Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Location, Location, Location???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 03:21 AM   #1
cank
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Location, Location, Location???

I need some opinions:
I am just getting into brewing and will start my first batch this weekend. Scored the free starter kit from Northern Brewer on Cyber Monday and I am getting everything ready. After reading several books and lurking on the forums I am ready to ask my first question.

I have two locations to choose from to set up my brewing (not the first batch, but while it's fermenting)

In the back of my garage I have a 10'x11' room full of tools and storage crap. It does not have water or a drain but it is heated and cooled.

In my backyard I have a 16'x17' greenhouse. It needs some cleanup, a few new windows, and a new roof. It has a Natural Gas line run to a heater but I think it's clogged. I have three 20amp lines that I can run to it easily and water is just feet away. And of course, I would call it the "BrewHouse"

I live in Arkansas, where it gets 100+ in the summer (for about a month) with high humidity and 20's in the winter (month or two).

If you had a choice, where would you brew?

I plan on fermenting either inside or in a converted fridge. I want to move to all grain after the first few batches.

img_2428.jpg   img_2430.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 03:26 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I'm partial to green houses....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-03-2012, 03:48 AM   #3
KNOTSANE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I'd opt for the indoor room. Seems you may be able to control your temps a little better in there.

"She occasionally visits the waxer and comes home looking all... inviting. But for the most part, her muff looks like she's got Macy Gray in a leglock..."-- ubermick

Old 12-03-2012, 04:07 AM   #4
rcbishop
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The greenhouse also looks like it would be easier with respect to ventilation. This is important if you're going to be using propane. There's also a lot of steam produced during the boil, which you will want to deal with somehow.

However, all those things could technically be fixed in the garage room, and then you'd get to brew someplace air conditioned. The greenhouse seems like it would get really hot if you were brewing in there during the summer!

Old 12-03-2012, 04:18 AM   #5
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 964 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

If you don't think you'd have a problem with people breaking in once they know your brewing in it, I'd probably go with the greenhouse.

It looks like it would be an easy hosing off when you spill something in the greenhouse. If the gas line works that would be awesome for a later setup for doing your boils. It also looks like you have a bit more space in there.

Basically, I think you've got the potential for a much nicer setup in the greenhouse. Though it will probably take more work to make it fully functional. Remember, temporary solutions tend not to be.

Happy brewing.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
cank
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I have been leaning towards the greenhouse but was wondering about the freezing temps and the equipment. Would it be too risky to ferment out there too in a converted freezer? If I brewed outside I could always ferment inside in the garage room where ambient temps are more controlled.

I thought about using the NG to brew with but I am starting to lean towards an electric setup. Partly because my father-in-law is an electrician and I can get a lot of things at cost and he can also help with the wiring.

I hadn't thought about the steam generated, and yes the greenhouse would be better for that. We have never used it, except for storage during a remodel, and I thought it would be nice to be able to use it for something other than that. When I started thinking of brewing it hit me- "wow, that would be awesome to brew in there". I just want to make sure I am not setting myself up to fail if my equipment is out there all the time. I might just have to plan my brewing days so they are not in the sweltering heat or in the dead of winter.

Quick Reply