Limit to Gallons Brewed ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upperNY01brewer

Reaction score
:eek::eek:Is there any states that limit the amount of gallons that can be homebrewed ? I was tol that New York state limits home wine makers to 200 gallons of wine per year, and got me wondering if beer is also limited. But how the hell would they enforce that anyways... Curious

In most states, it's 100 gallons per adult household member, up to 200 gallons per household total.

The Federal Law that permits homebrewing limits everyone, in EVERY state, to 100gal for the first adult and 100gal more for the second adult in a household, for a total of no more than 200gal per household (even if there is a third adult). No state can allow more than that, and I don't believe that any of the states where brewing is legal limit it to less.

As to whether it is enforced, well that's a different story. Do what you need to do and don't talk specific numbers and the consensus is that you will be ok. ;)

My understanding is you are exempt from taxes and a bond if you brew 100 gallons or less, (200 per household with 2+ adults).

I think you are allowed to exceed that provided you pay taxes and secure a bond.

But if you brew 350 gallons no one will catch you provided you keep your mouth shut and don't go bragging on the internet

200 gallons is the limit. Why 200? They had to put "something" in writing. I figure it is like the speed limit. They have to have a "number" to enforce, or in this case to ignore and not enforce. I have searched and searched and I have not found one single case of someone being cited/arrested for brewing over 200 gallons a year. It simply doesn't happen! Even if you were to put it out on the internet I really don't think TTB has the time, resources, or desire to attempt to prosecute someone based on what they "said" on an internet forum.

Latest posts

Back