Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Local Pub - Brew On Tap Doesn't Taste Right

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
Logzor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Local Pub - Brew On Tap Doesn't Taste Right

What exactly do you say to a local bar if they beer on tap tastes bad? This place is right up the street so we like to walk up there when it's nice out. Lately we haven't been going because the beer always tastes awful.

If I knew what the problem was I might make a suggestion. What can I say while still being polite?

They don't have a lot on tap but we usually get the Yuengling Black & Tan or Lager.

What causes the bad flavor? What should they be doing differently? The carbonation usually seems OK, it's just the flavor that's off.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Balue
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Sounds like a cleaning and sanitation issue to me if this has gotten worse over time. If they are not properly cleaning and maintaining their equipment they might have some funky stuff growing in it.

: Black Tip Stout, Hopperhead IPA Up next The Blonde that went to India.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Two things are common, dirty tap lines and stale/old beer. I'd bet the first one. Honestly, I don't usually say anything, just take my business elsewhere - it's not my job to educate someone on the fact that they should be cleaning their tap lines regularly. Alot of places don't even realize that and they never do it.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
NervousDad
BFM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 203

I'd agree dirty tap lines. There is no excuse for that since they change out kegs so frequently it doesn't take long to run some cleaner through the lines.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Logzor
Recipes 

Yeah it must be dirty lines, I could see how Blue Moon might get stale but I've gotten some of their BCM on tap and it's got the same bad flavor.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
Bmorebrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Honestly, I don't usually say anything, just take my business elsewhere - it's not my job to educate someone on the fact that they should be cleaning their tap lines regularly.
Exactly. I wouldn't return to a place where I had to educate them how to cook the food either. This is not that different. I see this as a symptom of not doing things properly, and who knows how far this extends at this place.

For Science!

Old 02-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmorebrew View Post
Exactly. I wouldn't return to a place where I had to educate them how to cook the food either. This is not that different. I see this as a symptom of not doing things properly, and who knows how far this extends at this place.
It think "it depends". If you like the place and you want to come back, I'd mention it politely to the manager. If you prefer taking your business elsewhere, then I'd so so.

I have a favorite pub here in Columbia SC, and if things aren't quite right (other than the occasional mishap), I will definitely tell the manager. And since we're regulars, they DO listen to us.

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
PistolPete2
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I agree with the last post.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:34 AM   #9
CaptKevin
Recipes 

It is a very distinctive taste, it doesn't belong there. If I know the tap room is one I know cares, it will say something. Occasionally, the reaction is as if I've insulted them.

I once read an explanation of the fungus/bacteria that can grow/accumulate in a tap, but don't remember the term. Does anybody out there know the term?

Old 05-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #10
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

There is a brew pub in my town that has often poured a foul beer. When you confront the bartender they ALWAYS taste it before dumping it (they know their product)and 99% of the time will agree that it must have sat to long in the line. they pull the tap wide open and then give you a fresh one after they sample it to make sure it is correct. Also 99% of the time that one is free for you troubles.

I would certainly tell the server and see what happens. If they gave me a bag of crap for my troubles I would not go back. Fortunately this has NEVER happened.

Quick Reply