Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Which light beer to make?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
Cider123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Which light beer to make?

I have this problem of looking at my next "on deck" recipe before I even make the one "at bat". I'm making my Bitter next weekend, but now that I'm set on the recipe, I'm already looking at what comes next.

I'm ready to make something light and refreshing, but I don't want the body of a lager. Being a newb, I don't know how to describe it best. I want something that has the frothiness and body of a wit, but not as heavy or spicy. Also a bit malt forward rather than dry. I don't want something that looks crystal clear like a much better tasting BMC.

I have been through this forum, my books and Beersmith a hundred times.

I am dizzy, going over and over the differences/similarities of a Kolsch, a blonde ale, an altbeer, Yooper's fizzy yellow beer, and a munich helles. With the exception of the Blonde, I can't find any of these in the stores.

I'll probably just pick one and start working my way through them. Any thoughts where I should start? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
nasty_rabbit
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts

Look at BierMunchers "Centenial Blonde"

Old 01-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2544 Times on 1495 Posts
Likes Given: 5722

I brewed this for a wedding back in October and everyone who tried it loved it. BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde is also very popular, so I would second that even though I've never brewed it myself.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 01-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
Intimnasc
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You might try Northern Brewers Honey Weizen. At least give it a read and see what you think. Everyone I have served it to loved it.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
thood6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The centennial blonde is a good one. Or go to Austinhomebrew and look at their golden ales section. I just ordered a kolsch and honey blonde from there to make for a wedding.

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
~Ernest Hemingway

Primary: CDJ IPA #1, Sea Cow Pale #1
Secondary: HUH?
Bottle: Scroatmeal Stout, Kolsch, Honey Blonde, Imperial Stout, Raspberry Stout, Blackberry Stout
Keg: Pumpkin Porter, Vanilla Porter
Future: Irish Red, Centennial Blonde, White Ale, Whiskey Imperial Stout #1, Saison #1

Old 01-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3177 Times on 1984 Posts
Likes Given: 2699

A witbier with a bit of orange zest at the end of the boil is about as refreshing as they get. Keep the OG under 1.055.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 48

A tripel is a good beer to make as well. It's a bit spicy, light colored, and has some characteristics of a wit. It won't be an extremely malty beer, but depending on the recipe you use, there can be a lot more grain flavor and mouthfeel. Karmeliet clones are a good example, because they use oats and wheat as well as barley and pils.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok, I think I'll go with the Centennial Blonde first. I'll follow it as listed, except I don't like Cascade so I will need to change the hops. I can maintain the same IBU's using Beersmith. I see folks talking about Williamette, Saaz and Tett being good hops for blondes. I prefer earthy to citrusy.

Quick Reply