Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Lightly Carbonated Scotch Ale and a Contest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
DylansDad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lightly Carbonated Scotch Ale and a Contest

Hey Guys,
I made a Scotch Ale a couple of months ago and during the process I let it ferment too long and (according to the local homebrew shop) that's why it didn't carbonate fully; the yeast was too dormant by the time I bottled it.

So long story short, I think it's a great beer and the little bit of carbonation it has I think makes it more enjoyable. If I enter it in a contest will the lack of carbonation severely dock me in points?

Thanks,
Dave
Cheers!

mmmmmmmmmmm Beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
ChrisKennedy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Only if the judges suck.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKennedy View Post
Only if the judges suck.
Now, now. If the carbonation level is to style, it should not hurt. If it is flat, they will ding you. For a Scotch ale, the carbonation should be "moderate". So if it is low carbed, that's a flaw, so they will likely ding you for it.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
Sigafoos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mouthfeel is... I want to say two points. (looks up) Damn, five (I'm not a BJCP judge yet, but I'd like to be in a few years, so I like to test myself). That includes body, though, so at most you'd be dinged 2-3 points which, when taken out of 50, won't kill you.

I entered an undercarbed (which I liked for its smoothness) irish red into AWOG and the judges didn't like it for reasons other than the mouthfeel, so the carbonation wasn't an issue.

CBW website | Twitter | Facebook | HBT thread

Niagara Association of Homebrewers ex-President
Live in or around Buffalo? Join NAH for fun and excitement!

[1:47pm] chefmike: and dont listen to sigafoos!
[1:47pm] Sigafoos: that's generally good advice

Old 05-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
DylansDad
Recipes 

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to completely bomb. I might call it a little flawed since it isn't as carbed as I wanted it. However, I'm interesting seeing what they say about it as a whole. So I guess I'll enter it.

On a side note:
Anyone else entering (or entered, since entry closes on Saturday) in the Alameda County Fair Competition?

mmmmmmmmmmm Beer.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigafoos View Post
Mouthfeel is... I want to say two points. (looks up) Damn, five (I'm not a BJCP judge yet, but I'd like to be in a few years, so I like to test myself). That includes body, though, so at most you'd be dinged 2-3 points which, when taken out of 50, won't kill you.

I entered an undercarbed (which I liked for its smoothness) irish red into AWOG and the judges didn't like it for reasons other than the mouthfeel, so the carbonation wasn't an issue.
Mouthfeel might only be a few points, but carbonation levels will change the entire perception of a beer. It will change the flavor profile (more carbonation makes a beer taste more dry) and even the perception of complexity. It isn't just about mouthfeel. This could sink an otherwise good effort.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
DylansDad
Recipes 

Good points. IMHO the mouthfeel on this is great because the carbonation isn't overpowering. However I am not a judge and wouldn't know where to start. I just know I enjoy drinking it.

mmmmmmmmmmm Beer.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Enter it. They'll tell you how far from style it is, not how good it is. Competitions are half opinion and half rules. That's about it.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #9
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 509 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Don't take this the wrong way, but you are American, right? The level of carbonation that you are accustomed to, and possibly expecting from your Scotch ale might well be inappropriate for the style, even though it seems very low to you. British ales are typically mildly carbed, and maybe even more so than you are assuming.

Buy a bottle of McKewan's and do a comparison?

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 05-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #10
axr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylansDad View Post
Hey Guys,
I made a Scotch Ale a couple of months ago and during the process I let it ferment too long and (according to the local homebrew shop) that's why it didn't carbonate fully; the yeast was too dormant by the time I bottled it.

So long story short, I think it's a great beer and the little bit of carbonation it has I think makes it more enjoyable. If I enter it in a contest will the lack of carbonation severely dock me in points?

Thanks,
Dave
Cheers!
Hey DylansDad-

Did you find your recipe on HBT? I'm interested in brewing a Scotch Ale for my next brew and have been searching through the recipe database looking for a decent recipe. Was yours Extract or AG? Would you mind sharing it?

Thanks
axr

Quick Reply