #15
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I keep mine in the basement , with the faucets just out of reach of my two and four year old. LOL!

Beer4breakfast's solution coupled with some sound parenting strategies may keep things in check. Respect beer.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:22 PM   #16
Porter fan
Recipes 

[

Seriously though, I hope you find a good solution to your problem. I'm lucky my little one is only three months old. I still have a few years before I have to worry about that.[/quote]

Time passes very fast seems like just yesterday my son was that age he will be 22 in a month! We each had a pint of chocolate Porter last night working on his car now he want to start HBing...

Old 10-18-2006, 03:03 AM   #17
Carne de Perro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

(kinda)
This thread really hits home to me even though my girl's only 5. My daughter calls herself my "helper" during brew day. (I have to shoo her out of the kitchen when it comes time for transfering wort though.) She's seen me drink beer, but shows zero interest in trying it (no real suprise there) and even says that hops "stink". On one hand I want to lock everything up to ensure something like this never happens and on the other hand... My parents were pretty open about alcohol, left the cabinet open, always had enough beer in the fridge that they'd never miss it. I distinctly remember my dad saying that if I ever wanted to get drunk all I had to do was let him know, but that he would get me drunk enough that I would remember the experience. I never really drank all that much growing up; first time (and only time) I got drunk was at the age of 23. Sometimes I wonder if the openess and relaxed attitude my parents showed took away the forbidden "thrill" and led to my general disintrest in getting wasted. Now, of course, I'm older. I love homebrewing, beer, and everything related to them. So what do you folks think is the right attitude to have concerning this sort of thing? I don't mean to hijack a thread, but Barney Fife always did advocate bud nipping...

Old 10-18-2006, 07:41 PM   #18
mbreen01
Recipes 

First off, I think that it must have been too long since some of you were teenagers...what you make taboo is exactly what becomes coveted. By avoiding true education you force your child to go elsewhere...
What concerns me about your story is not that your daughter was drinking your beer; hell, I did the exact same thing. But the concerning point is that she showed no limits on her intake. Would you rather get a call from a police officer that your daughter was found passed out in the bushes of a friends house? This is a wake up call alright, but not that you merely need to lock up your alcohol. This case calls for good parenting...which is sometimes difficult. I don't profess to know how you should approach this issue. But I adamantly believe that only locking up the kegerator is only a bandaid. Just because kids are misguided doesn't mean that they are bad overall...they just need more attention.
Limits are the important thing here. Legal limits, personal drinking limits, limits to drive under the influence...these are all important LIFE lessons and this is a perfect opportunity to make a huge difference in your child's life.
There is no right answer to this issue. Good parenting is being a guide through this special time in every person's development.

Marc.

On tap & enjoying: Honey Wheat; Cheese's Caramel Cream Ale
Gone with a belch: Bock Talkit; Three Kings Better Bitter; Quake & Bake Oatmeal Stout; High Altitude Pale Ale
On deck: Garbage Pale Ale; Honey Wheat

Old 10-18-2006, 07:57 PM   #19
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carne de Perro
So what do you folks think is the right attitude to have concerning this sort of thing? I don't mean to hijack a thread, but Barney Fife always did advocate bud nipping...
It depends on the kid, but I plan on being pretty open and European about drinking, but you HAVE to keep a close eye on the situation. Having two daughters, I don't want their first experiences with drinking to be with some pimple-faced douche bag that's trying to take advantage of the situation

Old 10-18-2006, 08:02 PM   #20
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreen01
First off, I think that it must have been too long since some of you were teenagers...what you make taboo is exactly what becomes coveted. By avoiding true education you force your child to go elsewhere...
What concerns me about your story is not that your daughter was drinking your beer; hell, I did the exact same thing. But the concerning point is that she showed no limits on her intake. Would you rather get a call from a police officer that your daughter was found passed out in the bushes of a friends house? This is a wake up call alright, but not that you merely need to lock up your alcohol. This case calls for good parenting...which is sometimes difficult. I don't profess to know how you should approach this issue. But I adamantly believe that only locking up the kegerator is only a bandaid. Just because kids are misguided doesn't mean that they are bad overall...they just need more attention.
Limits are the important thing here. Legal limits, personal drinking limits, limits to drive under the influence...these are all important LIFE lessons and this is a perfect opportunity to make a huge difference in your child's life.
There is no right answer to this issue. Good parenting is being a guide through this special time in every person's development.

Marc.
Marc - you may know him better by his real identity...

Quick Reply