Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Like the highest alcohol, just to say you can

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 08:58 PM   #21
smmcdermott
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

In all seriousness...who the F**K cares. This is just another example of some stupid A Hole brewing a S**t beer just to get in the news. Sure if I had pounds of hops I could do this too, but I like to drink my beer and this one sounds gross.

Congratulations, your an R-tard

Done Ranting

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #22
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
I've seen them range from the 67IBU up to the 300's
from a quick search "pliney clone recipe" these are on the first page of listings.

Pliney Clone at 243IBU

Pliney Clone 246IBU
Those are formulaic estimations, not measurements--formulas are incredibly inaccurate. For instance, plugging in 22.5 liters of 1.090 with the hop schedule of the second recipe and an 11 liter partial boil gives me 193 IBUs if I choose to use Rager for the estimate, but just 88(!!) IBUs if I use Tinseth.

That's not a small difference, and shows that you really can't trust formulas to get you near the correct IBU value.

Even when you're in "normal" IBU ranges formulaic estimates are lucky to get within 20-30% of the actual IBU value--Brad Sturgeon and Paul Childress did a great talk on this for BBR back in July of 2007. Once you get outside the range of normalcy, they tend to be much farther off.

Basically, you should pick one formula and stay with it so that you have some sort of known guide to use when tinkering with a recipe. That's quite valuable. You just shouldn't assume that the number it spits out is very closely related to the actual number of IBUs in your beer.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #23
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

Here's why the calculators are wrong:

Note that if you extend them, the lines hit zero utilization. mg/L = IBU

Combine that with the isomerization inefficiencies:

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply