*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Local Pub - Brew On Tap Doesn't Taste Right

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 05:43 AM   #11
bwomp313
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If it's a rare thing then yes of course you should tell them and help them improve. However, if it's constant like you say then they dug their own grave. Survival of the fittest. If they're not cleaning their lines, what else are they skimping on?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwomp313 View Post
If it's a rare thing then yes of course you should tell them and help them improve. However, if it's constant like you say then they dug their own grave. Survival of the fittest. If they're not cleaning their lines, what else are they skimping on?
I've had a few beers like this over the years...and I agree it's almost certainly dirty lines, and I agree with the post quoted above. The last part, in particular, is telling. The overall approach to their business is likely sloppy.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #13
barneygumble
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Considering the place the OP frequents isn't really a brew pub, but sells mostly BMC and other major brewers, and since its their corner walk to, I would probably mention it to the manager. They may be unaware of the need for regular line cleaning. Its worth a shot to keep the walk to pub on the list of go to pubs.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:11 AM   #14
jeffdill
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We have a bar here that has 50+ beers on tap, always great. I got 3 Floyd's Alpha King once and it tasted way sour and tart (I had it at 3 Floyds' brewpub the weekend prior so the taste was fresh on my mind). I notified the bartender, and she agreed with me after tasting. She told her boss, who kept assuring me there was nothing wrong and acted like I was stupid.

Is this a flavor that could happen from dirty lines?

Old 05-11-2012, 02:20 AM   #15
mitchcl640
Recipes 

I agree. Probably dirty beer line or sanitation problem. There was a local bar and grill that got caught filling their empty beer bottles with tap beer to stretch the dollar. It could be something like that. Back in the old west they used to pour any left over beer in the mugs into a barrel and serve it the next day. Not saying thats what they are doing but who knows. People do stupid things for a dollar.

Quick Reply