Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Local Homebrew Supply Stores

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2006, 04:11 PM   #1
McCall St. Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Local Homebrew Supply Stores

There is a wonderful "sticky" here with Homebrew Supply websites. I am wondering, has there ever been an effort here to put together a listing of local homebrew supply stores? I realize it would be a big list, but if forum members would do a little checking and contribute listings, the result could be a pretty comprehensive resource for dealers literally all over the world.

I did a little search last night for Milwaukee and I was frankly quite surprised by the number of stores we have here. I would think that it would be a bit of a difficult business to succeed in as a "brick and mortar" operation.

The other thing that struck me is that if we have about a half a dozen stores here in our area, homebrewing must be very popular.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2006, 04:20 PM   #2
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmditter
I did a little search last night for Milwaukee and I was frankly quite surprised by the number of stores we have here. I would think that it would be a bit of a difficult business to succeed in as a "brick and mortar" operation.
Unfortunately for me, the nearest LHBS is about an hour's drive away.

I've had the same thought about brick & mortar stores. My local LHBS certainly doesn't compete with MoreBeer and the like on either price or selection. I guess the thing the local store must provide to make up for it is expertise and service. In the store, you can get very detailed instructions on how to use things, suggestions for substituting ingrediants, etc.

If I had a store down the street from me, I'd definitely shop there. But I'd probably still order the pricier stuff (large amounts of malt extract, etc) online, because I'm cheap.

Old 02-17-2006, 06:08 PM   #3
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmditter
The other thing that struck me is that if we have about a half a dozen stores here in our area, homebrewing must be very popular.
Actually wine making is much more popular. If I remember correctly the guy at my LHBS said it was about 2-3 times more popular. By the way which store do you go to?

Old 02-17-2006, 06:21 PM   #4
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

My nearest is 3 hours away, but fortunately, I just found a local brewery that will sell me grain and whole hops and give me free yeast pitches.

No homebrew stores, but probably 6 breweries within my county. More like a dozen within 3 hours. Not a bad tradeoff as these things go

Cheers

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 02-18-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I am lucky, I guess. My HBS is about ten minutes away and we have several brew pubs within a twenty minute radius, including some winners from the GABF (Iron Hill, John Harvard's come to mind). Plus there is a restaurent ten minutes away with Paulener's Hefe on tap.

Old 02-18-2006, 05:21 PM   #6
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

yep, mine's 1.5 hours away. but we make a beer trip out of it. hit the HBS, lunch at a brewpub, then to a good tap house for a a pint or two.

www.whitelabs.com has a list of HBS by state if that helps.....

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 02-18-2006, 05:34 PM   #7
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 76

My LHBS is just down the street. In the past I did all my shopping on-line but the store by me has gotten much better and their prices are competitive. I like being able to go into the store and talk to an expert when I am buying my supplies. Besides Charlie P says to support your LHBS so I do.
I shop here:
http://www.thebrewhut.com/

Cheers,
Rich

Old 02-18-2006, 06:29 PM   #8
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sause
Actually wine making is much more popular. If I remember correctly the guy at my LHBS said it was about 2-3 times more popular. By the way which store do you go to?
I kind of noticed the popularity of wine making at one of the two stores I go to. I'm not a big wine drinker and don't really have any interest in making wine.

I usually go to the Frugal Homebrewer in Waukesha. I sometimes also go to the Frugal Homebrewer on National in West Allis. Which store to you go to?

Old 02-18-2006, 08:02 PM   #9
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
I usually go to the Frugal Homebrewer in Waukesha. I sometimes also go to the Frugal Homebrewer on National in West Allis. Which store to you go to?
The first and last time i went to the one in Waukesha they guy was a total prick so I tend to stick with the one on National Ave (same name 2 different owners and not affilated to each other any more).

If I dont go to the LHBS on National there is a decent store up on North Ave about 72nd ST I think. It's a shame The Purple Foot doesnt carry brewing supplys . . . I could literlly walk there in about 5 minutes.

Old 02-18-2006, 09:06 PM   #10
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default I was impressed

I was really impressed with this HB store I went to today. I searched out the the local stores to get the Kewler Kitz to try to get my sh*t together to be able to start grains. They were the only one to have it. Took a long time to get there and back but it was worth it. The place is called Cap N Cork and is located in the Detroit area of MI. The one thing that impressed me the most is that thats all they sell. Beer and wine brewing supples. Thats it. Nice size place and they seem to have a lot of the out of the "run of the mill" stuff. I have actually never seen a store JUST sell brewing stuff. Usually its a wine store.... or they sell something else (like gardening or hydroponics). In the hour I was there A LOT of people that went through the place too. They, from my perspective, are pretty much in the middle of nowhere and have a cornered market for that area. The owner was real nice too. I've been to places where the owners attitude makes you wonder how they are still in business. It does not look like they sell much online, but it does look like they are the place to go for Hops rhyzonmes, but you better order soon as the cut off time is March 1st!

http://www.capncorkhombrew.com/

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Quick Reply