Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > LME gone sour, didn't realize and used it

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
BobbiLynn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Default LME gone sour, didn't realize and used it

Now I have 2.5 gallons of sour beer. I asked this question before but didn't get a serious answer, not a joke, I really want to know. If I weren't so worried about getting sick from it, it would be more palatable. It's like a rotten fruit kind of sour. Or like sweet iced tea that went bad, sat out in the sun too long. I'm guessing the ABV is around 5%-6%. High because after 2 weeks, it was so horrible that I added corn sugar, honey, and a little fresh yeast. To try and kill the sourness. Then bottled a week or so later and first one I opened gushed out. Yeah, kind of like sweet iced tea that went sour. Will the alcohol kill anything in it that would make me sick? Kind of reminds me of drinking Miller High Life in my younger years and that did make me sick.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2024 Times on 1773 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

If it's really nasty,time won't save it. I think you should dump it if it's that bad.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Yeah, i'd say you've got a bacteria making it sour such as lacto or acetobactir. It's very common. The gusher helps to reinforce that diagnosis. Will it kill you to drink it? Probably not. Will it be gross and possibly make you sick? Yup.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
Patro
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Alcohol should keep any pathogens out.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2024 Times on 1773 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

Microbes,yes. But these are slimy,enzyme ridden sporatazoans. They form what looks like bubbly active mold colonies.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Just popped all the caps off the bottles, they are gushing all over the front steps. A dark-ish thick foam pouring out and the first one, after gushing, has white bubbly globs on top. I had heard about people making sour beers on purpose, but I don't think this is the way to go about it. Don't want to risk getting sick from sporatazoans. Should have just dumped and not bothered bottling, I guess. The taste of the beer wasn't even the worst part, the worst part was the after taste.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
MotorcycleMatt
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Your not going to get sick from it, but it sounds like you caught an infection. Time to sanitize the hell out of whatever that beer has touched or replace it.

Quick Reply