New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Light Belgian ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 12:54 AM   #1
RickyLopez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Light Belgian ale

I live my Belgian ales and have made a few. I've tried Sam Adams Belgian session ale, and loved it! Very Belgian taste, but light like lager. I'm thinking I could probably achieve this my skipping the sugar additions and using pilsner malts? Any suggestions out there???

outdoor patio beer drinking with loved ones in sunny souther california>night club syrupy mixed drinks anywhere else with skonkas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I just brewed a Belgian like this, kind of modeled after Northern Brewer's Patersbier. It was:

OG: 1.044
FG: 1.010
IBU: 20
ABV: 4.5

7.0 lbs Belgian Pilsner
0.5 lb Aromatic
0.5 lb Turbinado

1.0 oz Saaz (4.2%) - 90 min
0.5 oz Saaz (4.2%) - 20 min

Wyeast 3787, fermented ~70*F

Granted, it's only been in the bottles for 2 weeks, but I did open one up last night and it's pretty easy to tell that this will be a very light easy drinking Belgian that won't have you hanging onto the floor after a couple pints.

Bottled: RIS ; RIS 2 ; BDSA ; Tripel 3 ; English IPA 1 ; Session IPA 2 ; Saison 9 ; Singel 2 ; Porter 2
Kegged: empty

Old 10-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
HerbieHowells
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am re-brewing the Brewing Classic Styles/ Jamil Show Belgian Pale Ale. It sounds like what you are looking for- not too high gravity, every day drinking beer, with a little Belgian yeast character.

The timing of your interest in lighter Belgian ales couldn't be better, by the way. One of the special release yeasts from White Labs for November and December of this year is going to be the Antwerp strain, which is supposed to give you more lager like qualities than a run of the mill Belgian workhorse.

Quick Reply