Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Local Brewpub getting screwed...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #31
whoaru99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercher View Post
Neighbors are concerned about parking? Good heavens, it only seats about 30 -- how many cars are going to be coming through?
It doesn't take many if space is already tight. Around here, it's pretty rare to see more than one or two arrive per car most of the time.

Where I work, arriving a couple minutes earlier or later determines if you're going to walk a little way or from the relatively distant overflow parking. The difference there is this is somewhat in my control.

The locals don't really have any control over the business traffic and potential conficts with their parking schedules. I'd think most people can't just take off work 1/2 hour early every day to beat the Brew Pub traffic for the last remaining parking spots.

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #32
Grossy
Grossy Proudfoot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 17

What this issue really shows is the insane process of getting a liquor license and craft brew license.

I dont know of any other business that has to do this:

1. Buy the deed to the property\or rental agreement
  2. Build the brewery
  3. Then get all the inspections
  4. Then get all the permits
  5. Then get your neighbors approval
  6. Then get the finale license that allows you to sell your product.

No other small business would do this. The normal process is:
  1. Go to the the local government
  2. Present your plans
  3. Get all the permits
  4. Get final approval from the government
  5. Start building
  6. Sell product.

"That was proper 1420, that was."
- Old Gaffer at the Bywater Inn
highgravitybacon Likes This 
Old 06-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #33
TVM71
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First off, I'm in no way affiliated with this brewpub but live not too far away. Thanks to everyone who signed the petition and showing their support since I for one am all in favor of seeing a small business succeed, especially a brewpub. I guess I don't understand how this is an issue when the borough gave approval and AMTRAK gave their blessing for parking. Is it the best area...perhaps not, but it's a legal and approved area for a business. Hopefully it gets resolved sooner then later. As of now, I believe they are doing growlers so I'm going to see about making my way up there this weekend for a fill.

Cheers!

Be a winner...score a "Hat Trick"

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 06-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #34
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
It seems to be about 200(ish) feet from a church, don't you guys usually have something about not being able to open a bar close to church's?
I just visited Jamaica and one of the facts (mentioned by more than one shuttle driver/guide) was that nearly every church in Jamaica had a bar within 1-2 doors of it. They said that the women go to church, and the men go to the bar, and everyone leaves happy!

Edit: It took me a while to find the info, but the place is at 12 South Market Street in Mt. Joy, PA. There is indeed a church up the street on Main (in both directions), but this is far from a residential neighborhood as many have assumed from looking at the pictures in the linked article. There is a train track that runs across the street, and an Amtrack station (as noted) in the next block up. Look at the map, and you will see numerous other businesses in the area (and it is indeed, right in the first block off Main Street through Mt. Joy). I don't think these "neighbors" have a leg to stand on, and I'd bet this "parking issue" is a red herring invented by someone either disgruntled with the owners for some reason, or for some neo-prohibitionist ideals.
I may be traveling to York, PA on business in the near future, and if so, I will be sure to make a point to go and support this new craft brewery!
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Heady Topper Clone! Wild Cider?, Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej
People Like This 
Old 06-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #35
danbass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
It seems to be about 200(ish) feet from a church, don't you guys usually have something about not being able to open a bar close to church's?
There is an intersection in my hometown that has 3 bars and a church.

And that church has its own bar in the basement.

https://twitter.com/GoogleFacts/stat...56627448328192
On tap: Russian Imperial Stout (nitro), Imperial Red, Kentucky Common Rye, Ruination Clone.
Secondary: RedWine (Imperial Red x2)
Primary: Chocolate Rye Stout, Utopias Inspired 2nd attempt, Oberon Clone
On Deck: Imperial Red, Kentucky Common. TBD.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #36
TVM71
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Blog from Zuckfoltzfus (brewpub involved) if you're interested:

http://zuckfoltzfus.blogspot.com/

Be a winner...score a "Hat Trick"

Old 06-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #37
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 23

The brewpub's petition linked above says the neighbors' complaint petition claims the brewpub will take "their" parking (provided to them free by Amtrak) and will create noise in addition to the music (the brewpub has not secured a permit that would allow them to have live music, making that a moot point). As has been stated, this is not residential, it's zoned commercial. The zoning commission approved it and Amtrak has no problem, so basically I see this as businesses being mad that another business is opening and limiting the parking they're already mooching from a third party.

EDIT: To expand on that, if this was a market instead of a brewpub, there would be the same amount of parking taken up, the same commotion of people coming and going, but no Liquor Board to complain to to shut them down. They're taking advantage of loopholes because they don't want neighbors.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #38
Bennywisest
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

In Eastern PA its not uncommon to find businesses mixed into neighborhoods, especially in older areas. And more often then not this includes a bar or two. The PA Liquor Law gives the public too much ability to raise a big stink about liquor licensing. In the end most of the time it only ends up as a headache and added expenditures for the bar/brewpub/restaurant but the process is a major pain. They are probably just retired teetotalers with nothing more to do than ruin everyone elses day. Its a brewpub not a roadhouse poolhall.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #39
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVM71 View Post
Neigbor being a total tool over a local brewpub opening and not even willing to discuss anything:

http://fox43.com/2013/05/31/mount-jo...#axzz2V9q5J9g1

Hopefully they can resolve it and move on.

Some people just need a good old fashioned arse whipping.....

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Old 06-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #40
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
They're taking advantage of loopholes because they don't want neighbors.

Maybe a loophole thing, or maybe they'd be pissed if it was a market too but in that case they apparently have no recourse.

There is one thing for certain in all of this however, and that's that a "suck it up, Cupcake" approach likely isn't the reponse that will result in an amicable solution.

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Quick Reply