The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Like Finding a Band-Aid in your Half-Priced Beer...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 03:02 AM   #1
Deacon1856
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Like Finding a Band-Aid in your Half-Priced Beer...

*WARNING - I am long winded. This post is lengthy.*

I like deals. A lot. I'm not rich...closer to poor, so I like to find deals on brewing stuff when possible. Enter this online brew supply store...

I want to brew EdWorts Bavarian Hefe, and it calls for an ounce of Hallertau (3 - 4% AAU). So off I go in search of the ingredients.

On the site in question I find the red German wheat, great deal. I find the Pils, great deal. AND I find the Hallertau for $1.99 an ounce!! Is it a sign from the universe that I am SUPPOSED to brew this beer??? I think so. So I buy 4 ounces just to have some in reserve.

I really feel like I've just gotten a deal. I mean I'm already looking up other things I can use this fabulous HOARD of Hallertau I've gotten. Then, today, my package arrives.

There, in my midst, are 4 ounces of Hallertau with an AAU of 1.5%.

Something seems amiss, I say to myself. So I'm off to the online retailer for answers. That's where I encounter the * attached to the "alpha acids" section of the hop information. Shame on me for not noticing.

According to the *: "The shortage of hops will require us to buy hops from a variety of sources. This fact combined with the adverse weather conditions in hop growing regions means that the alpha acid percentage will vary so much that we can no longer post exact alpha acid percentages on our website. If you need to know the alpha acid of a particular hop, email us." (Consider this a paraphrase)

All this to say that I feel duped. Probably it was my own stupidity for not noticing the asterisks. Probably my own stupidity for feeling like I was getting a good deal.

All I know is that after some calculation I'm glad I went ahead and got 4 ounces of the hop because that's what I would need to get my IBU's where they need to be.

The online retailer KNEW they were selling 1.5% Hallertau. Why didn't they just say so? Maybe I'm blowing it a little out of proportion, maybe I'm not. All I know is that my tiny, insignificant, menial brew budget will be going elsewhere from now on. Even if that means I have to shop somewhere else.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, I'm an idiot for going back even when my better instincts told me not to.

I have respect for those who run the store as they have been nothing but helpful to me when I had previous issues with their business, but now I'm done. This is the third issue out of four orders. I know it's not a big loss to them, soda money really, but I just had to get this off my chest. As you can tell by the length of my post I am one who vents.

Feel free to flame me if you feel I am unjustified. I'm sure there's a nuance of business somewhere that I am overlooking.

All respect -

Deacon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 03:35 AM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

I never buy ingredients from AHS... just too many $$$, so I never noticed thier hop disclosure. I see now, there are no AAs listed for any hop. Seeing as though all other online stores DO list thier AA, it stinks that you got an almost useless hop for the same price that Morebeer is selling all thier hops ($2 an ounce)

EDIT: There are a few stores selling what they call Hallertau Select, a 1.5AA Hallertau. They advertise them as such, and differentiate them from thier other Hallertau varieties. Midwest for instance has them for $1.25 an ounce... sounds like this is what you recieved from AHS.

Morebeer has excellent pricing... I mean excellent, and free shipping if you put together a couple brews in one order. Midwest is right up there too with very reasonably priced ingredients, I shop both, but Morebeer almost exclusively and I have always had great service.

Keg2- Oktoberfest
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Last edited by The Pol; 11-04-2008 at 03:47 AM.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:41 AM   #3
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I buy all of my hops from Freshops and Hops Direct these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-04-2008, 03:50 AM   #4
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
I buy all of my hops from Freshops and Hops Direct these days.

+1 on FRESHOPS... $2 an ounce for 2008 hops!

Old 11-04-2008, 04:36 AM   #5
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

i know he's had that disclaimer up for more than a year, ever since the 2007 shortage.

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 11-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
Deacon1856
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just placed a $70 with Morebeer for an upcoming brew, and I've been wanting to give Freshops a try. I feel like I need to score some kind of vacuum sealer before going with Freshops just so I can keep everything nice and hoppy.

I can appreciate a disclaimer. Any retailer has all the right in the world to disclaim anything they wish. Personally it's not worth it to me to take the extra step to email the retailer to get a vital piece of information. Some people will, and that's great. I do not happen to be one of them.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #7
The Pol
Recipes 

Well, look at it this way... if you are shopping at Morebeer or Freshops, it is like you are ALWAYS buying things on sale, when they aren't, really. MB is my fav, planning three brews in Dec that will cost me less than $70 for everything... that is impressive.

Keg2- Oktoberfest
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Old 11-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Most of the hops I've gotten form NB have been on the low side, even lower than they list for AA sometimes.

I've went to B3 to make orders many times but so often their out of one thing I want so I make my order elsewhere. AHS is the only major online seller I've not ordered from but this is no reason not too. Maybe I will next time.

It would be nice to find a place with good shipping prices that can get stuff here in less than a week. MW's fedex shipping is a real plus, but B3 is the closer and has more shipping options. Their USPS option is great for small things.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
missing link
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just bought some hallertau ay my LHBS and instead of 4% they were almost 7%. I guess I got a good deal except I still had to buy 2 packages and throw some away instead using 2 whole packages at 4%

Linc

Tap#1 = Beer
Tap#2 = Beer

THey change to often to keep up with the Sig.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #10
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing link View Post
I just bought some hallertau ay my LHBS and instead of 4% they were almost 7%. I guess I got a good deal except I still had to buy 2 packages and throw some away instead using 2 whole packages at 4%

Linc
THROW THEM AWAY? WHY!!

Keg2- Oktoberfest
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Quick Reply