Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > locking out my tap ?..any ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2006, 05:32 AM   #1
revrand65
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default locking out my tap ?..any ideas

Well it's finally happened.the other night i got home from work to find my 16 year old daughter..passed out naked on the bathroom floor in a pool of vomit!!seems she had figured out how to connect the lines on my kegs and enjoy the fruits of my labor..and before she has some of her friends come over and get bombed and go out and kill their self or someone else..i need to get this thing locked up...iv'e found some tap locks online but them things are $40..seems to me a person could make something by himself a hell of a lot cheaper...anyone got any ideas on this one? i'm sure i'm not the only one that has dealt with this issue...thanks to all who reply...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2006, 05:46 AM   #2
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

Aside from the tap locks, I'm curious as to anyone elses solution also. I only have a 2 year old, but that day is coming...

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 10-17-2006, 05:57 AM   #3
MrSaLTy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

You may want to try a search as you are not the first to have this problem. I bet that how she will feel for the next day will be a good reminder for her. That being said, if you feel that it will be an issue in the future, 40 bux isn't too much to spent for some piece of mind. I imagine that the people who sell them figure most parents think that and take advantage of it.

SECONDARY#1: Air
SECONDARY#2: Air
On Tap: Air
Keg Conditioning: Air
Bottle stock:
Next Up: dunno yet
--------------------
My Homebrew Stirplate
My eHERMS and home brewery build

Old 10-17-2006, 05:58 AM   #4
Mike-H

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Couldnt you put a U bolt on the top of the freezer and a U Bolt on the bottom and attach a padlock? Of course you'd have to disconnect the coupler's, but, it should be inpenatrable. Also, you can try "tricky" things like putting penny's on the tap handle. When they fall off, you know someone's tried using it. Chances are though, after tonight she will not be too excited to pour a draft. Sorry to hear about that though!

Old 10-17-2006, 06:01 AM   #5
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Just locking the taps won't stop a resourceful teenager. It's pretty easy just to open the top of a corny and pour out the contents. I'd disconnect the keg lines and lock the whole fridge up.

Alternatively, start using and abusing her prized possessions...cuz that's what she did to your beloved homebrew. Ok, maybe not.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:02 AM   #6
Mike-H

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

My keg system sits on an unlocked porch. I dont have any kids, but i sometimes worry about the neighborhood kids getting in so I am interested in this too, to a point.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:16 AM   #7
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What is your setup, can you please clarify? Are your cornies all inside of a fridge or chest freezer or small kegerator? Do you have other cornies conditioning with beer outside the fridge or kegerator?

For anything outside the fridge/kegerator, keep it where she can't get to it while it is conditioning. Neighbor or relatives house (as long as they don't have kids who might be inclined to do what your daughter did), a locked room or cabinet or closet, etc., as long as it is really secure.

For the kegerator, I agree with MIke-H, you should be able to use padlocks on the door to keep her from getting inside of it. Put an inline ball valve (e.g., a small cheap plastic one) on each beer line inside the kegerator to cut off the supply to the tap from the inside.

I don't have a kegging setup, but it seems like that would work.

Last edited by disaffected; 10-17-2006 at 06:22 AM.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:49 AM   #8
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

beatings, a hards day work on a hang over, and a real greasy breakfast lunch and dinner durring the hang over . . . yes my parents were sadistic bastards

Old 10-17-2006, 08:51 AM   #9
Rethin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrand65
Well it's finally happened.the other night i got home from work to find my 16 year old daughter..passed out naked on the bathroom floor in a pool of vomit!!seems she had figured out how to connect the lines on my kegs and enjoy the fruits of my labor..and before she has some of her friends come over and get bombed and go out and kill their self or someone else..i need to get this thing locked up...iv'e found some tap locks online but them things are $40..seems to me a person could make something by himself a hell of a lot cheaper...anyone got any ideas on this one? i'm sure i'm not the only one that has dealt with this issue...thanks to all who reply...

I'm sorry, but I just got to ask.
Why was she naked?

I did a lot of stupid drinking in my youth (and not so youth) but I've never ended up passed out naked.

On a more serious note.
I don't think a lock is the answer here. Kids can get alchohol just about anywhere. Lock out your taps and she'll just find another source.

Sounds to me like you need to teach her some responsible drinking. Maybe 16 is a little young, but if she's already drinking on her own there's not much you can do to stop her.

PS
The wife wants kids. I told her only if she can promise me they won't become teenagers.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:22 PM   #10
revrand65
Recipes 

ok it's a kegerator,i'm a single parent,i live about 3 miles from any house in the country and i work second shift...i was just wondering if anyone had made something that worked...guess i'll have to buy one..

Quick Reply