Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 'Liquid Crack' feeling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
BrewDey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 'Liquid Crack' feeling?

In college, my friends and I frequented this local brewpub. We dubbed one of their brews 'liquid crack' for the following reasons:
When you'd drink a pint, you'd get a pretty intense alcohol and body buzz that would subside not too long afterwards. Of course, it was really tasty stuff so you'd want the taste and the buzz some more. No matter how much money I'd bring to that pub, I'd never go home with any...yet it was very rare that people got really sloppy or out of control...yet the beer seemed much stronger than standard brews.

The feeling from macrobrews or even the bigger craft brews like Sam Adams, etc...is that they 'accumulate' more, as in-if you drink a lot, even over a long period of time-you'll get groggier and sloppier. But in this recent batch of homebrew-the buzz is similar to that of the liquid crack.

Does this make any sense? Is there any chemical reason that the body handles microbrew/homebrews different than the bigger ones?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
gonzoflick

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

We used to drink the bum wine Cisco back in the day.. I swear they put "liquid crack" in there because I could never drink more than one bottle without becoming completely "cracked"out feeling.

On tap: NOTHING

Old 03-21-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
ayrton

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, depending on how your brewpub did things, you may have been drinking unfiltered beer, so perhaps you were getting some yeast sediment which is full of vitamin B, one of the vitamins whose loss will contribute to a hangover. What was the 'liquid crack' called?

Conditioning: None
Drinking: None (!)
Recently Kicked: None
Up Next: Beats me!

Old 03-21-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
BrewDey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrton
What was the 'liquid crack' called?
The vitamin B makes sense because it would give you a bit of a jolt of energy too. It was the Barrelhouse in Cincy...all the beers were similar in this way, but they had 'Honeysuckle Blond' that was the particular culprit...it went down so easy.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:12 PM   #5
ayrton

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewDey
The vitamin B makes sense because it would give you a bit of a jolt of energy too. It was the Barrelhouse in Cincy...all the beers were similar in this way, but they had 'Honeysuckle Blond' that was the particular culprit...it went down so easy.
Looking at some reviews of it, it looks like it actually has some honey in it, which contains even more vitamin B, although I'm not sure if that survives the boil.
Conditioning: None
Drinking: None (!)
Recently Kicked: None
Up Next: Beats me!

Old 03-21-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have never had a beer (or any other alcoholic beverage) that even remotely approximates a coke or crack buzz. *shrug*

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornkob
I have never had a beer (or any other alcoholic beverage) that even remotely approximates a coke or crack buzz. *shrug*
Agreed, but mezcal, for me, comes close. Especially when you spill some of a $200 bottle and you are *forced* to snort it off the table.

.....I didn't say that.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:02 PM   #8
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I fear my Maibock may fall into that category. It's on the Beano diet, down to 1.026 now and I just threw in one last tablet (for a total of four). I took a sample and tasted it.

First, after sitting still for a month and a half, it's the clearest beer I've ever made. Also the lightest. It tastes like water. I can discern almost no flavor to speak of. Very little body as well. I could drink 4 glasses and like drinking water, I wouldn't hesitate to have another...

But it's at 6% ABV and counting!!!!

Old 03-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #9
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewDey
In college, my friends and I frequented this local brewpub. We dubbed one of their brews 'liquid crack' for the following reasons:
When you'd drink a pint, you'd get a pretty intense alcohol and body buzz that would subside not too long afterwards. Of course, it was really tasty stuff so you'd want the taste and the buzz some more. No matter how much money I'd bring to that pub, I'd never go home with any...yet it was very rare that people got really sloppy or out of control...yet the beer seemed much stronger than standard brews.

The feeling from macrobrews or even the bigger craft brews like Sam Adams, etc...is that they 'accumulate' more, as in-if you drink a lot, even over a long period of time-you'll get groggier and sloppier. But in this recent batch of homebrew-the buzz is similar to that of the liquid crack.

Does this make any sense? Is there any chemical reason that the body handles microbrew/homebrews different than the bigger ones?

I know what your saying. After my first HB I immediately noticed this feeling. You know its different and hard to describe the physical difference. I think of it as just getting mellow. I've gone out to the brew pubs and usually have to take SWMBO otherwise I'd be DUI material. You don't want to stop drinking. This is what it was like at my 40th B-day last year. We went to a place called Granite City Brewery (Its a chain!). I like their IPA the best.

http://www.gcfb.net/appetizers.htm#Brewery Selections

http://www.gcfb.net/default.htm

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Quick Reply